Spartan GoCam or Browning Defender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seeing great reviews on both of these cell cams. I currently run a ton of the Browning Strikeforce trail cams and love them which is why I am leaning towards Browning, but I've heard that Spartan are the best. For those with experience with either or both, which do you recommend??

I also just saw that Spartan's latest model has live streaming... I wonder how much data that uses!? Anyone get one and test it yet?

I bought the Gocam live and man it’s sweet, and took 10 min to setup. Live function uses a good bit of data but not to bad, I got the 15 bucks a month plan so I shouldn’t come close to going over.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      I bought the Gocam live and man it’s sweet, and took 10 min to setup. Live function uses a good bit of data but not to bad, I got the 15 bucks a month plan so I shouldn’t come close to going over.
      Awesome. Did you sign up through Spartan or Verizon? On the Spartan website it says $15.99/mo for 500 MB. No issues getting close to that 500 MB limit?

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        Awesome. Did you sign up through Spartan or Verizon? On the Spartan website it says $15.99/mo for 500 MB. No issues getting close to that 500 MB limit?
        I run 5 Spartans. 4 Ghost and 1 GoLive. I love them. I activated them through my Verizon account rather than through Spartan. I add a line for each cam for $5/mo unlimited data. You do have to pay around $4/mo per cam for the Spartan portal if you don’t buy the plan through Spartan, but I’m still right at $10/mo for unlimited.

I don’t have any experience with the Browning cell cam, but you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Spartan. Highly recommend them.

Comment

What does the “live” version do, can you call up live video on demand?

Comment

I signed up on the Spartan Website and I went back and checked I did the 1gb data for 3 months at 35.00 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by helical View Post
              What does the “live” version do, can you call up live video on demand?
              Yes live feed

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                I run 5 Spartans. 4 Ghost and 1 GoLive. I love them. I activated them through my Verizon account rather than through Spartan. I add a line for each cam for $5/mo unlimited data. You do have to pay around $4/mo per cam for the Spartan portal if you don’t buy the plan through Spartan, but I’m still right at $10/mo for unlimited.

I don’t have any experience with the Browning cell cam, but you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Spartan. Highly recommend them.

This sounds like a great deal since we have a few Verizon phones already. So, you just buy the cameras and you can activate them on your own by logging into your verizon account and punching in the SIM card info? If so, I might be sold on these!

Last question, is the GoLive worth the extra $$?

Comment

The Live cam is pretty sweet. Live video & audio starts about 15-20 seconds after you click the “Live” button. It runs about 6-8 seconds behind actual for buffering purposes. At any time during the live stream you can click a button to take/save a picture to your phone gallery or you can click record to start recording the live stream. Click record again and the video auto saves to your phone gallery. Also because the camera is live you can click take photo now and it will take a real time photo without starting the Live stream. Any command or request you send to the camera will begin to execute within about a minute. Anyone who you “share” the camera with and give Admin privileges can also start the Live Stream, so share wisely. Lol

For folks who have used spartan cameras in the past and have used the photo + video feature where the camera takes a photo & then a video, and been frustrated with the lag between the picture and the video starting, the Live camera “fixes” that. In photo + video the video recording starts immediately and after it is saved to camera, the first frame of the video becomes the photo sent to your app. And just like with past cameras, if you like what you see and want the video, request it. With the live camera you should get the video within 2-5 minutes.

Another change with the Live cam is video length choices, 5-30 seconds with options in 5 second increments.

A significant change in photo only mode. If you put the camera in photo only and “0” delay, the camera will take and send pictures at the same time, up to 30 per minute with constant motion. Not something you’d want to use on a feeder probably but on a scrape/rub or trail it’s nice. You can still pull up live stream in photo only mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Roscoe; 02-11-2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                    The Live cam is pretty sweet. Live video & audio starts about 15-20 seconds after you click the “Live” button. It runs about 6-8 seconds behind actual for buffering purposes. At any time during the live stream you can click a button to take/save a picture to your phone gallery or you can click record to start recording the live stream. Click record again and the video auto saves to your phone gallery. Also because the camera is live you can click take photo now and it will take a real time photo without starting the Live stream. Any command or request you send to the camera will begin to execute within about a minute. Anyone who you “share” the camera with and give Admin privileges can also start the Live Stream, so share wisely. Lol

For folks who have used spartan cameras in the past and have used the photo + video feature where the camera takes a photo & then a video, and been frustrated with the lag between the picture and the video starting, the Live camera “fixes” that. In photo + video the video recording starts immediately and after it is saved to camera, the first frame of the video becomes the photo sent to your app. And just like with past cameras, if you like what you see and want the video, request it. With the live camera you should get the video within 2-5 minutes.

Another change with the Live cam is video length choices, 5-30 seconds with options in 5 second increments.

A significant change in photo only mode. If you put the camera in photo only and “0” delay, the camera will take and send pictures at the same time, up to 30 per minute with constant motion. Not something you’d want to use on a feeder probably but on a scrape/rub or trail it’s nice. You can still pull up live stream in photo only mode.

Great info sir! Sounds like they’re improving on a proven product. More points for the Spartan cams!

Comment

Great info sir! Sounds like they’re improving on a proven product. More points for the Spartan cams!
                      Yep, I’ve been on the development team since the beginning. Spartan is trying their best to stay on the forefront of the cellular camera market.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                        Yep, I’ve been on the development team since the beginning. Spartan is trying their best to stay on the forefront of the cellular camera market.

Oh wow. Good to know we have a resident expert on the green screen. I think I’ll start with one and play with it before getting another for my second spot. Thanks again for answering our questions.

Comment

Oh wow. Good to know we have a resident expert on the green screen. I think I’ll start with one and play with it before getting another for my second spot. Thanks again for answering our questions.
                          [emoji106]

Comment

I have several spartan gocams, older models. During the summer i get constant pictures of nothing. Other times I can drive up, fill feeder and leave and sometimes it doesn't even take a picture. It is consistent across all of them. I always said i would never buy another spartan.

App is fine, ease of setup and everything else is good. Customer service has been great for replacement of failed cams, except for providing a solution to summer picture problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                              I have several spartan gocams, older models. During the summer i get constant pictures of nothing. Other times I can drive up, fill feeder and leave and sometimes it doesn't even take a picture. It is consistent across all of them. I always said i would never buy another spartan.

App is fine, ease of setup and everything else is good. Customer service has been great for replacement of failed cams, except for providing a solution to summer picture problems.

Interesting. That’s good info. I wonder if they’ve improved since your “older models”. Sounds like they are on the cutting edge... might wait to see if the GoLive has any technical issues. Right now they’re showing to be on pre-order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X