Propane House Use Time Averages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane House Use Time Averages

Hey, short version. We have moved into an old farm house, I've always had Atmos.
    We are running off propane. I am just curious if anybody can give any insight into use amounts?

This house the heater, stove, and a space heater run off the propane. It's a typical old 3 bed farmhouse. Maybe 1600sq ft. I know how to check the gauge. I'm just curious on a ballpark

Just had 100 Gallons put in, should I expect that to last a month? 2 weeks? 2 months?

I usually keep heat on 62-65 and been keeping a fire in the woodburning stove when home. Water heater is electric.

Tried googling but answers were all over the map.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Do you own the house. If so put a wood burning stove in central room. We had one and it helped a lot. Without one you will use a lot of propane when it's cold. At least 100 gals/ month.

Comment

Being that it’s an “old farm house” I’m going to assume that the insulation is not ideal and single pane windows are probably in use? With that being taken into account as well as what you have stated I would estimate 2-3 months at the minimum. If you try to conserve I don’t see why it couldn’t last you 5-6 during the summer months. Stove won’t use hardly any but that central heat and wall heater are going to be where I think you’ll use most of it.

Comment

We had a 500 gal tank at our old house and it powered our furnace, stove, hot water heater, and fireplace. We kept the furnace on about 69 or 70. The house was 3500 sq ft but a new build and very efficient. If I remember correctly we would have to fill it 3-4 times per year - obviously mostly during the cold months.

Your appliances should have a fuel usage rating to help give you a better idea for your situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Playthewind View Post
          Being that it’s an “old farm house” I’m going to assume that the insulation is not ideal and single pane windows are probably in use? With that being taken into account as well as what you have stated I would estimate 2-3 months at the minimum. If you try to conserve I don’t see why it couldn’t last you 5-6 during the summer months. Stove won’t use hardly any but that central heat and wall heater are going to be where I think you’ll use most of it.
          This is my predicament, old single paned windows. Drafty 3300 sf
          Burn rate is low in summer (4-5% )
          winter = 50-60% per month
          500 gallon x80% fill =400 gallon
          So 200-300 gallons per month in winter

Comment

A lot will depend on weather of course. If it turns cold and stays cold, might get a month. If it keeps going like it has been thus far, could get a couple months out of it. Best thing to do is keep a check on it when it gets cold. You can get an idea how much you use after a couple of real cold days.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              A lot will depend on weather of course. If it turns cold and stays cold, might get a month. If it keeps going like it has been thus far, could get a couple months out of it. Best thing to do is keep a check on it when it gets cold. You can get an idea how much you use after a couple of real cold days.
              Our supplier sends out everyone a daily burn rate and what % you want it filled ( ours is 30% due to last February and lack of delivery)
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Do you own the house. If so put a wood burning stove in central room. We had one and it helped a lot. Without one you will use a lot of propane when it's cold. At least 100 gals/ month.
                We're renting. But do have a wood burning stove in central room. I pretty much keep it rolling anytime we're home if it is cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Playthewind View Post
                  Has been remodeled, re insulated, new skirting, and double paned windows everywhere. Still some drafts, but not as bad as I'm sure it was.

Comment

Figure the total BTU's of you appliances at 100%, propane has 100,000 BTU's per gallon. That will get you pretty close.

Comment

I have a 150 or 200 gallon tank. Used to fill it about every 8-10 months when i had three space heaters. I installed mini splits with heat pumps and fill every 18 months or so.

Tankless water heater, gas dryer, gas stove. Single man

Comment

Here’s a trend chart for ours on a 250 gallon tank. We have (2) 50 gallon water heaters, gas cooktop, outdoor fireplace (just a log lighter) and heater for the hot tub.

The huge drop is when I forgot to turn off the spa during a cold spell. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just tell your propane guy “keep it full”.

He will check it monthly in the winter and every 3-4 months in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                          X