Bless foster parents/those who adopt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Police Officer. I often spent my time dealing with the lowest of society which tends to make one lose faith in mankind to a degree. To add to it, all we hear about is the negative aspects of society, race issues, we're all doomed, etc....

I was working an OT job today at a local church. As I walked down a hallway, I met a family who was comprised of two white parents, probably mid thirties, and three of their children. The kids were black and mixed race. The oldest was 12 and appeared to have some sort of handicap. The oldest was I believe autistic to some level. As soon as they saw me, the kids instantly wanted to chat. I was blown away by these people. The 12 year old boy was awesome. We talked about his favorite video games, what he liked to do, etc... He was apparently high functioning as he was a very talkative, intelligent young boy. His sister was probably 10. She was a beautiful child, very soft spoken, clinging to her mother as she told me she loves to read and write stories. She was the type of child that melts your heart. The youngest child was probably 6 and was reserved but did engage when I tried to talk to him. After chatting, the mom told the kids to follow dad to wherever they were going. I got a chance to talk to mom for a few minutes. She told me that she and her husband had adopted 5 children through the foster system. I mentioned how busy I imagined their household to be. She confirmed my suspicion! Mom mentioned that they would like to adopt some teenagers when the younger kids are grown and leave the home. She then mentioned the oldest child's(12yr olds) disability and made the comment that he would probably be with them for life.

After chatting with these people, I literally wanted to cry. I didn't tell the mom how much I admired people like them, even though I should have. This brief encounter really slapped me in the face and made me realize how kind and loving human beings can be. These people took 5 children that no one wanted and have become their mom and dad, obviously providing them with an abundant amount of love and the family unit that all children desire. In my opinion, people like this are truly saints. People like this are rare in today's world. I find myself far too often focused on material things, how much money I can make, what's in it for me.... I lose sight of what life is about sometimes, truly making a difference in a child's life, giving them the gift of a loving family, structure, unconditional love.

I know this is a sappy post, but I just thought I would share. To anyone here who adopts or fosters children, you are truly inspirational and deserve a special place in heaven for your kind deeds. The world needs more people like you and we should all strive to make a difference in someone's life every day.
    Last edited by rockyraider; 02-18-2019, 12:14 AM.

bless you and that family and the people like yall.

Comment

Yes the parents that take on this responsibility are angels on earth imo. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Theanks for your contributions to this ol world.

Comment

I heard a statistic a while back that said if just one family from every church in the USA adopted just one child, there would be no more kids in the foster system...

Foster/adopt is not necessarily easy, but if we don’t love them, who will?

Comment

Good read, it really makes one take pause and think about what is important in life.

Comment

I’m admittedly too selfish to even think about doing something like that. God bless those that aren’t.

Comment

Man,thanks for posting..Well written btw..
              A good friend of mine,and her husband started fostering kid's when their own kid's grew up,and moved out..She's a mother hen,no doubt..
              She turned me on to some of the needs that teenage foster boys needed awhile back..There are so many agencies out there that have the necessities,but lack thing's that make them happy,and surprised(if that makes sense)
              I can barely take care of myself,so I choose to donate to the cause..A couple of awesome TBH'rs have also.
              Fostering,and adoption is a godsend.
              Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

God bless them

Comment

Thank you for sharing that. What a nice thing to read to begin the day.

Comment

Comment

Nothing sappy about that at all. Again, real life that actually matters! For those wanting to participate but not available like this incredible couple there are groups that help these families and children. Our SCI chapter supports fishing for a orphanage and just got a request for a inner city youth group. Opportunities to pitch in are definitely available. Thanks for posting about your encounter!

Comment

Good post. Thank you for noticing Rockyraider. I'd like to add to it or at least a response from the other side.

My wife and I fostered for about 4 years. 13 different kids came through our home in that time. In Nov. 18' we adopted three boys, one with special needs. We're now at max capacity (6) and in Texas you can no longer foster/adopt from CPS when you have 6 kids so our home is closed.

It is hard. I'm selfish and it is a constant battle for me to reconcile the demands on my time and still find time for myself. Same for my wife. Our kids are 10,7,5,2.5,2,1. We look like the circus walking through church or, anywhere for that matter.

While I don't disagree, anyone who fosters or adopts is making a huge sacrifice, we're also benefit greatly. My bio kids, even at a young age know sacrifice. They've developed a more giving and caring heart, I believe. As a parents and adults, my wife and I have learned more about sacrifice, we've drawn closer to God, we've learned more about parenting (I won't say to be better parents because we fail daily).

Personally, this journey has created a change of heart and outlook towards many. I'm more compassionate and patient. More giving of myself.

While not everyone is mean to be a foster or adoptive family, everyone can do something. Whether that is supporting families in your church/community or, donating to organizations which work in this field. Two great organizations are Embrace Ministries and BTC Youth Services

For those of you questioning, interested, on the fence, etc. I'll leave you with this.

"Your no will be harder on them, than your yes will ever be on you"
                        Last edited by chongo; 02-18-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

My wife and I fostered our 2 children for 3 years before we had the opportunity to adopt them. God has a plan for each and every person, and this was his for us. I cannot imagine how I could love them any more if they were genetically mine. The foster system has flaws, but it can lead to amazing things.

Comment

Good people!

Comment

My 71 yr old sister adopted her deceased husbands great great grand kids 8 and 10 years old because the meth head mother and meth head grandmother dropped them off at Christmas a few years ago and never came back to get them.

Comment

Working...
                              X