Custom knife makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom knife makers

I know there is a lot of custom knife makers on the green screen. I am starting to jump off and attempt to make my first knife. I am looking for any advice and will take any knowledge anyone wants to share? Also is there anyone who might have a belt sander/grinder they aren’t using maybe they have upgraded? Like I said entry level and DEFINATELY a beginner here thanks!!

Look up the Texas Knifemakers' Guild on FB.

Comment

For the best custom knifes, I highly recommend cheap Pakistani Damascus blanks

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
        For the best custom knifes, I highly recommend cheap Pakistani Damascus blanks
        Honky Tonk Special of the knife world. Look great from a few feet away. Seems too good to be true. Not worth the trouble and probably scar you for life.

Comment

Lofton, where are you located?

My two cents.

Lets see, making a knife. What are you wanting to make? Better yet, what is the purpose, how is it to look, is it for you?

Are you wanting to sell, or just as a hobby? How much time are you willing to invest? How much research are you willing to do?

And in my opinion, how are you going to carry it? Lot of guys make nice knives, and can't/won't make a sheath, or- get a cheap Chinese sheath or wrap a nice knife in a cheap piece of kydex plastic.

To me, much more work in the sheath than the knife, a knife is a tool- the sheath is art. Some guys may object, but the knife is easier.

My start was a cheap Harbor Freight 1" grinder and belts- and a LOT of sandpaper. I'm talking from 120 grit to 3000 grit, plus a cheap HF buffer. Can you get by with less- yes, just depends on how much elbow grease you are willing to commit. The grinder isn't only for the knife, I use it a lot with the sheaths.

My start with the leather was visiting Tandy leather, watching videos, and a lot of trial and error. The sheath is the key- and you can branch out to other leather, gun slings, holsters, cases, etc.

You need to consider scale material, and how to secure, how to finish.

I'd recommend a couple of blade kits, get a finished blade, attach scales, make a sheath, etc.

How are you going to heat treat? My blades are heat treated by myself- and then Rockwell tested.

I'm not a sponsor, so I can't sell. If you are looking to make $, forget it. Most of mine get donated on TBH, some police/military requests, TPWD, TYHP- But I'll put mine up against anyone's. Let me know if you want to discuss.

Comment

Jankkl knives are amazing quality. Not sure if he does classes. I think Chops knives does classes.

Comment

I am looking to do this as a hobby. Build knives for myself with the looks and design I want. Possibly make some as gifts for close buddies. It’s something to do to get away from the world and spend some time just working with my hands.

Comment

i started by making knives by watching this guys video on making an infantryman knife

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98cGkhN18o"]YouTube[/ame]

and his filing jig here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ"]How to make and use a filing jig for knife blades. - YouTube[/ame]

I did a "how to" in the DIY section on the 1st knife I made about 5 years ago...you may be able to still find it

Comment

Working...
                X