Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County
Default Just Stop!

I was on the book of faces and ran across a picture of a young lady with a deer. She was showing off her first buck. As I read the comments it ticked me off. One after another after another telling her she should have let that deer live for 2 or 3 more years and how she is the problem with hunting. It made me sick to my stomach that this is where we are with hunting now. She killed a LEGAL buck and is catching nothing but grief for it. People that have never met her and have no idea where she hunts jumping in on the dog pile. Stop it people! This younger generation obviously has no idea what the hunting tradition should be. It dang sure shouldn't be ridiculing anyone that killed a legal deer. It happens every single day right here on this forum. Someone posts a picture of a deer they are hunting and here comes the dog-pile telling him he NEEDS to let him walk a few more years. It's deer hunting people. Follow the laws, grow up, and mind your own business and it would be much more pleasant.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
I was on the book of faces and ran across a picture of a young lady with a deer. She was showing off her first buck. As I read the comments it ticked me off. One after another after another telling her she should have let that deer live for 2 or 3 more years and how she is the problem with hunting. It made me sick to my stomach that this is where we are with hunting now. She killed a LEGAL buck and is catching nothing but grief for it. People that have never met her and have no idea where she hunts jumping in on the dog pile. Stop it people! This younger generation obviously has no idea what the hunting tradition should be. It dang sure shouldn't be ridiculing anyone that killed a legal deer. It happens every single day right here on this forum. Someone posts a picture of a deer they are hunting and here comes the dog-pile telling him he NEEDS to let him walk a few more years. It's deer hunting people. Follow the laws, grow up, and mind your own business and it would be much more pleasant.

Did you post this on that FB thread?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Ridiculous. Hope you posted this on the book of faces
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Did you post this on that FB thread?
Not in that detail but yes I did.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Yeah... I used to try to argue my position with those people. Not worth the breath. Like Cam Haynes says to his haters on social media "too blessed to be concerned with the thoughts of others."
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart View Post
did you post this on that fb thread?
lol
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

I've had people on this forum tell me what I NEED to do on my place. They didn't know where the place was, the deer density, or anything else about it but they had the management plan to beat all plans for it.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
easeup
Ten Point

even the folks on our deer lease say the same stuff. no one is ever happy
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Just Stop!

Ya it happens here too. My first bowkill i posted here and got told more than once how small she was. Haters gonna hate, im gonna keep shooting deer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
AMEN brother ! I'm on a lease near Good Springs with three others, two of which are long time friends. I've killed one buck there in the four years I have been on the lease. I won't kill a doe because we don't have enough deer for that. I won't kill a buck under 3.5/4.5 either, but I would never presume to tell the other guys what to kill. They pay their money just like I do. Imo, if I don't like what they kill, I need to go on down the road.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
T-roy66
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

This type of reply on the book of faces is exactly why I do not have an account.
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Was it on the kill list or on the no kill list?
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
RockinHB
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Refugio county

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, and the reason I chose to join this forum is just what this post is about. The members here defend people for their choices about harvest and generally only throw out “ he needed another year” in good natured jest. How many of us had our 1st deer be a fully mature cull or trophy? A trophy animal much like a trophy spouse is in the eye of the beholder. Please keep it real and keep the support for our favorite pastime. GOD bless y’all.

Henry
RockinHB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post

AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
fishinguy
Four Point

If it is legal and makes you happy go for it. Everyone has different ambitions no need to push your agenda on someone else.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #16
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinHB View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, and the reason I chose to join this forum is just what this post is about. The members here defend people for their choices about harvest and generally only throw out “ he needed another year” in good natured jest. How many of us had our 1st deer be a fully mature cull or trophy? A trophy animal much like a trophy spouse is in the eye of the beholder. Please keep it real and keep the support for our favorite pastime. GOD bless y’all.

Henry

Welcome in, and yes the "he needed another year" is pretty much just a running joke here.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
rferg84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

There is a bestseller called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson. I highly suggest it to anyone that likes to read.

It sounds like its about being apathetic but that's not the case at all. It teaches us that to be happy we can only GAF so much and that when we waste them on trivial things like what you are talking about it we miss out on the real important things. It's also mentally exhausting to GAF about everything.

