Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Pigpiggy
Four Point

Default Ever found anything hidden in the woods?

Found a marker from the 1960ís that marked the boundary of Army Corps land. Thatís not exactly what youíd think of as hidden, but it was deep in overgrown brush. There was no fence at that location.

Another time came across what turned out to be stolen cars. I did report that to authorities. Iíll have to jog my memory for other finds.
Pigpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

When bought our place there was an old rock built homestead on it. My grandsons got the metal detector out and found all kinds of stuff. Found several small metal toy cars that kids played with, metal plates and flatware, horse shoes, etc.
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I found a couple of USGS markers on top of the Delaware and Apache Mountains in Culberson County on the ranch we used to hunt. I always thought that was pretty cool.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

It seems like my brother was finding stolen cars in the woods every other weekend or so
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
MadHatter
Ten Point

Found a stolen truck on our property, 3 yrs ago. What an ordeal lol. Cops and GW coming in an going out all hrs of the night, an day for about 2 weeks.
Camped at Benbrook, go fishing while girlfriend is wandering around taking pics. She finds a nice bag of weed, crammed into a knot hole, on a big cedar tree.
In Colorado several yrs ago, several miles in, find a grave marker, made out of Aspen. Our Friend Virgil on one side, Our girl Bobby on the other. Horses maybe, dogs, people...no clue. Was in there 2 yrs ago, and it's still standing.
Attached Images

MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

I actually found two graves on our place a grown up hillside a couple weeks ago when I was hunting. Just rock piles with flat rocks on top. No telling how old. I’d never seen them before.

I’ve also found some...gardens...in the woods.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
bullhead44
Ten Point

found about $40 scattered around a large stock tank we owned. It was not in one location, but scattered around the whole thing. I guess we had some uninvited fishermen who had a hole in a pocket.

found some human teeth in a large overhanging cliff when I was a kid. Baylor archeology classes had been doing digs there, and they had left picks and sifters etc. Also found a lot of other artifacts in and around that area. This was around a rock quarry my dad used to run in Crawford. We found lots of artifacts there.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

When we were still running hog dogs we found several grown up cemeteries. Mostly slaves buried there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

Our ranch hand and my brother found a duffel bag of weed. It was about 50 lbs total wrapped in plastic in smaller bricks. When border patrol picked it up they acted like it was no big deal Were about 7 miles past the check point so i have to assume it was a staging spot.
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
Bassdeer
Ten Point

My buddy found a Ruger 10/22 when we were small game hunting when we were kids.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Pigpiggy
Four Point

While scouting a property for trees to put a portable stand in I located a dipping trench or whatever that was used for dipping cattle. There were so many big trees and brush all grown up around it that it might not be visible in spring and summer. It was all very old concrete.

Last edited by Pigpiggy; 11-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Pigpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
brnhtown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county

My cousin and I found a cooler full of old playboys in the woods at my grandfather's one time... He's still denying it to this day lol
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
ostey22
Ten Point

Hunt In: 4 counties in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnhtown View Post
My cousin and I found a cooler full of old playboys in the woods at my grandfather's one time... He's still denying it to this day lol
Haha!
ostey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnhtown View Post
Every boyís dreams come to life^^^

On our old lease in Crockett county, there were a dozen or so old foundations, sidewalks, stair steps, poured and completed. But they were all over grown with full grown mesquite and cedar trees growing up around them and through them. All we could think was the ranch headquarters were at one time going to be built there, and they changed their minds. This was on the Shannon Ranch which is around 100,000 acres, but the ranch headquarters were about 5 miles down the road from us.
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #15
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Couple of meth cook sites in Tennessee. Way off the beaten path.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

found a weed plot one time, on top of a little knoll in some river bottoms. We backed out of there real easy like, was a time where booby-traps were not uncommon around people's 'gardens'.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

My buddies family owned a ranch in Lampasas. They found big concrete X shapes there. He told me they discovered they were WWII aerial practice bombing targets. I think he said they dropped big sacks of flour to practice their aim.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #18
Txhuntr2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I found a half buried car in the woods on a lease in San Saba. Looked like it was from the 30s or 40s and it had been there a long time.

