No announcement yet.

Need advice on changing my lease to MLDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. I was afraid one of my hunters would get in trouble if the GW stopped them before they got to camp with an untagged deer.

Found where they cover it:

All deer harvested under the authority of MLDP must be immediately tagged with a MLDP tag by the person who killed the deer, unless the person who killed the deer immediately takes the carcass by the most direct route to a tagging station (location where tags are maintained on the enrolled property) where an appropriate MLDP tag shall be attached immediately.
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-19-2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
      We have operated 3 properties under MLD over the last 20yrs. IMO the conservation option is the way to even though it does require a little work on your part. The problem that you occasionally run into in East Texas is the number of tags you receive often limit the number of deer per hunter to less than the county regs.

I can attest that we went from being suprised to see a deer to being suprised when we did not see a deer anytime we were on the property. With the amount of acreage you are talking about a management program should be extremely effective.

The season runs from the day bow season opens until the end of Feb. That being said it has always been our practice not to take does/anterless after the second weekend in January to avoid the possibility of taking a buck that dropped horns early.

Every year after about the 2nd yr on the program we had multiple mature 130"+ deer on camera. When we lost the lease last year (individual purchased from timber company and did not want to lease it out) We had 7 bucks over 130" two of which broke 150".

All in all, I think its well worth it as long as the lease members are willing to follow the guidelines and only harvest mature deer.
      Why could you not have achieved the same results on your own without going MLD3 and adding more work? Only harvest mature bucks and your buck numbers go up and size increases. Limit quantity of does shot and your population will increase.

If your heart desires, perform a few night counts every year and keep track how quantity changes.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Ok. I was afraid one of my hunters would get in trouble if the GW stopped them before they got to camp with an untagged deer.

All deer harvested under the authority of MLDP must be immediately tagged with a MLDP tag by the person who killed the deer, unless the person who killed the deer immediately takes the carcass by the most direct route to a tagging station (location where tags are maintained on the enrolled property) where an appropriate MLDP tag shall be attached immediately.
        I believe you can pre sign them and hand out.

Comment

Say you fill all 10 of the mld issued doe tags. Can you still use your personal tags to take a doe? Or are your strictly limited to only taking deer off the property equal to the number of issues mld tags?

Comment

“Once MLDP tags have been issued for a property, all deer harvested on the property must be tagged with the appropriate MLDP tag. Hunting license tags may not be used for deer harvested under the authority of a MLDP tag and may not be substituted in lieu of a MLDP tag”

Comment

I used the Harvest option tag estimator on the website.

It's saying I will have 7 buck tags and 15 antlerless tags for my place.

The 7 bucks would be a hard sell to my members. The doe tags shouldn't be an issue. I guess I could do doe only this first year, and start filling out Harvest logs this season.

Comment

I used the Harvest option tag estimator on the website.

It's saying I will have 7 buck tags and 15 antlerless tags for my place.

The 7 bucks would be a hard sell to my members. The doe tags shouldn't be an issue. I guess I could do doe only this first year, and start filling out Harvest logs this season.
                I would go with it. That's a good allotment.

Comment

So do hunters shoot the deer and then come to camp or a designated location where the permits are kept? Do you pass out some to hunters to use? How does it literally work as far as a hunter shooting the deer and me needing to give him the permit? I assume a hunter can't bring the deer to camp without the permit on it. Same as a regular tag right?
                  We have a location where all the tags are kept, 1st come 1st serve. Retrieve the tag from the designated location, track the deer and tag it. It isn't necessary that you keep them on your person, just make sure you sign them.

Comment

Originally posted by silentstalker92 View Post
                    Say you fill all 10 of the mld issued doe tags. Can you still use your personal tags to take a doe? Or are your strictly limited to only taking deer off the property equal to the number of issues mld tags?
                    You can only use the tags issued for that property. If the property you are hunting is under mldp then those tags are used and only those tags. If they issue 8 doe tags and 8 get killed then thats it for that season. You could use your license tags on another property thats not under mldp.

Comment

This is what we do. We have a cabinet with everything to fill out tags. We have a wire fish basket hanging for the jaw bones. If you ever want to come by and look let me know.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        We have 1500 acres in Newton County and use Option #2. The good? All of it! Biologist comes on your property, evaluates carrying capacity of the property, calculates the deer population, spot light surveys(3), fill out wildlife observation reports(ea member) for the season. Deer season is LOOONNNGGG, bag limit is expanded based up on the population of deer, not bound by the 13" rule, required to "improve" the habitat, and I could go on.
                        Our biologist would rather we bush hog rather than plant plots, we do both.
                        Extra tags for us was 11 does 6 bucks this year...I think.

The bad? If you don't fill all the MLDP tags you could be penalized by less tags the next season.

Hope this helps, if you would rather talk, pm me.

^^^^^ was looking on getting on MLD as well, dont have enough acreage to do so, the only one i would have been able to do would have been the harvest option which, after speaking with TPWD, the allotted tags from the "tag generator" on the page would only allow 1 buck and 3 doe on the property and i would have to forfeit my personal tags.I decided not to go that route.

Comment

Following

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I may just go for the Harvest Option for buck and doe. Those numbers will probably work. I don't think we need to kill that many does however. I'm thinking I can make rules that will not allow rifles during bow season. I want to protect bowhunters. Also maybe not allow unbranched antler bucks until after Thanksgiving. This should give everyone an opportunity at a trophy deer, and allow a hunter to pass on a doe during the rut if he chooses. What do y'all think?
                            Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-20-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Your lease your rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                Your lease your rules.

Do y'all do something like that? I don't want gun hunters shooting up the place in October.

Comment

Working...
                                X