So you gotta pick where you GAF.

It's a solid read, little crude but my preacher read it too lol.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #18
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

It's insanity. Some guy just posted a picture of his son with a deer he shot off his back porch before school. 90% of the comments were complimentary, but then some jagoff had to go the, "Dude, that's a young buck. You have got to start letting them mature." route.

No, you don't have to do anything. It obviously depends on where you're hunting and what your goals for the property are. There are certain places where management simply isn't possible and shooting a nice 3-yr-old 8pt is fine.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #19
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Henry
Welcome to TBH....

Rule #1 of TBH- Harvests are for fruits, vegetables and cotton...

We kill, shoot, whack, smack, stack, thwaaack, smoke, thump, zip and let the air out of animals
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:

Man, did you hit this one out of the park.

When I started deer hunting, if someone got a deer you said congrats and moved on.

Today, some special ed people get on the, "you should have let him walk a few more years," bandwagon.

If the hunting community does not learn to come together, we're going to lose this privileged.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #21
ATX Tyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central, TX

Quote:

Agree with everything except it being the "younger generation". I've seen a lot of older folks leading the charge in the "he needed another year" conversation. I don't think it's an age thing as much as a problem with people pushing their own agenda on others. I like shooting bigger, older deer, but I sure as heck won't begrudge someone for shooting a smaller buck if that's what keeps them in the sport and lets them enjoy the outdoors.
ATX Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

No doubt....my dad is getting older and only makes a hunt or 2 a year. He asks me everytime what to shoot and I tell him everytime anything that gets your heart going. I feed more than enough deer every year to shoot what we want as long as its legal.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #23
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Can we drop "BOF" and start calling it what it really is...assfacebook?
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #24
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I will admit I sometimes see pictures of deer that make me cringe (i.e. young) but I always bite my tongue because it's simply not my place to say anything.

Now if it's kid or someone's first deer I will always offer up a congratulations. Someone that just picks at people for the sake of being an ******* doesn't need to call themselves a hunter.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #25
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Quote:
Welcome to TBH....

We kill, shoot, whack, smack, stack, thwaaack, smoke, thump, zip and let the air out of animals
You forgot "SCHLOCK!", got include the Tim Wells fans in thread like this.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #26
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Here's what I tell people when they get high and mighty on the "should have let him walk" topic:

Let's say there are 1,235,112 deer in the state.

If you shoot a buck, regardless of age/score, there are now 1,235,111 deer in the state.

If that deer made you happy, then who cares whether he reached his max potential....there's still one less deer whether you killed a 4 pt or a 14 point.

(Obviously this theory doesn't apply if you agreed to a set of management rules for the place you are hunting).
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #27
RockinHB
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Refugio county

Quote:
Welcome to TBH....

Love it. 👌will do better next time
RockinHB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #28
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
All of that was alive and well right here on TBH up until a few years ago. Gladly it is almost nonexistent these days.
That attitude comes from the whole antler management movement that really took off about 15 years ago. Now everyone thinks their a game manager professional
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Welcome to TBH....

Technically it is possible to harvest a deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #30
rladner
Pope & Young

I shoot deer because I like to eat them, not because I like to put them on my wall. That means I'll shoot whatever I feel like as long as it is legal. I'll feed my family with it and not give a rat's (you know what) if he needed another year. To me, another year might mean he/she doesn't eat as good .
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #31
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Glad I don't hunt with some of yall who shoot anything with horns and walks
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #32
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Glad I don't hunt with some of yall who shoot anything with horns and walks
me too
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #33
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:

I think part of the problem is that once-upon-a-time white tailed deer were scarce in this country. 100 years ago they were hunted to the brink of extinction and up until the 1930s they were almost non-existent. It wasn't until hunting regulations and management programs came into play that their numbers started to recover and even my older family members tell me that back in the 60s and 70s just killing a buck was quite an accomplishment and age never came into consideration.

