Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx
Default Do you give to beggars?

2 questions, do you give to beggars and have you ever been homeless?
This guy just now had his whole family out with him on the corner. Him, his wife, son, daughter, and newborn.
I must be cold hearted because I usually never give to panhandlers, I feel itís their choices for the most part that their in that situation.
I do however tip big and help on some gofundmeís when asked. Maybe Iím being to judgmental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

They’re Gypsies. Probably Romanian. Don’t give them a dime.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Nope.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Nope
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
Theyíre Gypsies. Probably Romanian. Donít give them a dime.
Yeah I can see that now that you mentioned it. They all looked Romanian.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Nope....
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

nope,
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Shaun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Sometimes yes. I do wonder if they are on the up and up. When I do give I try to have faith that God will use his money in the right direction.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

If I have cash in my pocket I usually do. They can do whatever they want with it.
STX_Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bandera County

never
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

My first construction project in downtown Austin completely changed my view towards the homeless. I use to have sympathy and think how unfortunate it was that these people were in such a situation. I quickly found out this was the exact life they wanted to live. Further, they were the most disrespectful, straight up nasty individuals that I ever came across. I hate to compartmentalize that group as a whole, but 99% were that way. I don't give a penny to them. I personally watched a guy on the corner near the job get a few handouts, then walk over to the drug dealer nearby and to get his fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

No
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I have and will continue but not if I suspect they are simply panhandling. I have never been destitute, and many can find themselves homeless through job losses, mental issues, and other situations beyond their control. Others choose the lifestyle.

A number of years ago, there was an article in the Rice alumni magazine about a female graduate who disappeared from her family for several or more years. By a miraculous stroke of luck she was found in San Francisco on the streets. She had developed a mental issue, and someone in San Francisco reaches out to her and quizzed her about her past. They were able to locate her family in Texas and she was reunited and got help.

One never knows.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #14
RickH78
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas

I have heard that a lot of them make pretty good money.

https://youtu.be/6NTk0uSLKds
RickH78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

I won't contribute to the delinquency of delinquents until I stop seeing "help wanted" signs.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #16
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

Lived in Austin for 32 years of my life and saw a lot of beggars. I have seen many walking from a street corner and get into a car hidden behind a building, and the car was nicer than the vehicle I drive. some truly are homeless but many are not. Personally i will NEVER give them a penny. McDonalds is always hiring and so are many other stores. if you want a job bad enough you can find one!!!
forced-2-work is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #17
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Nope. I'm lucky enough and have worked hard over the years to be doing well for myself. I will tip generously to a waiter or waitress who is nice, polite and works hard. I'm not giving anyone money who is just begging for it and not willing to do anything.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #18
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
The gypsies are slick. We were on our way to an Astros game last year. Stopped at an atm in The Woodlands and a woman is at the intersection (I believe she had a kid with her). Later that night we come out of the game and the same woman is sitting outside the exit. Probably wouldn't have noticed but she was very distinct looking.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
deerplanter
Ten Point

I don't judge people and if they need help and ask I will help if I can. God has blessed me with a great life so I feel that he may want to bless others as I can. If they use it for something other than to help themselves then that's on them, but I have done my part. I have never been homeless but have known several that was and got their life back together and always started with a generous soul helping them.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #20
Foxtrot
Four Point

Hunt In: Looking!

I do not and I will not. Some are aggressive and some aren't. Im sure that some are truly down on hard times and some are not. I absolutely cannot stand someone on a street corner asking for money. It drives me crazy. They will continue to ask for $ as long as people keep giving them $.
Now, I will offer food if Im leaving a rest and have leftovers.
I personally watched a guy begging near Bucees in Temple one day. I was across 35 eating at Wendys and he walked in and pulled out a wad of $ like you wouldn't believe. He had at least $1000 and Im low balling that. He got food and then walked back across to Bucees and got in his car and left. It is this sort of bad apple that ****** me off and the reason that I will not give to any beggar
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #21
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Generally no, but I do on occasion. Had one guy I saw daily who actually had a list on his sign. Toiletries etc. I bought a couple things as did others I assume. Next week his list was a white or Asian lady . Started with wanting a wife but then discussed to be ready for the invasion and ended illegibly. Never decided for sure if I thought it was all a scam or he really had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

Lots of factors and issues with panhandlers and homeless. Many, many are either drug/alcohol addicts and/or have severe mental issues. Most folks don't want to live this way i believe and yes some scammers as well.

