Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your second Total Knee Replacement - How quickly after the First?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your second Total Knee Replacement - How quickly after the First?

For those of you that had back to back TCR’s, how soon after the first one did you have the second one done?

My first was on October 21st and I go for my 3 week checkup tomorrow. Hope to get the second one scheduled while I’m there with a goal to have it done this year (out of pocket maximum will be met with the first).

Originally posted by Lip View Post
    For those of you that had back to back TCR’s, how soon after the first one did you have the second one done?

My first was on October 21st and I go for my 3 week checkup tomorrow. Hope to get the second one scheduled while I’m there with a goal to have it done this year (out of pocket maximum will be met with the first).
    I don’t think you will be able to squeeze it in but I could be wrong. My wife had 2 partial replacements this year 3mo apart and I think she could have done the 2nd at 2mo. I know the recovery for a full is twice as long. I definitely understand wanting to get them both in. We had 0 out of pocket on tye 2nd

Comment

I asked the doc while in the hospital and he said it’s doable., depending on how quickly I recover from the first. My physical therapist knows I’m going to have the second one done so she’s been working on that knee as well so recovery will be quicker. I know PT will go into next year but hopeful I can at least squeeze the surgery into this year.

Comment

I’m an outpatient physical therapist so I handle a ton of post-op cases.

So much depends on your range of motion prior to surgery… if you’re planning on getting that second one done make sure you’re working it beforehand. Total knees are tougher than total hips believe it or not. Most people aren’t feeling solid until about 6 weeks out from surgery. I’d guess 2 months would be the quickest you’d be able to get the second one done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
          I asked the doc while in the hospital and he said it’s doable., depending on how quickly I recover from the first. My physical therapist knows I’m going to have the second one done so she’s been working on that knee as well so recovery will be quicker. I know PT will go into next year but hopeful I can at least squeeze the surgery into this year.
          I definitely would not rush it!

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
            I’m an outpatient physical therapist so I handle a ton of post-op cases.

So much depends on your range of motion prior to surgery… if you’re planning on getting that second one done make sure you’re working it beforehand. Total knees are tougher than total hips believe it or not. Most people aren’t feeling solid until about 6 weeks out from surgery. I’d guess 2 months would be the quickest you’d be able to get the second one done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the feedback. ROM on the right which I just had done is 130 degrees. In the straight position, I’m currently at 6 degrees pushing to get it to 0. Left knee is next and my PT is definitely working it as much as the right. ROM is 135-140 and in the straight position it’s 0.
            Obviously I’m not “feeling solid” yet but I’m thinking around 6 weeks I’ll be there which aligns with your comment.

Docs surgeries are typically scheduled 3 weeks out so guessing his earliest opportunity (if I’m ready) is around 7 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
              I definitely would not rush it!

Good advice. If I’m not ready or doc doesn’t think I’m ready, i won’t.
              But, if I can get it knocked out this year, I’ll get it behind me and be able to focus on work moving forward without anticipating another disability period.

Comment

Did my second a year after the first.

Comment

Good luck and prayers up for a quick recovery.

Comment

My dad had his 60 days apart.

Comment

Min is scheduled for December 15th. 55 days apart.

Comment

Ed, I just spoke with a feller last week on this very subject. We were on a public hunt together. He had both done and was allowed to have his granddaughter with him as an assistant. He had his second one done 3 weeks ago. And did the first 8 weeks before that. Stick with the PT and work it like the PT trainer says to. And you should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X