Texas boat title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas boat title?

So I bought a little 12' jon boat and 5hp motor a couple years back off Facebook market place. I bought it without a title and I need to know how to get a title on this boat without knowing the history on this boat. Just from the research I've done its seems to be a difficult task as I dont know who the previous owners were. Are there any tricks to this? Or am I doing something wrong. And with me living in Texas and running it on the Red River being Oklahoma water what type of paper work do I have to have?

call TPWD and they can tell you who were the titled owners to the Boat and Motor and explain the "Official" process. Not easy by any stretch.

Comment

Has it been registered this whole time?

What you are trying to do is nearly impossible, with miles of frustrating documentation and heartache at best.

Comment

^word. Prolly would be easier in long run to trash that setup or sell and get another setup already titled lol

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
          Has it been registered this whole time?

What you are trying to do is nearly impossible, with miles of frustrating documentation and heartache at best.
          This is accurate, I don't even know if it can be done. I boat a boat and motor a few years ago that was built before it had to be titled. I got hold of TPWD and they told me about the jumping through hoops I was going to have to do. I drug my feet until the laws changed and now it cant be done.

This may not be the case with you boat because min had never been.

Comment

nearly impossible to do without the original title,,, I have been through it,,,

Comment

Pretty hard to do, but is slightly possible. I have rarely had any assistance from TPWD personnel in their offices. Best to go here:

click on the "query ownership" link. You will have to put in your name to access it, but no big deal. You can query boat ownership with either the TX number from an old registration tag on the boat, or the boat serial number on the hull. From there, it will give you the person it is currently titled to. I believe it is just a street or mailing address. From that, you can contact them and ask them for title or if they have lost it, they can get a replacement title for I think like $38. Then they transfer it to you for another $25 or so.
              Not impossible, but TPWD has gone crazy wanting titles on boats and motors (which is ridiculous), without a real clear path to do that, considering for years hundreds of boats were on private waters and didn't need that. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                nearly impossible to do without the original title,,, I have been through it,,,

He’s right, almost unheard of

I’ve heard of people claiming them as home built but I’m not sure what the process is on that

Comment

It can be done, but does take paperwork and a trainload of patience. In have an older (80’s) small outboard that didn’t have any paperwork. I managed to get a title- largely because the previous owner had not registered it.

If it has very been registered with TPWD- the previous owners will (almost certainly) have to be contacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i guess being good looking has its privileges. I got all this done in 2 trips to the TPWD office back in September. I had the paperwork I thought I needed on day one. Lady gave me something different, came back and got what I needed. Titles showed up in the mailbox

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      i guess being good looking has its privileges. I got all this done in 2 trips to the TPWD office back in September. I had the paperwork I thought I needed on day one. Lady gave me something different, came back and got what I needed. Titles showed up in the mailbox
                      You been drinkin’ heavily again, haven’t you?

Comment

Its a Beach and really a headache but can be done...

Comment

A 12’ Jon boat has a title, but my high dollar tractor does not!!! That’s crazy!

Good luck OP!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            You been drinkin’ heavily again, haven’t you?
                            Maybe, but I got titles[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Im not saying ive done this. But i may of known somebody who has...so u make up your own vin and punch it into the hull for a hull id number. It needs to be the correct number of letters and numbers for the manufacturer. You make a rubbing of it on a piece of paper for tpwd. Then u can title it. I know a guy who has his vin as no joke 8675309.

Comment

Working...
                              X