Any Gout Sufferers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lip View Post
    For you guys taking Allopurinol, are you also drinking the tart cherry juice or just controlling with meds?
    Lip
    I only take the meds allopurinol to control my gout. It’s been years since I have had a flare up. My dr does still test for uric acid levels once a year.

Comment

Appreciate the quick reply guys. My Allopurinol was just bumped up to 200 mg. Since Uric acid is still elevated.

Comment

Just the Allopurinol. My doc started me at 100mg, and it just barely helped. Settled on 300mg and been great ever since. I was at 200mg for just a few days while ramping up to 300mg.

Hope it helps you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
          indomethacin right now....
          Allopurinol for prevention.
          x10 !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
            Appreciate the quick reply guys. My Allopurinol was just bumped up to 200 mg. Since Uric acid is still elevated.
            That’s the way mine went Lip started at 100 worked up to 200 been there ever since. Good luck.

Comment

I have a current thread about my mom and her becoming ill and suffering crazy hallucinations and we believe it was from the indomethacin she started a couple of days prior for her gout. Other symptoms were severe headache, vomiting, and extreme weakness. She fell twice in the middle of the night trying to get up and walk on her own. The 2nd time we took her to the ER. Luckily she landed softly on carpet both times and suffered no injuries. As soon as we discontinued the indomethacin she responded and was completely back to normal in 24hrs.
              We don't know for sure the med was the culprit but all the symptoms she had are possible side effects of the med. They ran every test and scan they could in the ER and came up with zilch so by process of elimination we believe it was the cause. Her podiatrist who prescribed it believes it was as well.
              I'm not saying anyone shouldn't use it. Just want to put it out there so others might be aware of these possible symptoms in case they run across them as well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
                I take allopurinol every day and I still get flares. Doc said stop eating red meat, seafood, and stop drinking alcohol!!!!! Told him well I guess I’m going to keep getting gout lol
                My VA Doctor prescribe this for me. Works great.

Comment

Walmart house brand tart cherry capsules. Sometimes, they are hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    I have a current thread about my mom and her becoming ill and suffering crazy hallucinations and we believe it was from the indomethacin she started a couple of days prior for her gout. Other symptoms were severe headache, vomiting, and extreme weakness. She fell twice in the middle of the night trying to get up and walk on her own. The 2nd time we took her to the ER. Luckily she landed softly on carpet both times and suffered no injuries. As soon as we discontinued the indomethacin she responded and was completely back to normal in 24hrs.
                    We don't know for sure the med was the culprit but all the symptoms she had are possible side effects of the med. They ran every test and scan they could in the ER and came up with zilch so by process of elimination we believe it was the cause. Her podiatrist who prescribed it believes it was as well.
                    I'm not saying anyone shouldn't use it. Just want to put it out there so others might be aware of these possible symptoms in case they run across them as well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Agree. Be careful what you are taking with Indomethacin because it can have negative effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      Indomethacin is doing it's thing as I'm getting better slowly. Night time still sucks as my sheets are apparently made of rubber allowing no smooth movement across feet without triggering pain!
                      My doctor has me on allopurinol for daily maintenance. Used to be 300mg/d and now down to 200mg/d. But it’s a must take every day.
                      If I feel a really sore or stiff joint at night or when I wake up, my Dr prescribed 5mg prednisone tablets. It’s a steroid and really knocks out the pain and swelling fast when doing the daily 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 taper.
                      Black cherry juice also works well to shorten the inflammation period, with or without the prednisone steroid. If you can stand it, riding a stationary bike for exercise and drinking lots of water can help with flushing the uric acid crystals that are likely the cause of the pain…at least it’s worked for me.

Comment

My doctor also has me on allopurinol daily. If I start to feel a tingle in my ankle, I take colchicine to break up the crystals.

Comment

I have battled Gout for a few years. When it flares up, it is horrible! Mostly in my left big toe…never my right one??? Had it in my left ankle once. When my toe has it, just the sheet on the toe is excruciating!

I take Allopurinol daily and Colcrys when I have an attack.

I ain’t giving up red meat or shellfish…maybe alcohol but not the food I enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            I have battled Gout for a few years. When it flares up, it is horrible! Mostly in my left big toe…never my right one??? Had it in my left ankle once. When my toe has it, just the sheet on the toe is excruciating!

I agree with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

You shouldn't have to, just not back to back to back. Your system needs breaks for the purines to be broken down. The only way for the body to do that is with uric acid.

My last bad flare up was last Spring after eating shrimp on Friday, Steak on Saturday, and a crawfish boil on Sunday. By Tuesday I couldn't walk without support. Careful with the venison meats too.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                                My doctor also has me on allopurinol daily. If I start to feel a tingle in my ankle, I take colchicine to break up the crystals.
                                ^^^^^
                                BINGO! Great that your Dr writes you colchicine to have on hand. Mine does too. That's what works for me.

Try only taking ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation, not aspirin. Aspirin will trigger more uric acid production. Also, ice packs. Never heat.

Comment

Working...
                                X