No announcement yet.

Turning Protein Off Because of Rain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, if I was feeding protein I would stop. Protein, as I was told, serves to increase the microbacteria used in digestion in the animals digestive system which allows the animal to consume more browse hence the weight/antler gain.

If there has been enough rain, there is no need for the supplement. Enough protein is readily available.
    Last edited by Hayek'sPupil; 05-27-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

We don’t feed protein but do feed a lot of cottonseed. Oddly enough, the overall usage hasn’t really fallen off as much as I thought it was going to with all the rain. We’re keeping everything full and will do so until deer season starts. They’re just eating too much for me to turn it off for them.

I can’t believe the rain we’re getting. That alert of “10” is how many rain events we’ve had at the lease in the last 6 weeks or so. The place looks like a park right now. We had another 1/2” this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        We don’t feed protein but do feed a lot of cottonseed. Oddly enough, the overall usage hasn’t really fallen off as much as I thought it was going to with all the rain. We’re keeping everything full and will do so until deer season starts. They’re just eating too much for me to turn it off for them.

I can’t believe the rain we’re getting. That alert of “10” is how many rain events we’ve had at the lease in the last 6 weeks or so. The place looks like a park right now. We had another 1/2” this morning.

Me either. We had another half inch last night also, and are pushing 13 inches for the year.

Comment

You can always grow ya some giant coons if the deer stop eating it lol .But I would keep it going because I’m sure there are some bucks that absolutely still hit it regularly no matter what .

Comment

sorry to hijack, but this is somewhat related...

how many people are considering shooting deer a year younger this year because of all the rain? I try to hold at 7 for trophy deer, but we had some really nice 5 year olds I have a feeling are going to be in great shape this year.

do you roll the dice hoping for the best on next year, or do you shoot a year younger? I'm already pretty sure on two deer in particular this year, that I'm going to let people kill them at 6 if they had a good pop.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              sorry to hijack, but this is somewhat related...

how many people are considering shooting deer a year younger this year because of all the rain? I try to hold at 7 for trophy deer, but we had some really nice 5 year olds I have a feeling are going to be in great shape this year.

do you roll the dice hoping for the best on next year, or do you shoot a year younger? I'm already pretty sure on two deer in particular this year, that I'm going to let people kill them at 6 if they had a good pop.
              I personally hate breaking my age rules (7+ for trophies), but one or two bucks will not make or break a deer herd. So, if you see a 6 yr old buck that really gets you excited and you are happy with his antlers, kill him. I have lost more than a few trophies waiting for them to turn 7+......

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                I assume you feed year round irrespective of rain fall?
                Correct

Comment

I have experienced over the years they wouldn't eat much if any right now because of the rains and food available. If I had a large ranch I would keep it going, but not on my small acreage

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                    I personally hate breaking my age rules (7+ for trophies), but one or two bucks will not make or break a deer herd. So, if you see a 6 yr old buck that really gets you excited and you are happy with his antlers, kill him. I have lost more than a few trophies waiting for them to turn 7+......
                    Yup agree 100 percent...

Comment

Our deer are still pounding the protein, but really light on the cottonseed right now. I'm expecting that to change the drier it gets this summer. I'm sticking with my program, protein year round, cottonseed January through September/October. The deer usually let us know when to stop cottonseed, as they stop eating it in abundance.

Comment

I keep track of this on my ranch. Granted I only run 3 time protein feeders on 640 acres. They are open from 6AM to 8PM

April - 68 pounds per day
                        May - 49 pounds per day
                        June - 103 pounds per day

I would keep it flowing.

Comment

I ended up lagging just a bit. We haven't been down in 7 weeks so more than likely we've been out for 2 weeks. Headed down Saturday to get everything filled up again. Our ranch is in incredible shape for being late June, looks like another possible round of rain Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            I ended up lagging just a bit. We haven't been down in 7 weeks so more than likely we've been out for 2 weeks. Headed down Saturday to get everything filled up again. Our ranch is in incredible shape for being late June, looks like another possible round of rain Friday.
                            Good luck - tell those cowboys Hola for me.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                              Good luck - tell those cowboys Hola for me.
                              Yes sir will do. Saw where you guys finally got some rain!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X