Questions about Section 8 Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom will be 70 this year, and is retiring from her job at Children's Hospital in New Orleans this month. She's moving back to NE Louisiana. She has an appartment lined up (Not Section 8) to move in, but does anyone have experience with Section 8 housing (qualifications, is it worth it, maximum income allowed to qualify, etc)? I'd like to try and suppliment ~$400-500/mo for her. She's talking about getting a part-time job, but she's tired, worked as a single parent, needs (wants) to retire, and finding a job at 70 won't be easy.
    Thanks in advance,
    Roby

I don’t think I’d let my mom be around the type of folks that usually live in areas like that. Maybe I’m wrong about the quality of folks there but from what I’ve seen it’s a bunch of trash. Wouldn’t sleep at night knowing the lady that raised me was around that

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      I don’t think I’d let my mom be around the type of folks that usually live in areas like that. Maybe I’m wrong about the quality of folks there but from what I’ve seen it’s a bunch of trash. Wouldn’t sleep at night knowing the lady that raised me was around that
      That's been my experience. 400-500 a month in the right area ought to be plenty or close for a place to stay.

Comment

I know a decent apartment in our area is around 1k to 1,200k a month. There are several of those apartments that are section 8 that allow for those on housing and those paying the regular rental price to live there. Not all section 8 is bad, but there are apartments out there that just don't accept it, but it will be more per month. That is a tough decision. If it were me, I would be looking for an apartment that accepts housing but it is a community for the elderly. There is one of those in the city I work in and it is a really decent place to live.

Comment

Try to find one of the 55 or older places, often affordable and quiet.

Comment

No offense. Section 8 can attract folks from all walks of life. Most are decent folks trying to make it. It’s the ones that aren’t so decent that concern me. I would not want my 70 year old father let alone my mom living there, even if both were gonna live there. If she can’t live with y’all try to find her an affordable assisted living arrangement depending on her physical condition
            Last edited by Hogmauler; 05-04-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
              My mom will be 70 this year, and is retiring from her job at Children's Hospital in New Orleans this month. She's moving back to NE Louisiana. She has an appartment lined up (Not Section 8) to move in, but does anyone have experience with Section 8 housing (qualifications, is it worth it, maximum income allowed to qualify, etc)? I'd like to try and suppliment ~$400-500/mo for her. She's talking about getting a part-time job, but she's tired, worked as a single parent, needs (wants) to retire, and finding a job at 70 won't be easy.
              Thanks in advance,
              Roby
              I'm originally from Monroe/WM area. Not sure where in NE LA are talking, but I wouldn't let any family member live in section 8 around those parts. Not sure about other areas of the state.

Comment

I used to run security for a city housing authority. It has been maybe 8 years and I realize that things change.

A person or family can apply for a voucher. If approved the person/family can move into an apartment or even single family home. Section 8 isn’t just projects. Some houses are in nice areas. Some people allow their rental properties as S8 because they don’t have to routinely collect rent. The federal government sends them a monthly check. It takes a burden off the property owner from the monthly issue of needing the rent money

A S8 home can be in the middle of a quiet neighborhood with all privately owned homes.

The problem is getting approved for a voucher and finding a decent home. If approved you aren’t forced into a home and the vouchers can be used anywhere. This was not always the same rule for apartment complexes. We had people apply for vouchers in southeast Texas and people could use them to move to another state.

If you can get approval and if you can find a decent neighborhood, it is probably worth it. Nothing has to be accepted if you can’t find what you a are looking for.

Comment

Can’t talk her into the League City Kemah area?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
                    I'm originally from Monroe/WM area. Not sure where in NE LA are talking, but I wouldn't let any family member live in section 8 around those parts. Not sure about other areas of the state.
                    Yes sir, that's where we're from, where she wants to go back, and that's why the concern and questions.

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Our section 8s in my district in ft worth don't cause as many problems as we expected

Comment

Thanks in advance,
                        Roby

Monroe/West Monroe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post

Wait a minute, you got to be from West Monroe, you don’t want to be from Monroe lol. I was born and raised there, worked at WMPD for a short period.

Comment

Yes sir, that's where we're from, where she wants to go back, and that's why the concern and questions.

Thanks for all the replies!

West Monroe not so bad in certain areas.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              I used to run security for a city housing authority. It has been maybe 8 years and I realize that things change.

A person or family can apply for a voucher. If approved the person/family can move into an apartment or even single family home. Section 8 isn’t just projects. Some houses are in nice areas. Some people allow their rental properties as S8 because they don’t have to routinely collect rent. The federal government sends them a monthly check. It takes a burden off the property owner from the monthly issue of needing the rent money

A S8 home can be in the middle of a quiet neighborhood with all privately owned homes.

The problem is getting approved for a voucher and finding a decent home. If approved you aren’t forced into a home and the vouchers can be used anywhere. This was not always the same rule for apartment complexes. We had people apply for vouchers in southeast Texas and people could use them to move to another state.

If you can get approval and if you can find a decent neighborhood, it is probably worth it. Nothing has to be accepted if you can’t find what you a are looking for.

What TVC said. I have helped some people in the area that for one reason or another we’re getting Govt assistance and in need of housing. Was able to find them a new home, and believe it, some of the landlords have no problem renting to them because it’s a guaranteed Govt check paying the mortgage. They weren’t bad people, just having money problems. Most were single women that couldn’t keep their knees together and popping out kids.

Last edited by DFWPI; 05-04-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X