No announcement yet.

How do you pay for your truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last two trucks I bought new were Fords and I got 0% financing. I think I went 6 years on them. That’s a lot of interest free financing

Comment

I only buy a truck every 8 or 12 years. I always have at least the cash in hand before I buy, but my practice is to make a real estate investment with the money and use the proceeds to make payments on the truck plus some left over.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        Early in our marriage when money was tight we adapted a policy to only have one car payment at a time. We have stuck with that for 33 years. My current truck is only 2 years old but last month it was time to get my wife a new ride so we financed hers and paid mine off. It helps that I keep my trucks for 10 years.
        Smart man!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Early in our marriage when money was tight we adapted a policy to only have one car payment at a time. We have stuck with that for 33 years. My current truck is only 2 years old but last month it was time to get my wife a new ride so we financed hers and paid mine off. It helps that I keep my trucks for 10 years.
          We've done exactly the same. However, we are currently 3 years without a payment and have no desire to add one. Her car has 200k on it and is 15 years old, my truck is 8 years old with 170k. We're just going to make "occasional" payments in the form of needed repairs and keep going.

Our approach to buying has been to try to buy used and finance 20k. So, we usually sell (never trade in) a vehicle, add cash to that for a down payment and get near 20k in a note. We don't finance for a longer term than 4 years either.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            This.
            x3

Comment

How do you pay for your truck?

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
              I let my boss do it

Best way to do it. Let him cover the insurance and fuel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                The last two trucks I bought new were Fords and I got 0% financing. I think I went 6 years on them. That’s a lot of interest free financing
                But would the no interest have made up for the difference you paid on the sales price? Most dealers are happy to negotiate. Except when its 0% for x months.

Comment

Originally posted by DS_1974 View Post
                  But would the no interest have made up for the difference you paid on the sales price? Most dealers are happy to negotiate. Except when its 0% for x months.

I negotiated the sell price before you ever discussed how to pay. I got good deals on both vehicles. You don’t have to sacrifice anything to get a good rate.

Comment

I got 0% on the new tundra
                    And 2.9 on wife’s Escalde
                    I pay 250.00 over each month
                    On both...
                    How by hard work and clean living

Comment

I usually use a credit card to pay for a bottle of antifreeze occasionally (truck is 20 years old).

Comment

We are blessed in that my wife and I make good money. That allows us to pay of early...very early. The last three new trucks we bought, we had them paid off before the first oil change(big down payment+trade). But we drive them +-10 years before new ones. I see both sides to financing. My biggest thing is stress. With that title in my hand, I don’t have to worry about next months payment, if something unexpectedly happens. We take this approach through our entire marriage, and we have NEVER argued about money....not once in 16yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I"ll just keep putting the wheels back under my 7.3L every time they fall off. I can't see myself buying another new one.

Comment

I negotiated the sell price before you ever discussed how to pay. I got good deals on both vehicles. You don’t have to sacrifice anything to get a good rate.
                            Up until mid to late Spring 2020, you could buy a 2019 new truck for around $15K off and get zero percent. For a new prior year model you got every incentive offered, dealer discount and also could take the zero percent. It was certainly a buyers market. Not the case now.

Work the purchase price then do the finance route. Dont tell them what you want your payment to be etc. If financing get pre-approved at your bank or credit union. When the dealer starts down that road, tell him unless they can beat your pre-approved APR, you will finance on your own - generally they will beat your APR.

Comment

Here is what I do. I always get a loan and I extend it out as long as I possibly can so I can afford the truck that I really want. I keep my trucks for a relatively long time, my current one is a 2008. If you get the truck you really want then you will keep it a long time so I foresee myself spendinga bunch of money on a stupid expensive truck in the next two years that I really want. Lastly if you think they have gotten expensive in the last ten years think how expensive they are going to be in ten years from now.

Comment

Ya....not sure how thats not part of the negotiations. I guess some folks really think the dealership is trying to help them out!

Comment

Working...
                                X