And I'm sure this is pretty common but we found things left behind by illegals such as makeshift backpacks, food wrappers etc in my old Val Verde lease.

I also found a glass weed pipe sitting in the ashes of our fire pit one trip. None of our hunters came to the lease since I was there last and it wasn't mine so someone came into our camp and got high around our fire and dropped it in the fire pit I guess. Never figured it out. Maybe illegals
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #19
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

A phone booth in the middle of the Lampasas river. The phone inside it had been busted open.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

me and TxAg found an old well. We shined a light down to the bottom and about 25 feet down we saw a pig had fallen in there and there was a snake sitting on top of the pig. Craziest thing.

Name:  well.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  95.7 KB
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #21
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

Found a Browning Citori White Lightning 12 gauge in a trash can in the woods at a park in Brownwood. Was stolen from a truck break in at the Section Hand Steak House. Got a life long friend and free place to dove hunt from the owner for turning the gun in.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpiggy View Post
While scouting a property for trees to put a portable stand in I located a dipping trench or whatever that was used for dipping cattle. There were so many big trees and brush all grown up around it that it might not be visible in spring and summer. It was all very old concrete.
We have one of those on our property. Grandfather used to call it a dipping vat
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #23
DTala
Ten Point

found a stolen four wheeler, later nabbed the felon who stole it when he came to get it.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #24
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Found two stills on our place once. Both had already been found by by the Sheriff. One had a couple of tables of Mason jars waiting to be filled.
17ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #25
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Found a bunch of really cool homesteads over the years....and a Union civil war campsite

Found an operating meth lab and the tweakers arrived while I was there....... still laugh about them backing up in high speed and driving off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #26
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

I found a 12 gauge shotgun barrel that marked a boundary of a property. It still stands today as a boundary marker. Also found a copper still of an old moonshine mill. I'm thinking of going back and taking the mill.
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #27
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

While duck hunting in Port Mansfield along the mangroves, I found about 20 decoys hidden .
Even though I could have called finders keepers, I left them hidden for their owner.
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #28
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Stolen F350 and a few weed plots. Small ones.

A couple of Richard Heads poaching. They found jail.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #29
LarryP_1989
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes, Walker cty.

Found an old cemetery on lease we had out towards Leona. My dad and I were doing some scouting, walking through a thick section of trees and brush and found ourselves standing amongst about 20 headstones that dates back to the Late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Quite a few were children that were only 3-5 years old judging by the dates.
LarryP_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #30
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I have found graves all over Mills county as a kid, but no longer allowed on those places.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #31
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Stolen 18 wheeler on a lease.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #32
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Found a broken fishing rod with a nice Shimano spinning reel on it. Had to laugh.
Also ran across an old moonshine shack I had heard was on a creek and it had some old lanterns and such in it.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #33
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

Me and another fella found a meth lab on some land we used to hunt. They had broken into the cabin, had a fire burning in the outdoor fire pit. Left a 22 magnum on the front porch. Turns out they had gone to town to buy the cooking supplies. Unfortunately for them, the cops arrived just after they returned and the poor souls were immediately arrested. We had confiscated the rifle and turned it over to the police. I kept one of the bullets out of the gun for a souvenir.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #34
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Once when I was a kid we took a family vacation to Wisconsin with another family. We were staying in a lakeside cabin, and mybrother and I were kicking around in the woods and uncovered about 100 pill bottles filled with every color pill you could imagine. Our parents took them and never really told us what kind of pills they were, but just flushed them all down the toilet.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #35
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
me and TxAg found an old well. We shined a light down to the bottom and about 25 feet down we saw a pig had fallen in there and there was a snake sitting on top of the pig. Craziest thing.

Attachment 932632

A little girl in a nightgown didnít crawl out of there and kill you? I wouldíve run at first sight.

txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #36
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
A little girl in a nightgown didnít crawl out of there and kill you? I wouldíve run at first sight.

