Bow Package- DIY Piecemeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Package- DIY Piecemeal

I've only owned one compound bow in my life and it was customized for my specs by a pro shop. It shot great and I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking for a new setup and I'm wondering- if I buy a used bare bow, used sight, used rest, used stabilizer and order some arrows for my DL from a local shop, can I set it all up myself?

Is it as simple as sighting in the sight? Is the rest just a bolt-on part? Same with stabilizer- just screw it in and shoot?

And final question- do arrows follow the shooter or the bow? If I have arrows for my DL on a bow I use in 2021, assuming my DL doesn't change and I upgrade bows in 2022, can I just use the same arrows on the new bow?

Thanks fellas.

It depends on the bow, how new is it, does it have recent strings, is the timing correctly set, etc. If not, you really need a press with most bows. Do you shoot with a peep? If so, you need a press to install or to move it more than a small distance in the string. You can bolt on sights and rest, but to properly set up rests it helps to have a bow vise, a string level, a bow square. If you need to install a D-loop, or change nocking point a vise will help as well as serving and d-loop material. Stabilizers are no problem, just bolt-on.

Regarding arrows, assuming the next bow is the same draw length, within say +/-5 lbs draw weight, and similar IBO specs, yes the spine and length should be the same.
    Last edited by SharpEnd; 02-20-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

SharpEnd that helps- thanks!

Comment

Seems like I could piecemeal the parts and then take it to a local pro shop & pay them to string it/set it up for me? Maybe $100-150 for that service?

Comment

Yep, that's about right for a full setup and tune, without cost of strings/cables, which can run $60-130 for the cost of the string/cables depending on the bow and what is needed. Just installing peep, the rest, and leveling sights shouldn't cost that much. If you don't have the tools, the full tune at a shop is worth the cost.

Comment

That helps- thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X