This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
    Yep, TPWD is strong arming it since it is state regs and they are taking over the draw and all the hagerman segments take place during general season.
    Are they still doing the proficiency tests? It's not hard with a compound but would be a piece of cake with a crossbow.

That's going to open the draw up to a ton of people. Definitely going to be a once in a lifetime draw now. Probably have more applicants than Chaparral.

Comment

Originally posted by Bb187 View Post
      I ask how many deer were harvested this year from hagerman because two things seem to be consistent from my knowledge. Less deer taken each year.
      They killed 23 in seg a I bet they haven’t done that in seg a in 5 yrs. weather was good probably killed 15 in b. The deer number are there the reason ur not seeing them is because U hunt like a lot of people around Hagerman 20 yards from that big round circle deer learn to pattern that ****!

Comment

Okay..... not to get away from the shot placement thread on Hag C but...., only saw four deer today, a buck chasing a doe on private land, a fork horn and then had a 11" 6pt walk under me.
        Had a great time on my first trip to the Hag, saw deer all three days, the most being saturday morning, had very little movement in my area in the afternoons.Friday the wind blew so hard the when I got in bed I still felt like I was swaying,imagine it will be like that tonight too.
        Met a bunch of great folks and the entire staff was super supportive and friendly, some much better than the other two NWR I have hunted on.
        Even though I couldnt make it happen, its is still nice to see that many critters moving around!

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan
          You have finally made me start applying! Hopefully I get drawn next year.

Good luck with the rest of your season.
          Our Group will be putting in as well.

Comment

No wonder the tracking dog business is booming...

Comment

The elk shot link.....
              Bet that kid missed where he was aiming for, and got lucky. He was prob aiming front/mid shoulder but got lucky and hit jugular.
              Buddy of mine did exact same thing nearly, on an AZ elk. Only it was straight on, and he intentionally shot at base of the neck. <15 yds.

Comment

I wish they would make hagerman traditional only, and only it once every 3 years with all units open.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                  So let’s say we are all on a lease together where you are allowed one buck. One of the hunters takes a very low percentage shot at a trophy but doesn’t find it. Before he is 100% sure that the buck is alive and well he says “Hey I crawled around for several hours and didn’t find him. He’s probably gonna live and I might not take a very low percentage shot again”.
                  Would y’all still be so encouraging and tell Drake and Grayson that the state owns the deer so mind your own business?
                  I wouldn’t blame Woodsman for trying for a golden ticket but unless I was 100% sure he was alive and well I wouldn’t pull the trigger on another buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  If it is written in your lease agreement that if you draw blood that counts as your deer than your done. That’s how our lease is, but it’s in a written contract. The guy contacted the game warden the people at the H putting the hunt on, and obviously they didn’t tell him to stop hunting. I really can’t believe that people are giving this guy a hard time. Unbelievable, public land hunt... he pays his taxes I assume so if he wants to keep hunting more power to him.

Woodsman sorry your hearing this crap

Comment

Sorry about the lost deer and the twisted britches on the forum tonight.

I think I only saw pics of one buck from this seg. Did I miss em or was that it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                      Our Group will be putting in as well.
                      If anyone can find and kill a giant at the Hag it's you and your brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                        Are they still doing the proficiency tests? It's not hard with a compound but would be a piece of cake with a crossbow.

That's going to open the draw up to a ton of people. Definitely going to be a once in a lifetime draw now. Probably have more applicants than Chaparral.
                        Why do you think they're doing it, MO MONEY. The refuge staff told me the are adamant about keeping the proficiency testing and IBEP certifcation requirements, so it sounds those will stay at least for next year. They didn't say it outright but the feeling I got the state wanted to do away with both. I sure they spin them as barriers to opportunity when the real barrier is the thousand that will now put in for the draw and the low draw odds as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
                          I wish they would make hagerman traditional only, and only it once every 3 years with all units open.
                          I'd be all for that vs. where they are headed with it next year, McAlester in oklahoma is trad only, why couldn't H be? Guys used to get it done there that way

Comment

There are always going to be marginal shots taken at Hagerman. People have 3 days to get it done and you never know when another hunter is going to walk in on you and setup 30 yards away on the ground raking trees and making all kinds of commotion. Then if you're lucky you get to do it all over again in 2-3 years. You take the shots you are comfortable with and do the best you can.

Comment

I’m not going to respond to any specific attacks and criticism right now, or maybe ever, because so many here have completely lost sight of what bowhunting truly is—a gamble. By the measure some of y’all are judging me by—NONE OF US SHOULD EVEN BE USING ARCHERY EQUIPMENT because it’s not the most effective means for dispatching an animal. Put your ethics money where your mouth is, and shoot the rest of your deer with a 12 ga. at 10 yards. Won’t be anymore lost animals and you won’t be ripping on people for not meeting your standards. The lack of logic I’m reading is incredible.

Anyway, judge away and crucify me if it makes you feel like a superior hunter or society’s moral compass. Viewing hunting purely as a sport vs the origins in which it was founded is going to keep y’all in knots, and that’s a hard ship to turn, as our entire hunting culture has morphed that way. But that’s an entirely separate discussion.

He was hunting about 60 yards from a feeder
                              Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              Was he hunting over yours or the neighbors feeder?
                              Mine
                              He was on hagerman property. Albeit about 15 yards from the fence.
                              I chimed in because I read multiple posts that mentioned “its public land and he wasn’t hunting over feed”. No politics here, just wanted the facts to all be posted and not one sided.

I have not heard how many deer were taken?
                              One thing I will comment on, is the gentleman neighbor I spoke to shortly after I shot the buck. And by the way, I appreciate the advice you offered about where to look for him, and how things have gone with retrieving deer from other neighboring properties. It was nice meeting you.

To your assumptions about me hunting your feeder. I can understand how you might perceive that I was hunting your feeder, but stating that is a fact is overreaching and inaccurate in this case. I will kindly encourage you to go read the first page of this thread, and you’ll have an exact understanding of why I hunted where I did (never mind the hot buck droppings I found in his bedroom). See those deer photos? Those bucks were either feeding under or very near the exact tree that the buck I shot also ate acorns from for a split second. Pick a tree in that young buck photo and I can walk you straight to it. I saw the first buck from 100 yards away on the other side of the creek, and I had no idea there were any feeders nearby, and frankly I don’t care. Corn feeder hunting is so unreliable in my experience. Acorns are not. I’ve hunted public land exclusively for 9 years, and I have never once “hunted” someone’s fence line feeder. Nothing against those that do, I just find it very unproductive. I hunted leases for 10 years before that, and grew tired of seeing the same young deer or no deer, when the better animals were at select varieties of oaks, feeding under select trees.

I sat there for 3 days facing straight away from your property, and it was 25 yards off the fence, which is my ideal comfort zone. Total deer I saw walking to your property = zero. Total deer I saw on your property from an occasional glance behind me, twisting around the big oak I was on = zero. Total deer I watched eating acorns on the refuge side = 14. And when I asked you about what kinda deer you see, you told me “everything circles my property, they just go around”. Yeah they do, there gorging on red oaks and a couple other varieties.

Anyway, I have no issues with you, I just wanted to nip that in the bud before it turns into another debate on this thread.

Everybody else, Y’all chillren knock it off and act like you love each other. We share a commonality, let’s keep that in focus.
                              Last edited by woodsman; 12-08-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I ask how many deer were harvested this year from hagerman because two things seem to be consistent from my knowledge. Less deer taken each year.

The stars aligned for segment A. They did well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X