Do dogs mourn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
    I think they feel something but THIS I don't agree with.
    Too bad for you

Comment

Yes ! haven't you ever seen the movie" Where the Red Fern Grows!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
        We had to put down our 13 year old Yellow Lab Friday. It was a very sad day at our house. I think my 8 year old Black Lab finally figured it out Sunday. He was moping around, sad faced all day.

I'm not one to project human emotions on to animals, but do you think dogs or other intellegent (this excludes cats ) domesticated animals can mourn the loss of their buddies or family members?
        Yes. I believe they love (at least if not more) harder than we do sometimes. I've never known an cat or dog to love less than unconditionally.
        When my 6yr old Min Pin died suddenly this last March, my 10yr old cat (the dog's best buddy) moped for days. The cat wouldn't leave my side when I was home and sometimes cried while she walked through the house.

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
        Sorry to hear about your dog. I grew up watching "Where the Redfern Grows," so I have always thought that dogs had true feelings for one another and for humans.
        Where The Redfern Grows is one of my favorite books- we had to read it when I was in 4th grade and I've loved it ever since. Can't read it often though, because it breaks my heart everytime.

Comment

I know the morn, saw it with the cat after we pit Buddy down.

Comment

Yep I believe they do. Heck my dog is so "human like" now I'm starting to wonder if hes really a dog now.
            Very sorry for your loss. I know it's tough losing part of the family.

Comment

Yes they do. We lost our old lab in July of 2020 to a copperhead bite. My boxer greived for many months. I am just now ready to start looking for him a buddy. I would love a GSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbailey2 View Post
                Yes they do. We lost our old lab in July of 2020 to a copperhead bite. My boxer greived for many months. I am just now ready to start looking for him a buddy. I would love a GSP.

Nice 11 year old thread resurrection. You win.

I also believe they mourn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely...I had a pony as a kid that mopped around for months after we sold off his "running buddy"

dogs cant speak English but they can sure communicate.

Comment

Absolutely and they also show compassion.

Comment

I took a dog to be put down about 25 years ago. When I pulled out of the driveway my wifeand a friend both said one of my other 2 dogs later in the driveway and howled and cried for about 15 minutes. He knew what was happening somehow. She was sick for a few weeks before
                      Last edited by Passafist; 12-27-2021, 11:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                        Nice 11 year old thread resurrection. You win.

I also believe they mourn.

X2

Comment

How is it it is always the nubs that revive decade old threads? Animals absolutely mourn. That is why I quit killing deer. Hate to see their friends and next of kin mourn. :-)

Comment

Absolutely dogs and other animals morn the loss of their friends. Animals know things we don't. My lacy is still morning the loss of our Blue Heeler and still goes to look for her in her old sleeping spot. I've seen a stud horse morn the loss of his rooster buddy that he shared a stall with and lose close to 400 lbs of weight. Carried the dead rooster around in his mouth until it fell apart then he quit eating for days and days. He finally came around after he adopted a goat for a new friend. Birds do it. Elephants, cows, doe deer and many other unlikely animal friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbailey2 View Post

Dont mind the crotchety old heads around here. Welcome to the forum.

And yes they do feel without a doubt.

Comment

Red furn grow that’s your answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X