Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear question for the fisherman out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is a hunting site and probably the wrong place to be asking questions about fishing but I know there are lots of guys on here that are avid fishermen as well so I'm looking for opinions.

I don't fish much but now have access to some property nearby with good sized soil conservation lake on it. I figured a little fishing would be a good way to help pass some time this summer.

All my rods and reels (that haven't been used for a few years are cheap spinners). I want to try a baitcaster set up but don't have a clue where to start. I can honestly say I haven't touched a baitcaster since the 90's. So it will take me a few days out to get used to it again.

As far as baitcasters go what is the easiest to cast reel. Are any more friendly to a relative novice than others. Are their some specific models that would be less likely to turn into a birds nest with my untrained thumb? I'm not looking for the ultimate distance precision and control out there...just something that is user friendly and easy to learn on.

Next what rod would you pair it with.

Price really isn't a concern but this isn't something that will be heavily used for the next 10 years. I don't mind paying a little more if the equipment is easier to use than a cheaper model. Let's say keep the rod/reel combo under $350ish.

Suggestions on a set up folks?

Lews combos, good value for your money. I just purchase a crush combo and Im pretty happy with it.

Comment

I've been out of the freshwater game since early 90's but bought my son in law a Lew's custom inshore speed spool on a Waterloo salinity medium action for about that much that would be a nice bass set up, the speed spool casts really nice. Someone might be able to recommend a more bass specific rod than the salinity.

Comment

Diana Tatula is what I went too years ago. Great break system, have a few Lews, they are good as well.

Comment

Sorry, Diawa Tatula.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
            Sorry, Diawa Tatula.
            Already googled Diana

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
              Sorry, Diawa Tatula.
              Yeah everything I've been able to find that has normal fishermen not backed by sponsors all seem to say the Tatula SV is the way to go and that it is very easy to learn to cast with.

What would be a good rod to pair it with? Lenght action etc. that would be the most forgiving when casting?

Comment

This is my favorite fresh water setup for LMB. Tatula TWS 6.3 CT 100H. On a 7.3 MH fishing 13 OMEN rod.
                Attached Files

Comment

If you look on eBay buy now type sites you can find the reels around $115 to $135 new.

Comment

Blackmax by Abu-Garcia is the one baitcaster I've found to rival the Quantum 1310.

As for as a rod, keeping it simple and going with a Ugly stick.

Comment

Abu Garcia !
                      Nuff said .

Comment

The Shimano DC reels are interesting, but they are proud of them.

The Daiwa Tatula have been made famous for jig skipping ability but distance wise they don’t hold a candle to Abu/Lews. I hate how high profile the Daiwa’s are compared to Abu/Lews.

Abu and Lews are made in the same factory so while they have a different look internally they are extremely similar.

I’m very partial to Abu Garcia. I’ve got a number of gen 3 Revo STX that are 6 or so years old that have never needed more than a drop of oil a year. And for a while there I was fishing 2+ days a week year round.

Rod wise I like Falcon, the sensitivity for the price and Academy warranty are great.

Comment

If you’re open to buying used I could write a long paragraph on what I use and what Shimano did with the Chronarch vs the Curado at the time I bought them but I’ll let someone else from you that.

Long story short Shimano bumped every level down for a series and fishermen got their panties in a wad.

^^^^ Great setup and what I still use currently to fish a few weekends a year.

^^^^ this is the reel that caused all the problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Black Ice; 02-04-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I have become a really big fan of the Fishing 13 Concept reels. I'm slowing replacing all my Curados & Diawa with them. I really haven't found one rod brand that I like, but different brands for different techniques

Comment

Get a 7' medium heavy with a moderate fast/fast tip for a all around good rod.

Lews has an excellent value reel. I believe its called tournament pro. It's around $119.00 but can often be found on sale for around $99.

Comment

Working...
                              X