fuel choice for whole home generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel choice for whole home generator

Like everyone else kicking around the idea of a whole home generator. My question has to do with fuel. Although I don't use natural gas in my house I do have access to it. When I bought my place there was a pipe sticking out of the ground that I am assuming was for a gas meter if I were to run gas to my house. I had the gas company come remove it because I nearly ran over it with my tractor once. So I am sure I could bring gas up to the house but it would require bringing it about 75 yards to the house and then to wherever I would set the generator. Or I could have a propane tank set and run off propane. Which would be more efficient/readily available with no hiccups during times like this freezing weather we are having and the most cost effective to do.

Following along. We don’t have access to natural gas either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Natural gas over propane.

Comment

NG......................

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaganoosh View Post
          Natural gas over propane.
          I don’t think so.
          I’m no expert but it’s my understanding while propane and NG both burn cleaner than gasoline under the same load conditions, according to the guy in the vid below...almost twice the amount of fuel (in cubic feet an hour) is consumed on natural gas versus consumed on propane. Plus there is a 15 percent reduction in the power output of the generator on natural gas verses propane.
          Running a generator versus electric will be expensive though....period. Hopefully it is short term of course.

Comment

I'd said get a duel fuel, and I'd choose my own propane tank over NG.

When lines start to break, the GAS company will shut the source down. Thus, the need to have duel fuel. But with your own propane tank, you're monitoring the supply.

Comment

Propane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I had ours put in the guy told me if I went propane I'd get 5 to 7 days out of 500 gal tank if it was full.. It ran on nat gas for a week during the last storm and cost me 100 bucks.. hell I'd have to tie down a propane tank to keep it from floating off in a hurricane.
                Last edited by jds247; 02-19-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Looking at this now. Dual fuel for sure. Would love the flow of NG with propane as a backup. I’m in town so having a 500 propane tank would be tough, though I have space. Gasoline offers longer run time and more power fwiw, at least on the models I’ve been looking at

Comment

I wouldn't have one that only ran off natural gas. Either duel fuel or diesel.
                    Last edited by softpoint; 02-19-2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Using propane, you are dependent on your supplier having and then being able to get it to you. If roads are bad or he has truck problems, you may not get your LP when needed.
                      Using gasoline, you need to worry about it going bad. The same, not so much with diesel. I would use natural gas.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                        Using propane, you are dependent on your supplier having and then being able to get it to you. If roads are bad or he has truck problems, you may not get your LP when needed.
                        Using gasoline, you need to worry about it going bad. The same, not so much with diesel. I would use natural gas.
                        Can you get a mobile gen that works off of NG? I've got a line plumbed to my back porch. Most I see are gas or duel fuel gas/propane. I like the duel fuel option, but NG would be nice to have as an option.

Comment

NG. Mine just ran solid for two days no issue off natural gas. I’m sure there is a possibility of the supplier shutting off the supply but it would have to be extreme. Especially since they know many homes are heated with it. Dual fuel would be great.

Comment

Mine is a quick disconnect to natural gas. Never runs out (I hope!) And never clogged carbs or bad fuel. You might want to have the connection a ways off so the generator noise doesn't drive you nuts at night.

I believe natural gas would be cheaper to run than propane but you should check.

Comment

Guys, we are talking about a generator. In the event it’s needed, it’s obvious use should be short term hopefully. I will personally try at all cost to avoid having to store a bunch of regular gasoline for long periods of time.

We are having a house built right now and don’t have a NG option. We will have a 500gal propane tank buried. I have a HF 8750 Predator I’ve already converted to dual fuel. IMO NG or propane is the best choice...with a nod given to propane because of benefits (consumption and power advantages) over NG.

Let’s not kid ourselves though. Just like with the electric grid, we are dependent on the suppliers of the other 3 fuel sources (gasoline, NG or LP) in the event alternative power is needed LONG TERM.

Comment

Working...
                              X