"there but for the grace of God go I..." have some compassion for your fellow man and appreciate what you have been given, the world will be a better place for it!
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #23
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I won't give money. I have put gasoline in vehicles and have bought food. The story is normally that they don't have enough money for gas and they are trying to get to "some place". I normally offer to fill their car up. Most decline. Got hit up outside the Taco Casa a few months ago by a woman needing money just to get here kids something to eat. They were all in the car. Told her to go in and order and I would pay....told me they didn't eat Mexican food....

Best one I have heard was the lady that hit me up in Wal-Mart needing money for formula and diapers. Told her to follow me and we'll go get the stuff you need....again she declined.

One of my better feel good moments was also in Wal-Mart. I was checking out and there was a very young black girl with an infant checking out in front of me with nothing but baby supplies, milk, eggs, and meat. I over heard the cashier tell her that her WIC card was declined for that amount. She left diapers, the milk and something else. She got her bags and walked out. I quickly paid for all the stuff and chased her down in the parking lot and gave them to her. She was getting in piece of crap car and I think I scared he crap out of her. Got some tears and hug in return.

Last edited by 175gr7.62; 01-24-2020 at 11:20 AM.
175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #24
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I would rather give to someone that doesn't ask for it.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
txhunter806
Six Point

Hunt In: over yonder

On several occasions I'd see the same guy begging during the day with various cardboard signs held up around town. Then see the same guy pull up to the same happy hour spot I was at in his pickup.
txhunter806 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
RickH78
Ten Point

We were in Corpus for 4 days back in September and the first night after driving the beach on PINS we were pretty hungry so we decided to hit up the original whataburger just to say we did it. Lol. The homeless were all over Shoreline Blvd and at least 4 of them hanging out at whataburger. We were walking out and one of them was trying to sell me a picture frame or a random bike chain.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #27
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Nope.

When I was a firefighter in Atlanta we would always get approached by bums if we were walking around downtown. When they walked up, before they could speak I'd say "Lemme hold a dolla.". I usually got an "Awe man." in return.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #28
kcnatural
Six Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

Not with the corona virus going around
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #29
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Had a guy last year with a "work for food sign". I told him to hop in the truck and I'd pay him $150 to work for 8 hours sweeping out houses and picking up trash around a subdivision I'm building.
He said "No thanks, I've got a bad back.". I told him I had a bad back too.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #30
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnatural View Post
Not with the corona virus going around
I'm just gonna drink Tectate until that thing passes.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #31
RickH78
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Got hit up outside the Taco Casa a few months ago by a woman needing money just to get here kids something to eat. They were all in the car. Told her to go in and order and I would pay....told me they didn't eat Mexican food....
Should of told her don't worry it's not Mexican food... Haha!
Old 01-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #32
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced-2-work View Post
Lived in Austin for 32 years of my life and saw a lot of beggars. I have seen many walking from a street corner and get into a car hidden behind a building, and the car was nicer than the vehicle I drive. some truly are homeless but many are not. Personally i will NEVER give them a penny. McDonalds is always hiring and so are many other stores. if you want a job bad enough you can find one!!!
Saw the same in Houston, beggars walking to really nice cars
News crew shadowed them to a nice home inside the loop
I do some times hand out a small meal coupon or gift cards
Cash never
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
Thorcules
Six Point

