Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default With friends like these...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ncryption.html


So because a savage that the government let in acted like a savage and killed people the government made sure couldn’t defend themselves, the government needs more power and we have to have less privacy. You know, to protect us. It’s for our own good.

Because of course, if we’ve learned anything it’s that powers absolutely will not be abused and used for malfeasance. Scumbags....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ncryption.html


So because a savage that the government let in acted like a savage and killed people the government made sure couldn’t defend themselves, the government needs more power and we have to have less privacy. You know, to protect us. It’s for our own good.

Because of course, if we’ve learned anything it’s that powers absolutely will not be abused and used for malfeasance. Scumbags....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup—-and just earlier this week there was a thread Questioning how someone could think R’s are the same as D’s!

And yet here is living evidence of an R written bill that threatens personal privacy.
But should we expect less from the party of the inappropriately named Patriot Act?
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Wow.. It never ends.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Yall really have a problem with law enforcement having access to tech in a criminal investigation? Better yet a terrorist investigation?
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yall really have a problem with law enforcement having access to tech in a criminal investigation? Better yet a terrorist investigation?
Yep! The Patriot Act looked reasonable on the surface too. It was the absolute worst liberty stealing law ever passed.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Yep! The Patriot Act looked reasonable on the surface too. It was the absolute worst liberty stealing law ever passed.
The patriot act was abused no doubt but that's Completely different thing.
That was listening to conversations live.
Barr want phones unlocked AFTER a crime or terrorist act has been committed. Why should a criminals phone ( which is likely to have been used in the act) not be allowed to be used as evidence?
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
MetalMan2004
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
The patriot act was abused no doubt but that's Completely different thing.
That was listening to conversations live.
Barr want phones unlocked AFTER a crime or terrorist act has been committed. Why should a criminals phone ( which is likely to have been used in the act) not be allowed to be used as evidence?
To do that they have to outlaw end-to-end encryption (remove a liberty) for everyone. Thats the issue.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yall really have a problem with law enforcement having access to tech in a criminal investigation? Better yet a terrorist investigation?


The same law enforcement who just collaborated with a political party to spy on, and try to oust POTUS by illegally using powers given to them to investigate criminals and terrorists? The same law enforcement that answers to the government who let this terrorist in so he could be trained by us, tells us everyday we have to let in more people do the same, and made sure the people he killed couldn’t arm themselves?

Yes, I have a problem with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Yep
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Well as it stands right now big tech has much more power than the ELECTED representatives. Big tech knows everything or could know everything about you with out any consequence. If my elected or law enforcement officials abuse power we can get rid of them or prosecute them
I know currently that seem like a joke but it can be done. Your worried about what law might do but apparently dont care about what big tech actually does. There are articles all the time about your tech spying on you an no one seems to care. My opinions on the corruption by a small few are well known. But I also know that 99.9% of those same law enforcement entities are there to do good and do not abuse their power. I'm not a drug lord, murderer, terrorist or any other type of criminal so I could care less if end to end encryption is gone and not sure how it effects anyone who does not have the law man breathing down their necks. So, please tell me why it matters if your not engaging in criminal activity? Why would law want info off your phone?
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yall really have a problem with law enforcement having access to tech in a criminal investigation? Better yet a terrorist investigation?
But you biotch about the governments over reach by not letting you carry without a CHL but you are ok with this..
Lol.. Goodness..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Here's a novel idea..
How about the Feds stop letting these terrorists in, with open arms, and do something about the many KNOWN terrorists cells(training camps)throughout this country..
Because they don't address this low hanging fruit it makes the Feds intentions with this sort of crap appear to be something more than they are advertising.. It makes no sense.

Take care of that before passing more laws that help invade the privacy of law abiding citizens..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 02-01-2020 at 03:49 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Here's a novel idea..
How about the Feds stop letting these terrorists in, with open arms, and do something about the many KNOWN terrorists cells(training camps)throughout this country..
Because they don't address this low hanging fruit it makes the Feds intentions with this sort of crap appear to be something more than they are advertising.. It makes no sense.

Take care of that before passing more laws that help invade the privacy of law abiding citizens..


