1/2 ton Diesel vs. Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2 ton Diesel vs. Gas

I see several post about half ton diesels being purchased. With the price of diesel being higher than gasoline, what are the advantages. I`ve owned a 3/4 ton diesel truck for the last 18 years because I needed it to pull my camper, but I sold it 2 years ago and my next truck will be a half ton gasser. It just seems like the gasser would less expensive to purchase and operate.

24-30mpg

Comment

I ordered my wife a suburban a few weeks ago and the diesel was only $900 more but I didn’t do it because I don’t know how well they hold together and a 5.3 seems to run forever. Even if you had a 5.3 take a complete crap you can replace them cheap..

Comment

I hate DEF, so it would be a no for me.

Comment

Gas less maintenance cost and problems

Comment

Better gas mileage on the diesel, paired with higher maintenance cost.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
              24-30mpg
              If you can actually get 24-30 mpg, you still have to pay more for diesel(sometimes a lot more), you have the DEF thing, the purchase price is higher and maintenance/repair on a diesel engine is way more expensive. If you had to tow with a half ton, why wouldn`t you just get a 6.2 gasser. I even pulled a 24 ft. camper with a 5.3 to Colorado 20 years ago easily.

Comment

IMO the half ton diesels are a solution in search of a problem. They’re not torque monsters in the least bit, they’re considerably slower, but they get good fuel mileage. Factor in slightly increased maintenance and diesel prices and you’re barely breaking even with the increased fuel mileage. I’d rather have cheaper upfront costs and refill more often than worry about the headache of modern diesels.

Comment

Slightly increased maintenance? LOL! If you can get out of a diesel repair shop for less than $1000 you are dang lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by cj_sandman View Post
                    Better gas mileage on the diesel, paired with higher maintenance cost.
                    And DEF

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Slightly increased maintenance? LOL! If you can get out of a diesel repair shop for less than $1000 you are dang lucky!
                      Diesel less maint..But like MS said; But its High Dollar.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Maintenance and repairs are two different things. And yes slightly increased maintenance. I drive both every day. I spend about $60 more per 20,000 miles on maintenance. When something does break on a diesel then it’s considerably more, but I wasn’t talking repairs.

Comment

They don't make any sense to me. The new Eco boost are within 2-3 mpg of most of the half ton diesels, if not better than some. Less maintenance, more power, cheaper repair cost.

Right now its clear the best half tons are the eco boost f150 and Toyota tundra. If you want performance and fuel mileage, but don't plan to keep the truck much past 100k, the eco boost is the king. If you want something that will last forever and don't care about sucking fuel, tundra all day.

Comment

Any of the newer Big 3 will get 20 or more if you don't speed. Even my ancient tech tundra will get 17. The half ton diesels are more slow and steady, like what the bigger trucks were before everyone needed 1000 hp. Higher fuel cost, higher maintenance cost, more potential issues, all for a few more mpg. Not worth it IMO, but if you like it why not.

Comment

Im on my second transmission, and currently having issues again with the second Transmission and only have 177,000 miles on my 2014 Tundra. Ive owned several Tundras and I like them but Im not currently enjoying the “last forever” part that everyone posts about my wife drives a ecoboost F 150, I might just borrow it more often

Comment

Working...
                              X