Now, there are an estimated 3.6 MILLION deer just in Texas alone so people are now afforded the luxury of being "choosier" about the deer taken...and as a consequence have adopted the "let em grow" attitude because...well...we can. This "younger generation" is growing up with a different tradition...and that is the management of a herd that numbers in the millions.

Last edited by JonBoy; 11-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

Aren't we glad it's not called "Texas Mature Bucks" Forum...
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #35
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
Welcome to TBH....

and weve been known to "drill one!"

welcome to the site!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #36
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Each circumstance is different. But there is no way I'd ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer of any size.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #37
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
me too
I see what you did there!
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #38
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Each circumstance is different. But there is no way I'd ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer of any size.

Why would you ridicule an adult?

If he followed lease rules, and the law then there's no issue
Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #39
Possum 1
Four Point

Default Trophy Spouse

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Henry
Welcome RockinHB.
Did you say Trophy Spouse???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGI__K5kCJU
Possum 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #40
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Why would you ridicule an adult?

If he followed lease rules, and the law then there's no issue
Read first sentence.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #41
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

My overall level of happiness increased the day I deleted Facebook

Now if I could just stop reading the news
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #42
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

I seen this on FB and I agree with it.

We're all guilty of it. We see a hunter with mismatched camo with an old single-shot 12-gauge. And he's sporting his deer he just harvested on the back of his old truck. It's a doe or more than likely a smaller buck. But he's happy, and grinning from ear-to-ear like he just killed the new world record! So you laugh and joke with your buddies as he goes by. While leaning against your brand new truck, in your name brand matching camo. But have you ever stopped to think that maybe the deer on the back of his truck means a lot more to him than just big antlers.... maybe he's a third shift blue collar worker at the local steel mill, just trying to pay his bills and keep gas in his old truck. Maybe he don't have the fancy game cameras and big food plots that you have. Or the big fancy hunting blinds, that cost more than his old truck. Maybe he's happy because he finally didn't have to work this weekend. So he decided to go hunting on the little piece of land that he's hunted since he was a boy, with the gun that his dad gave him when he turned 12 years old. More than likely he's not hunting to kill the next World Record. He could care less about the antlers. But what he does care about is putting food on the table for his family at home, and knowing that they're going to eat good for now. And that my friends will put a smile on any true sportsmans face. So good luck to all the hunters out there with the rest of your season. Just remember this, support each other and be happy for each other, no matter how big their harvest is, because to some folks it means a lot more then the size of the antlers.

Original author

Joey Bruce
Owner / President of
SAD DADDY HUNTING BLINDS.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #43
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Good post. I hunt on private property that is too small to really manage & hunting pressure around us usually gets legal bucks killed. Our place is hard to hunt as it is 95% wooded& 1/2 of it is thick creek bottom land that you can’t crawl through. I also don’t get to hunt often as little as 5-10 sits per season. I love deer meat so I’m just as happy to take an ole slick head. I really just enjoy sitting out in the peaceful woods whether I kill anything or not
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #44
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

For a certain contingent, hunting has become nothing more than a cool image that requires you have the fanciest gear and shoot the biggest horns. I'll argue it's a small contingent, but it's also the most vocal and annoying IMO. They'll be the first to tell you one's too young but ridicule a high fence place and they lose their minds. If someone wants to shoot a 1.5 year old deer and it's legal, do it. If someone gets their rocks off shooting a bottle fed 300 class buck, do it. If more people would mind their own business, the world would be a lot better off.

Last edited by FVR JR; 11-09-2018 at 12:22 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #45
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Well maybe if she would have just given it another year like she was supposed to she wouldn’t have caught said grief
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #46
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Hunters are often their own worst enemy.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #47
Passafist
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
And we have a winner!
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #48
Buck-N-Rut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene/Brady

I agree it’s nice to let them mature but in some places you better shoot when you see a decent one or the people on the bordering properties will for sure. And i don’t ever eat the horns.
Buck-N-Rut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #49
Mbbriggs05
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine

Preach On
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #50
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Read first sentence.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I did. Can you give me an example of why an adult should be ridiculed? If you read my post, I also said if he followed lease rules, and it's legal why ridicule anyone regardless of age?