“We screwed up and can’t protect you, so we need to have access to more of your private life so we can protect you”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #14
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: gonzales tx
Hunt In: gonzales, and....
Default

I can see the good and bad side of it in both directions.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #15
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Technology has pros and cons as it always has. There are people that will ustilize it to succeed in their illicit endeavors. Nothing has changed since the dawn of time.

I would think that if asked in a case such as the one being discussed most companies would cooperate. Not sure if Apple infact is unable to unlock the phone.

As mentioned above, I would not just worry as to whether the spying is being done by the government. Big tech is selling our info without us even knowing it. How do they even "have" our info?
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #16
Hooverfb
Ten Point
 
Hooverfb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
“We screwed up and can’t protect you, so we need to have access to more of your private life so we can protect you”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup dont agree with this. I get why they wrote it. But still dont sit right with me
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Big tech is so much more dangerous than our government. A relatively small group hold ALL the tools necessary to control all of lives....probably every human life. They
They censore conservative voices. They capitulate to communist dictators and censor content in those countries. China has implemented a social credit score.( google that ) A system that further limits the people suffering under it. Big tech will influence our elections much more than any gov. entities around the world. Big tech has so much more power around the world than it should be allowed to have and one day that power WILL slap everyone in the face. Our gov. has its flaws but it cant compare to big tech.

Last edited by flywise; 02-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #18
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Big tech is so much more dangerous than our government. A relatively small group hold ALL the tools necessary to control all of lives....probably every human life. They
They censore conservative voices. They capitulate to communist dictators and censor content in those countries. China has implemented a social credit score.( google that ) A system that further limits the people suffering under it. Big tech will influence our elections much more than any gov. entities around the world. Big tech has so much more power around the world than it should be allowed to have and one day that power WILL slap everyone in the face. Our gov. has its flaws but it cant compare to big tech.


There are a ton of problems with big tech. This bill (and thread) is about law enforcement having access to private information. Big tech already has the power to, and has influenced elections. In spite of that, the person they didn’t want to win won. They couldn’t do anything about it. Our government and certain elements of law enforcement could, tried, and drive our country into turmoil. Big tech may have access to information, but as of now they can’t misuse it to enforce anything, open investigations or prosecute. Federal law enforcement can and has proven they will.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Good stuff
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/goog...strangers.html
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #20
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Still doesn’t help your stance.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #21
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Lol, nope
Cops bad
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Lol, nope
Cops bad


Nice straw man.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #23
crc
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wharton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Lol, nope
Cops bad
Why do you hate Freedom?
crc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #24
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
Why do you hate Freedom?
I hate freedom? Dang man...you got some reach.

Why do you want terrorist and felons to have privacy rights? Why do you want to limit the tool box that law enforcement needs to find others that might be involved in say a terrorist attack?

Last edited by flywise; 02-06-2020 at 09:24 AM.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #25
crc
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wharton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I hate freedom? Dang man...you got some reach.
I was just replying to a ridiculous statement with a ridiculous question. See how it works?
crc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #26
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
I was just replying to a ridiculous statement with a ridiculous question. See how it works?
I see stupid....very clear
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #27
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I see stupid....very clear
Obviously not!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #28
Thumper
Pope & Young
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
To do that they have to outlaw end-to-end encryption (remove a liberty) for everyone. Thats the issue.

Just a heads up, the issue is:

1. I do not need or want a truck warranty.

2. I do not need a 0% credit card for my credit card debt.

3. I already have a home security system.

Please stop calling 5-10 times a day.




Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #29
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young
 
Gummi Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland
Default

I didn't see anything in the first article about having a court order to Apple to open those phones. Maybe I missed it.

Barr demanding that they do it, is just bluster. He's our attorney general, a prosecutor; not a judge. He cannot issue warrants, he is part of the executive branch, the judicial branch issues warrants.


That is, if I'm remembering government classes from high school correctly.
Gummi Bear is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #30
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummi Bear View Post
I didn't see anything in the first article about having a court order to Apple to open those phones. Maybe I missed it.

Barr demanding that they do it, is just bluster. He's our attorney general, a prosecutor; not a judge. He cannot issue warrants, he is part of the executive branch, the judicial branch issues warrants.


That is, if I'm remembering government classes from high school correctly.
Graham is proposing legislation to require a backdoor into encrypted devices for law enforcement.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com