No announcement yet.

Mud hole advice ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build it up so that it doesn't hold water then go from there.

Once you get it crowned you can add lime to stabilize clay soils and add base / rock on that.

Until you get the area draining it will be a continuous battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would dig out the muck add a good fabric and fill back with crushed concrete.

No matter what you do honestly dig the muck out first.

Comment

I got a few spots. I plan getting water out, shovel out mud/mush, and order a truck load of 3/4-dust crushed limestone. maybe mix in a little portland cement

Comment

I sell stone, like the kind you put on the front of your house, and I wind up with a bunch that can't be used. I used a bunch of it several years ago to raise part of our yard. I just shuffled it around with the bucket till it layed fairly flat, then ran over it till smooth. It will smush down into soft ground and you put more over top until it quits going down...then put some gravel over top. It distributes weight well and will carry A LOT of traffic.

I have tons upon tons of old stone like this if anyone wants it. I'll have my guys load all you want for this kind of thing, erosion control, or whatever. Some is on pallets, most would need a dump truck.

My yard is near Keller.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I sell stone, like the kind you put on the front of your house, and I wind up with a bunch that can't be used. I used a bunch of it several years ago to raise part of our yard. I just shuffled it around with the bucket till it layed fairly flat, then ran over it till smooth. It will smush down into soft ground and you put more over top until it quits going down...then put some gravel over top. It distributes weight well and will carry A LOT of traffic.

I have tons upon tons of old stone like this if anyone wants it. I'll have my guys load all you want for this kind of thing, erosion control, or whatever. Some is on pallets, most would need a dump truck.

My yard is near Keller.
            What kind of stone do you sell? We will be building some retaining walls and need to face them with sandstone. We were getting our stone from Santo but the yard shut down.

Comment

if its black dirt, the gravel guy I use recommends the big white rock down first and come back over it with 3/4" or smaller rock.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                What kind of stone do you sell? We will be building some retaining walls and need to face them with sandstone. We were getting our stone from Santo but the yard shut down.
                We sell the sandstone popular for use in retainer walls...among others.

Comment

When you turn fifty it's time to get it checked... oh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    When you turn fifty it's time to get it checked... oh wait...
                    oh good, I have a couple of years

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

My yard is near Keller.
                      Dale I maybe interested if I can find a dump trailer I can borrow.

Comment

Hopefully you don't have any springs in the area, or that it's not a spring that is causing the ground to be so saturated. Where we used to live, there were springs all over the place. You could dump road base in them all the time, it would not take long with rain for the road base to be washed out or sink down in the ground. We had a 1/2 mile long driveway. When we had a lot of rain, there were numerous areas that would stay wet for a long time. It was a case of the water level in the aquifer being high, so there was constantly water being pushed up to the surface. Much of our driveway had springs coming up in it. When it rained a lot, you could see the water coming up through cracks that would form in the road base driveway. When it was dry and then rained, the water would flow down through those cracks to the aquifer and wash a lot of road base and soil down those cracks. But then when the aquifer filled up it would push water back up those cracks that would wash the road base out of the driveway. It was a constant battle.

The same problem existed all over the area, out in the pastures, in the black clay, after a lot of rain, there would be large areas that would stay very wet for months, the mud would get pretty deep. You could not tell there was water being pushed up to the surface out in the pasture, it just looked like shallow ponds all over the place. But in the driveway, where the road base was, you could pretty easily see what was going on.
                        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X