That's exactly what we were thinking when we saw it.

We've had many talks around the campfire about "would you spend in the night in the well for _________?"
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #37
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

A few years back we were trailing a pig through some thick brush on a friend's property and came across something that looked man-made. After clearing the leaves we found what looks like a grinding table - a "matate" - cut into a chunk of sandstone. It is about 10"x14" and 6" deep. We have talked about going back and doing some artifact digging but have not gotten around to it.

Name:  rock.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  321.0 KB
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #38
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Hidden tents/camps in wooded urban areas
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #39
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

There's some cool stuff in here. I don't think I have ever found anything cool like this.

I do have a knack for finding and collecting old Schlitz cans and bottles while hunting.
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #40
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
A few years back we were trailing a pig through some thick brush on a friend's property and came across something that looked man-made. After clearing the leaves we found what looks like a grinding table - a "matate" - cut into a chunk of sandstone. It is about 10"x14" and 6" deep. We have talked about going back and doing some artifact digging but have not gotten around to it.

Attachment 932743
that's awesome!! You have to go search nearby and tell us what you find!
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #41
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:

Attachment 932743
Thatís very interesting. Hope you find time to go back.

I had oodles of opportunity to dig some potential artifact sites but was working seven days a week on the same properties. The door closed for that unfortunately before I could. Had planned on at least digging what appeared to be an Indian campsite along a creek. Didnít have a mechanized sifter. Due to lack of time and tools, was going to use a front end loader and a manual, wooden sifter.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #42
Cookiemonster1
Six Point

Hunt In: lampasas,brady

Hunted with a friend in Sandersonryden area. We climbed on top of a big hill. On top of the hill there was a large rock and on top of the rock there was a large copper looking medallion hammered into it. Looked like a large version of the back end of a shotgun shell. On the medallion it read "Mexico Territory" It was very cool!
Cookiemonster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #43
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Not exactly hidden, but there is a gentleman supposedly buried up where we camped to elk hunt in Unit 751 in CO. It is right on the border of Unit 76 and 751 in the Weminuche Wilderness just north of Snowslide Canyon and south of the Rio Grande Reservoir. It is out in the open on the side of a mountain and marked with a wooden cross. Here-say is he died of a heart attack at that spot and was buried there.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #44
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:

Attachment 932743
This right here is pretty awesome! You gotta go back!
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #45
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Found an old abandoned meth sight on some property I had permission to hunt in East Texas. It had been abandoned for several months or longer but still had a tent standing and canned food and supplies all around.

I put my cousin up in a climber along a skidder road before dark and when the sun came up he could see the top of the tent. He was a little shook until I got there and we went to investigate.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #46
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Drove into the bottoms at Lake Lavon to do some night fishing. Back in the 70's you could drive onto corp land. Anyway, that one night I drove smack dab into a Klan meeting.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #47
Worksalot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Drove into the bottoms at Lake Lavon to do some night fishing. Back in the 70's you could drive onto corp land. Anyway, that one night I drove smack dab into a Klan meeting.
Oh man. That would be a bit unnerving and unforgettable.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #48
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
All I can think of is O Brother Where Art Thou
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #49
Worksalot
Ten Point

Several years ago I was out walking my dogs one evening quite a ways from home. There was undeveloped farm land in the middle of a business park as well as surrounding it. At that time farm crops were still being grown there. On the east side there’s a paved section about a half mile long. Due to the tall corn crop growing, I couldn’t see the crowd of people standing on the far south end of that straightaway until I stepped to the south edge of the corn field. I kept low just to observe and listen to what was going on. It was all African American folks and they were placing cash bets on amateur corvette drag races right on that location. Heard more than one driver mention a check engine light had come on from racing each other hard. That was the only time I ever saw that same group of people out there.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #50
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
Oh man. That would be a bit unnerving and unforgettable.
I had 2 things going for me. Color and one of them that came up to my truck was my barber. Hearing the lions and tigers roaring down there was more unnerving though. That would raise the hair on your neck.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top