No announcement yet.

2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to..But are thy Quiet enough...Grew up with range chickens 100 or so...They were not Quiet.. now that I live in neighborhood and lucky my lot backs to Mesquite overgrown pasture .. Thought about a try and if to noisy (I'll just eat them )an suggestions on quiet breed ...Thought about Rabbits (Quiet) but only Easter bunny lay eggs..

Comment

My mom sells chickens. She sold 397 yesterday alone. People are buying chickens like crazy since corona hit

Comment

Just got 10 red ones yesterday. Not sure of the breed. First time with chickens.

I've been working on a coop/run for a few weeks. It's not finished yet, so we just converted the dog pen for a temporary home until I get done with it.

They made it through the night......so that's a plus. I think my female JRT would really like to "play" with them. haha

Comment

We have 5 hens right now and are getting 3-5 eggs a day.

Comment

Love in a neighborhood, is it even worth messing with only 2-3 of them?

Comment

Chickens

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              Just got 10 red ones yesterday. Not sure of the breed. First time with chickens.

I've been working on a coop/run for a few weeks. It's not finished yet, so we just converted the dog pen for a temporary home until I get done with it.

They made it through the night......so that's a plus. I think my female JRT would really like to "play" with them. haha
              Prob Rhode Island Red popular in US..if so good easy goin and brn eggs...But there are lots of other red chics in word..

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                Love in a neighborhood, is it even worth messing with only 2-3 of them?
                Once they start laying, depending on breed, you can probably get close to a dozen eggs a week out of 3 birds.

Comment

Tag

Gary

Comment

My mom and sister have chickens and ducks and they give us all the eggs we can handle. I have always wanted to get into quail - any TBH'ers raising any for meat and/or eggs?

Comment

We have 9 Large hens in my back yard. They are all different breads. We get white, brown, blue, sky blue, and brown spec eggs. We also have 4 Serama.

We have 25ish at the barn. They are mixed also.
                      We live in a subdivision inside the city limits
                      Most cities will let you have them its the HOA that gets you.
                      Also most Cities will not allow you to have Roosters.

Ask questions. We have been doing it for years.

Chickens are barn yard bullies. Separate the new ones from old till they get used to each other.
                      We let them free range in my backyard during the day and they go back to the coop each night

IF you have a smaller set up. These are awesome.
                      So much better for laying boxes Than shavings.

Comment

We also sell eggs. We currently have a back order for eggs now. We get 5.00 a dozen
                        between all the birds we get on average a dozen a day.

Comment

...and then there were three.

Courtney and I finished up the coop/nesting box this afternoon and put the chickens in to get used to it. I came inside for a few minutes and heard Hannah scream. I went out to find that my wife had left the gate open, dogs got out and promptly attacked Harriet, everybody's favorite chicken.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            ...and then there were three.

Courtney and I finished up the coop/nesting box this afternoon and put the chickens in to get used to it. I came inside for a few minutes and heard Hannah scream. I went out to find that my wife had left the gate open, dogs got out and promptly attacked Harriet, everybody's favorite chicken.
                            Did the dogs leave any for dinner?

Comment

2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Following along as I am almost done with my coop, just have to close off the end at my building and cut some holes. Inside is around 12x6 and outside 12x50. Thinking of starting with 2-3 hens and a rooster as my dog might eat them, and once I verify security of my build I will likely increase to around 10 or so. Not sure if that is to many for the cage, but plan on ranging them some of dogs allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                                With everything thats going on I have noticed a significant increase in people buying chickens and also asking lots of beginner questions. So I figured I would start a thread to share information and also to ask questions.

My wife and I have had laying hens for the last 8 year's or so. Here's is a video my wife recently made with a few tips for beginners.
                                https://youtu.be/NATVkxcvwKY
                                Coincidence.....was watching the video and went to subscribe and I was already subscribed. Y'all have some good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X