Has anyone heard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone heard?

Since we are nearing mid May, I was wondering if anyone has heard how Hagerman in conjunction with TPWD is running the draw and/or applications this year.

Normally the application period was in May, early enough for everyone who thinks they might get drawn, to shoot their qualifier. There also used to be an annual thread about this time to remind folks to get their spots applied for. This year has been crickets.

I know there are a lot of folks carrying a lot of points into this year.

Anyone?

I am also wondering. My friend and I were just talking about this.

Comment

So no one knows?

Comment

towards the bottom of the page....

Comment

Nothing about crossbows in that release.

Comment

Ok thanks. So it stands to reason to get your qualifier out of the way before you even apply. No mention of point accumulation on that either. Hmmm....

Comment

The Bass Pro Shop archery range in Dallas conducts proficiency tests with relatively short notice where you can show up on certain days at any time to do the test. So you don't really need to do the proficiency test before you apply.

Comment

Why do you have to have bowhunters safety and pass a proficiency test?

That seem's burdensome, definitely not going to bring new hunters to the sport that way.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

That seem's burdensome, definitely not going to bring new hunters to the sport that way.

Usually around 800 people applying for 200 spots. Used to take 3 years to draw. Now with TPWD running the draw it will be 4,000 people for 200 spots. We don't need any new hunters applying for this draw.

Comment

You don't need bowhunters safety, you need bowhunter education. You need a proficiency test to prove you are proficient. It's also a good way to reduce or eliminate antis from taking the hunting spots.

And lastly, most of us have developed a "love" for Hagerman, like the program as it was, and don't want to see anything change. Unless you have hunted it, difficult to describe. See the two deer Kurt has hanging, H deer. 4 years or more of applying, 3 hard days of hunting. Mine isn't quite as large, only took me 4 hunts from 2010 until 2018.
                    Attached Files

Comment

if the HAG drawing is like the other NWR hunts the deadline is Sept 1 and drawing Sept 15, sure doesn't leave much time to get your test and scout

Comment

If that's considered burdensome, they may not want to take up hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                          You don't need bowhunters safety, you need bowhunter education. You need a proficiency test to prove you are proficient. It's also a good way to reduce or eliminate antis from taking the hunting spots.

And lastly, most of us have developed a "love" for Hagerman, like the program as it was, and don't want to see anything change. Unless you have hunted it, difficult to describe. See the two deer Kurt has hanging, H deer. 4 years or more of applying, 3 hard days of hunting. Mine isn't quite as large, only took me 4 hunts from 2010 until 2018.
                          This. And there plenty of antis that run around there every day. At least the proficiency test keeps away guys that literally buy a bow when they draw the hunt and end up wounding a deer for the bird watchers to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                            Usually around 800 people applying for 200 spots. Used to take 3 years to draw. Now with TPWD running the draw it will be 4,000 people for 200 spots. We don't need any new hunters applying for this draw.
                            So do they draw names for each Segment and you get what you get as far as Segment/Time frame of your hunt? 200 hunters divided by 3 segments? If you don't draw you get a point for next season's draw to up odds?

Comment

I assuming my bowhunting education card from last year is still valid?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X