Anyone know much about old chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know much about old chains

Found this chain growing into a China Berry tree, looks like it was part of a single tree for a workhorse or mule. Does any one I have an idea how old those style of links would be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	chain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	25211357

Click image for larger version

Name:	chain1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	25211358

Kinda looks like a trap line to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      Found this chain growing into a China Berry tree, looks like it was part of a single tree for a workhorse or mule. Does any one I have an idea how old those style of links would be?

[ATTACH]1004291[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1004292[/ATTACH]

Comment

Tug line for a work harness. Might be near 100 years old give or take. Not many horses and mules used for harness work since the 1930's unless you are Amish.

Comment

Looks like the average length of chain you see pit bulls tied to in suburban back yards.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            Tug line for a work harness. Might be near 100 years old give or take. Not many horses and mules used for harness work since the 1930's unless you are Amish.
            That is what I figured it was, thought someone might have an idea how old.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Looks like the average length of chain you see pit bulls tied to in suburban back yards.
              Lol and no water bowl either

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                Kinda looks like a trap line to me

That chain has 3 inch links on it and they are 1/4 thick.

Comment

Considering China Berry trees don't live very long, I'd bet that chain is not as old as you think. Most only live about 40-50 years. They say they will live up to 150 years but I think you would be hard pressed to find one that old.

Comment

Looks like a trace chain for a harness. They were used to connect the harness hame to the singletree.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      Considering China Berry trees don't live very long, I'd bet that chain is not as old as you think. Most only live about 40-50 years. They say they will live up to 150 years but I think you would be hard pressed to find one that old.
                      I guess the chain was laying there and the tree grew next to it. There is an old creek crossing about 50 yards from where I found this. Also found pieces of old ceramic dinner plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        That's a good point. But it's also possible the chain was already there and the tree grew up through it or around it. I once saw a tree that grew right through a whole roll of chain link fencing material that my neighbor left laying on the ground.

Comment

Is that for the ball and chain for you and SKs wedding next weekend at the crappie fest? Skloss said he got rainbow colored streamers on sale for $1 a roll! He’s excited to officiate! Gonna be the best gay wedding he’s ever done! Well the first too, but that still makes it the best!! Is this a Friday night affair or Sat? Need to plan my fish fry accordingly!

Comment

What county are you in or found the chain in?

Comment

i second trace chain from a harmess. Used to connect harness to a plow/wagon/etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X