Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting tripod

whats your recommendations on a budget

was looking at the BOG deathgrip seemed awesome to be hands free for glassing etc

any alternatives out there? thanks

Pig saddle is another option for the money the Deathgrip is hard to beat

Comment

you dont think the deathgrip tripod is a little "too" beefy?

Comment

What type of gun are you using?

I had a Carbon Fiber Bog Death Grip and it was bulky and heavy to me. I bought a smaller framed Vanguard Carbon Fiber with ball head and I like it much better. Ball head has an Arca rail mount so I can either throw my Death Grip lite head on it or just use the Arca rail on my AR. It ain’t budget friendly though.

Jason picked up one of these to try out and he’s very happy with it. I held it the other night and it’s really light.

Neewer 79 Inches Carbon Fiber Camera Tripod Monopod with 2 Center Axis, 360 Degree Ball Head, 1/4 inch Quick Shoe Plate and Bag for DSLR Camera Video Camcorder Travel and Work,Load up to 26.5 pounds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJ2DH59...FNT9MB55XBZW5R

Keep in mind you’ll still need to buy an Arca rail or an Ultra Light Death Grip to mount gun

Comment

I was thinking just that. that I needed to get a less bulky tripod and put that head on it. as I am not climbing everest to hunt but wont carry it too long if its over 8#

thanks for info

Comment

Is the Kopfjager K800 CF Tripod w/ Reaper grip worth $600? Only weighs 3.5 pounds...

Comment

Carbon tripod with an ARCA head and plate on gun is the way to go, glass off it with spotter and binos and shoot off it. More stability, versatility and weight & bulk savings over using a hog saddle or gun clamp.

Let your budget and stability needs dictate the legs and head you get. Many options from sub $100 Amazon tripods to $1000 plus Really Right Stuff tripods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one I am using for thermal pig stalking and coyote calling right now that I really like. In fact I like it so well I just ordered a second one. Had to order the second because my daughter likes mine so well she calls dibs on it every time we hunt. It sure might not meet your definition of budget though.

Tripods it seems there is always a tradeoff between weight and stability. To get light weight and high stability it is going to cost money, no way around it. The No Name I am using is only 4.6 lbs, but rated for 55 lb load and is pretty dang stable. No, its not a top end RRS. But I think it is a very good setup for the money.

Anyways, it is the No Name tripod from Two Vets Sporting Goods. Tripod is $415 and then you will need a head. My first one has their 55 ball head with QR ARCA plate, the second one I ordered I got the LeFoto 75mm levelling bowl with QR ARCA. I have tried the Pig Saddle in the past and it was OK, but nowhere near what an ACRA plate is like. I also have a Reaper Grip with an ARCA mount on the bottom of it that I can put on that tripod for bolt guns that do not have an ARCA plate on the gun itself. IMO the Reaper Grip is waaay ahead of the Pig Saddle for that. I will carry a gun on the tripod in the Reaper Grip, but would not do that with the Pig Saddle.

Bog Death grip isn't bad for the money, but those aluminum ones are heavy. The grip part grips decent, but the swivel leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I have a friend that has one as a loaner and he had me retrofit the top of it with an Innorel 42 ball head to make it smoother and faster. But it is still heavy, lol.

Also, Two Vets does give a veterans discount if that applies and if you are interested.
                Last edited by Jethro; 04-27-2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I use a Primos trigger stick tripod in the Jim Shockey edition. It is an older one but I use my camera ball heads etc. on it all the time.

No way I would take a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod at $800 dollars into the pig brush.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Up here peanut planting time starts this week. They can do thousands of $$$ a night in damage, replanting costs. We aren't busting through brush with our tripods. We are stalking open planted fields. Shots start up close if you stalk right, but can get long before the pigs get out of the field. The sounders are usually anywhere from 5 to 50 pigs. The goal is to kill every pig possible.

Multiple long stalks through plowed/planted sand every night, weight becomes an issue. Stability is an issue for long shots. For us finding a good blend of weight, stability, cost is important.

I know our situation is not normal compared to what many people need. Just trying to give insight into what we use and why. But I can see how what we use would be good for folks in other situations as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Up here peanut planting time starts this week. They can do thousands of $$$ a night in damage, replanting costs. We aren't busting through brush with our tripods. We are stalking open planted fields. Shots start up close if you stalk right, but can get long before the pigs get out of the field. The sounders are usually anywhere from 5 to 50 pigs. The goal is to kill every pig possible.

Multiple long stalks through plowed/planted sand every night, weight becomes an issue. Stability is an issue for long shots. For us finding a good blend of weight, stability, cost is important.

I know our situation is not normal compared to what many people need. Just trying to give insight into what we use and why. But I can see how what we use would be good for folks in other situations as well.
                      Still would recommend Primos Trigger Stick Tripod Jim Shockey Edition.

You can use it for everything from laying down to sitting to kneeling to standing up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                        you dont think the deathgrip tripod is a little "too" beefy?
                        I like mine a lot. My 9-year-old took her first deer last season using one standing up in a field.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback. I ordered a death grip light for $58 and now am looking for a tripod i can live with.

Found a Neewer at less than 4 lbs but holds over 27#. Thats over 3x the weight of my rifle. Think it might work

A little spray paint camo and I think I am done

Comment

Working...
                          X