Registering a homemade utility trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has done this? What forms and info do I need to take to tax office? Already been there twice and they’re not very helpful. I know....shocking. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It needs to be weighed and inspected by a licensed outfit/inspection place. Then, take paperwork to DMV to have trailer titled.

Comment

I never had to have my homemade trailer inspected or weighed, but it is only 10ft single axle. Don’t even remember having to show insurance. Maybe it was grandfathered in years ago. All I take is registration notice or past registration notice and my driver license. Maybe if your registering it for the first time you are required to have weight/inspection. Good luck

Comment

Yes, not like it use to be, just did one the other day, just like Texas 1863 said.

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

Originally posted by Texas 1863 View Post
          It needs to be weighed and inspected by a licensed outfit/inspection place. Then, take paperwork to DMV to have trailer titled.

I wasn’t planning to have it titled. Just registered. It’s under 4000 lbs. Jon boat trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
            I never had to have my homemade trailer inspected or weighed, but it is only 10ft single axle. Don’t even remember having to show insurance. Maybe it was grandfathered in years ago. All I take is registration notice or past registration notice and my driver license. Maybe if your registering it for the first time you are required to have weight/inspection. Good luck

Yes. Registering for first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas 1863 View Post

Where is this inspection place and how am I supposed to drive it there without plates? [emoji848]

Comment

If it’s truly homemade you won’t have a problem. In Montgomery county they will seize it if they think it isn’t homemade and you can’t prove ownership.

Comment

I forgot to add, there is no VIN.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                    Where is this inspection place and how am I supposed to drive it there without plates? [emoji848]

Auto theft division of the sheriffs dept. handles the initial “inspection” here. You have to go to the tax office and get a temporary plate to be able to pull it to auto theft for the inspection. Otherwise they will write you a ticket for that. It’s a total pita now days.

If truly homemade they want pictures and receipts of the build process.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                      If it’s truly homemade you won’t have a problem. In Montgomery county they will seize it if they think it isn’t homemade and you can’t prove ownership.

This is what worries me. No VIN. No serial number. No license plate. No way to prove anything.

Comment

I too just bought a jon boat and found out there's no title for the trailer. I'm about to go through the same thing. The guy I bought it from said he just took the bill of sale to the court house and they sold him plates. Mine has plates on so I'll let you know if I find out something. Good luck and Godspeed.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                            I too just bought a jon boat and found out there's no title for the trailer. I'm about to go through the same thing. The guy I bought it from said he just took the bill of sale to the court house and they sold him plates. Mine has plates on so I'll let you know if I find out something. Good luck and Godspeed.

Yes I was told same but seller didn’t have plates or old registration so they wouldn’t do anything for me. It had been years since it was last registered. They told me they could not just look up by name. Only by plates or VIN. I’m in Brazos County.

Comment

I'm sure this won't be easy. I'm in Harris County, it's difficult if you have everything in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X