Not every good hunt needs to end with a kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not every good hunt needs to end with a kill

It's been a couple weeks since I've been able to get out here on my East Texas lease and hunt. I was glad to be amongst the pines this morning. The weather was perfect. I could see what looked like a doe at my feeder as soon as daylight started breaking. She was the deer I was out there for. As soon as my feeder went off a young 10 pointer showed up and chased the doe away. There wasn't quite enough shooting light for me to get her before she left. I watched this young 10 for probably 20 minutes. After that a little buck fawn showed up. The 10 was not a fan. I watched him chase that fawn off every time he tried to get a bite of corn. I held out hope that fawns momma would show back up, but she never did. The 10 pointer saw me trying to get my phone out to take his picture and he left. I figured that was the end of my hunt. As soon as the 10 went into the woods a 6 pointer and the buck fawn came back out. They fed for at least 30 minutes then a nice young basket 8 showed up. Over all I had deer in front of me from before daylight until the last one left at 9:00am. Being close enough to the deer to hear them chew the corn is one of the things I love about bow hunting. Four bucks and a doe were within 15 yards of me and never knew I was there. In my book that's an exciting hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the best hunts I can remember having didn't end in a kill.

Comment

Sounds like a solid hunt to me. Like you said, just sitting in the tripod and watching deer at 10-20 yards and they have no idea you are there is what it is all about. Sure as he!! beats sitting in the office.

Comment

That's alot of action for East Texas.

Comment

I think I love the thrill of the hunt more than the kill. Don't get me wrong, I love the kill part. However, once you shoot that deer you have been after all year, it leaves you with an empty feeling of, "ok, now that is over, what's next".

Comment

yep...well said...it's all of that...not necessarily the killing...heck, i'm truly not a fan of the "killing/dying" part of what we do as bow hunters. But it's a means to an end to put good meat on the table....and all that other stuff we get to see/hear is fantastic!!!

Comment

Yep, I have many, many hours of video from my "successful" hunts that no shots were fired that I can relive again and again... I ain't near mad at 'em as I once was... I think age and experience teaches us that... Makes the whole experience a lot more enjoyable I think...

Comment

Nice view, used to hunt east Texas and man it was a beautiful place. Question is, did you use an Ozonics? Lol

Comment

Deer hunting in East Texas has really changed since I grew up there hunting. Back then you had a fabulous hunt if you saw deer tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                    Deer hunting in East Texas has really changed since I grew up there hunting. Back then you had a fabulous hunt if you saw deer tracks.
                    haha been there.

the first thing i remember from my first morning in a bow stand in 2012 was hearing the deer chomping on the corn before it was even light. i was hooked to bowhunting from that moment.

Comment

Just as those who measure the success of a fishing trip by how many fish are in their cooler some do the same with hunting.

You an others get it. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post

Yessir I remember those days. If someone saw a deer track we would load up the deer dogs and head out

I'm glad to see some of y'all can still appreciate just being in the woods with nature. Seems like only the monster bucks get the attention nowadays

Comment

Like I said on another thread.

Hunting and fishing trips arent measured in inches but in the memories made on them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

After hunting for 60 years, I have come to realize that most great hunts don't end with a kill as it is who you are hunting with and where you are hunting.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X