Lee/Burleson County stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee/Burleson County stud

It’s taken me a while to tell this story because I was having trouble getting the video finished.
    October 11th brought a new cold front with 15+ MPH winds and gust in the high 20’s. I started out the morning in a hang on tree stand high up in the air but it became apparent that I wasn’t going to be able to get a good shot while swaying back and forth. Shortly after first light I decided to spot and stalk. I hadn’t gone more than 1/4 mile when I intercepted a sounder of pigs and shot one of them. I headed down to the Yegua to a place I call the “Honey Hole”. It’s about 25 acres of dense woods with several little pockets of opening that surrounds a spot where the creek splits and comes back together. I know the big boys live there but I don’t have any stands in it because the wind swirls so bad that you can’t keep from getting busted. Believe me I’ve tried. Every year while spot and stalking pigs in the preseason I see the big boys in the Honey Hole. My neighbors have feeders in the clearings just north of me and they hit them at night. But today the conditions were right. I texted my son and told him to move to one of the stands we have along the fringe. The plan was for me to spot and stalk and possibly push something his way.

After he got in position I headed in with the wind in my face. About 250 yards in I spotted a buck in a pocket between the two creeks. He was a nice 8 point. I could see the tops of a few deer past him in the tall weeds. I recognized one as the Double Split G2 Buck. He’s been a main frame 8 for the past two years. This year he was a main frame 10. Two years ago I stalked up on him in the exact same spot on a windy November morning. He was nice but I only had him as a 4 yr old. I ended up having several more opportunities at him but he made the season. Last year he was a stud and I had him in bow range on 3 occasions. However there was another buck that I had seen several times so I let him walk. Now here he was at 80 yards slowly feeding my way.

I quickly cut the distance to 40 yards. The 8 point had moved to the creek on my right and I guessed the others had gone that way as well because I couldn’t See anything else. I made it to a huge white oak tree that has Yaupon bushes all the way around it with hog trails leading in and out. He was straight up wind and feeding at a snails pace in chest high weeds and grass. If he went to my right he would have to be within 15 yards for me to get a shot. If he went to my left he would pass through several small openings that might give me a shot all the way out to 40 yards. Luckily he went left. For 30 minutes I watched and waited. Trying to formulate my plan. If he went left I would have to crawl into one of the hog trails and force my bow out in order to draw. As soon as I was sure that’s the way he was heading I did just that. As he stepped into the first opening I drew. As soon as I hit my back wall my arm hit a large limb and I lost my draw. Even with the high winds he knew something was up. He threw his head up and looked my way. I held at 2/3 draw for what seemed like forever but was probably only about 10 seconds. Thankfully he took a few steps and started into the next opening. I let my draw down and waited. This time I pulled back with everything I had and got to full draw. He stepped into the hole, slightly quartered to and looked right at me. I had tried to range several spots during my 30 minute wait but it was difficult to get an accurate distance with all the weeds and trees. I guessed him for 25 and as soon as he stopped I let it loose. The arrow found its mark without hitting anything in between.

He bolted and ran to my left. Stopping only briefly before bolting again and running straight behind me into a thicket. Worried that my wind would cause him to keep moving I decided to high tail it to the opening on the Lee County side. I Quickly ran to the spot where he was standing and saw blood at the impact site. I searched for my arrow but couldn’t find it. Who cares. I’ve got good blood. Get out of here and give him time.

I called my son and had him come pick me up. I can’t even describe how worked up I was. I stuttered. I spaced out. I babbled. I prayed. It was awesome. We decided to go back to the house and get the dog. If nothing else just to waste time. Two hours later I had him in my hands. As it turns out he fell about 10 yards past where I last filmed him running behind me. The Muzzy had taken out his heart.
    When I put a tape to him I was pleasantly surprised. 154 7/8”. I had guessed him at 135. Dreams do come true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great buck, great story, congrats to you.

Comment

What a buck! Great write up and congrats!

Comment

Very nice buck. Congrats!!!

Comment

Great story and great deer!

Comment

Wow, what a stud.

Congrats.

Rwc

Comment

Heck of a stalk on a stud...congratulations

Comment

WOW great recap, even better buck!

Comment

People do win! Nice buck

Comment

Great buck and writeup, big congrats on a fine buck.

Hogboy

Comment

Daniel that's a beast for Lee County. Congrats on a great spot and stock bow kill.

Comment

Great story and great buck. Congratulations!

Comment

Freak'n Giant!

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Nice Buck....Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X