Water Heater Issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Heater Issue ?

In-Laws woke up over the weekend to no hot water. I went over and looked at it. Pilot was out. I got the pilot working, but the burner will not fire up. It is as if the "brain" is not sending/releasing gas to the main burner or something like that.

This unit has a thermopile, not a thermocouple. Not sure if that would be the fix or not.

Thoughts on what it couple be?

TIA

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
    In-Laws woke up over the weekend to no hot water. I went over and looked at it. Pilot was out. I got the pilot working, but the burner will not fire up. It is as if the "brain" is not sending/releasing gas to the main burner or something like that.

This unit has a thermopile, not a thermocouple. Not sure if that would be the fix or not.

Thoughts on what it couple be?

TIA
    I'd go with the thermopile

Comment

Is it a honeywell gas control valve? You can try resetting it before replacing the valve. Light the pilot and turn the control knob all the way up highest setting count to ten turn it to hot could to ten then turn to pilot count to ten and then turn it to desired temp. Sometimes you gotta do it a couple times.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

If soot or ash etc. build up is on a thermocouple it can be cleaned with a small wire brush and usually work for a while. Not sure what a thermopile is but must be similar. So if that can be cleaned might be worth a try for a temporary fix.

Comment

without actually being there to check it myself, the thermopile generator sends 750mv to the valve to operate the valve. If it isn't sending the voltage then that very well could be your problem. It is cheap and easy to replace so start there. If it doesn't fix your issue, you really haven't lost anything, but it's a start. The thermopile is only $25-$30. However, I would also take into consideration the age of the water heater before putting too much into it if it turns out that the thermopile isn't the issue. You can check the mv signal with a multimeter if you have one that reads millivolts. Just put a flame on the tip of the generator and read the output. If you have 750mv +- 5% then the problem is probably in the gas valve. Now I would think about complete replacement.

Comment

One of the things that used to shut us down was our water heater was in the wash room with the washer/dryer, and from time to time, dust would collect under the heater and that would mess up the sensors... I had an attachment and brush on our vacuum cleaner and I'd clean under the heater, and then reset the unit and it would work just fine... If I'd clean under it about once every 6 months or so, it wouldn't happen...
            Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 10-15-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

If the water heater is more than about 12 years old you might as well replace the entire thing. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Working...
              X