AR Build Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Build Concerns

Anyone ever a little worried to shoot an ar after a build? I converted my 556 ar to a 6.5 Grendel. Just a wee bit hesitant... whats the worst that can happen?

Catastrophic failure and plastic surgery! I felt that way with the first upper I built. Did you replace with a complete upper or did you change out just the barrel ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      Catastrophic failure and plastic surgery! I felt that way with the first upper I built. Did you replace with a complete upper or did you change out just the barrel ?
      changed bolt carrier, barrell. those are the two main things. then I did a lot of little things here and there, pivot pins, charging handle, forward assist, ect. but the main thing I did I'm concerned about his changing out barrel, gas block & line, and bolt carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
        changed bolt carrier, barrell. those are the two main things. then I did a lot of little things here and there, pivot pins, charging handle, forward assist, ect. but the main thing I did I'm concerned about his changing out barrel, gas block & line, and bolt carrier.
        I am by no means a gunsmith nor am I going to pay out if it blows up on you but you can't really alter the head space on an AR-15 without a chamber reamer or putting some kind of washer between the barrel and upper receiver. That [Excessive Headspace] would be my only concern. If the chamber is too tight it will not go into battery. I think you are good.

Heck with all the parts kit guns that have been thrown together in the last few years a lot of kitchen table gunsmiths would be missing fingers and eyes if it was easy to mess it up. Google blown up AR-15 if you want to scare your self.

Comment

If you are scared just hold it as far away from you as possible
          Or hide behind a tree or side of a building

Comment

Or rig up some type of vise and pull the string.

Comment

Duct tape it to a bench and tie a string to the trigger. While someone hold's your beer, pull the string. Please video and share.

Comment

I was the same way when I built my AR I literally held it away from my face and pulled the trigger once I knew it was safe game on.

Comment

Nope. I just machined off 426g from my bull barrel to lighten up our grendel.
                  We had no need for a huge diameter barrel.

Took 2 bucks last Sat morning 30 minutes apart from same stand.
                  #1 @ 97.5 yards
                  #2 @ 106.2 yards

Comment

Just send it to me to test. If it blows up I'll just keep it and won't sue you.

Comment

[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                          Nope. I just machined off 426g from my bull barrel to lighten up our grendel.
                          We had no need for a huge diameter barrel.

Took 2 bucks last Sat morning 30 minutes apart from same stand.
                          #1 @ 97.5 yards
                          #2 @ 106.2 yards
                          The second deer shot was 7.9 meters or 312.9 inches further. What was the difference in bullet drop between the second and first shot?

Comment

check head space with go no/go gauges.

Comment

I felt the same way after I built my 1st AR. My mom lives in the country so I went to her place to test fire it and sight it in. Told to have 911 on speed dial.

Comment

Working...
                              X