Hunt In: Bastrop County, McLennan County

I stopped giving money, but I never eat all of my lunch so I get a to go box everyday and hand it to a homeless person. Better than wasted food going in the trash.
Thorcules is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #34
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

A number of years ago, a local radio station had a guy on from the Star of Hope or something similar, and he said that, if you really care about the homeless, you will give to organizations like his that get them food, shelter, medical and psychological treatment, and help them get off alcohol and drugs. If you give money to them directly, you are keeping them where they are and fostering the very things that got them there. This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better, rather than to really help the person that you are giving the money to. I give to the Salvation Army, and they have a track record for helping those in need. My wife's aunt is a prime example. She now lives a nice normal life after having been taken off the street by them. IMHO, giving them money directly is the easy thing to do, but not the best thing for them.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #35
kcnatural
Six Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
Dos Equis for me
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #36
Charles
Pope & Young

Nope...you are an enabler by giving them money directly. If you care, give to a homeless shelter.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #37
tfowler10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co.

Usually offer them $10 for 10 push-ups. (this of course dependent on their physical appearance) Most decline prior to even trying
tfowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #38
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

haven't we been down this similar thread before ???
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #39
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Funny!
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #40
LarryP_1989
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes, Walker cty.

Years ago I was with my mom and my sister eating at a Taco Bell after running some errands. When we pulled in the parking lot there was a man standing on the corner asking for change or food. We went in and ordered, and about 5 minutes later the man came in and walked up to the counter to order. I think he ordered a $0.89 burrito or something and as he was trying to count his change he dropped some and it rolled under the counter. He was on his hands and knees trying to get the change that had rolled under the counter. He kept apologizing to the people in line, and we noticed that he started crying. I assume from being embarrassed. Fortunately the woman behind him paid for his food. He thanked her numerous times and walked over to a table, sat down, bowed his head and said a prayer. Before we left we ordered some more food and walked over and gave it to him along with $10. He thanked us and said god bless with tears running down his face. After we got done we waited in the car to see where he would go when he left. He walked across the street under the overpass where he had a dog on a leash. He sat down next to a sleeping bag and shared some of the food we gave him with the dog. I do not know his story or how he wound up in his situation, but after seeing him trying to pay for his food we truly felt sorry for him. I normally never give to beggars but felt like this instance it was the right thing to do.

Last edited by LarryP_1989; 01-24-2020 at 11:48 AM.
LarryP_1989 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #41
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

The ones with the family's are fake. Lets just say I had spare time one day to wait for them to leave. Sickening.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #42
Bisch
Pope & Young

I wonít give to the folks on the street! Too many of them are just looking for booze and drug money.

I will give to organizations who will help folks that need it and seek it!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #43
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

I do not and have not. I prefer to give my money to organizations who provide assistance to those really in need.

I saw some gypsies a while back on a street corner. One guy was holding a sign asking for money and he had a cell phone.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #44
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Just don't stray out to far with the Corona jokes.....
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #45
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

It's a case by case decision for me. It's generally a no. But I have a soft spot for the elderly. They may be grifters too, but I give it with a good heart. What they do with it is on them.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #46
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I don't give money but I do typically keep snacks and water in my truck. I will gladly give food to someone who really needs it. You can tell pretty quickly if they are grateful or not.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #47
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Hail no
Most likely just supporting a drug habit.

I did give a guy a bottle of water one time because it was a hot day and he was out there on a corner with a dog, no shade. He didn’t act too appreciative.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #48
Stuck
Ten Point

Built a house for a guy years ago. He had cleaned himself up and had a good job making close to 6 figures. He told me about his homeless days when he was addicted. He would always have his girlfriend begging because women would get more, and she would get handouts until they had enough for their next fix.
Stuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #49
Jerry H
Ten Point

Hunt In: Retired

NO
The only people I give money to is Salvation Army and any Fire Department collecting money at intersections.
Jerry H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #50
Honker
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the wild things are

Quote:
Yall crack me up...Romanian...ha!
Honker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top