Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
afishinman14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards, DeWitt County
Default Stands on Public Lands?

Never really hunted public land except for turkey hunting. And donít worry, not planning on it any time soon...

But I follow these threads because I have tremendous respect for those who get it done on public land.

However, one question has always stuck in my head:

Do most people really abide by the rule of stands only being allowed to remain for 72 hours?
Do yíall really install and uninstall a tree stand every hunting trip you take? I know some people hike miles back in there to get to their secret spot, and that seems like a lot of work to be done for every hunting trip you take during a season. Hauling a stand mile(s) each way and putting it up only to take it down in 3 days. And doing that multiple times per season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
afishinman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishinman14 View Post
Never really hunted public land except for turkey hunting. And donít worry, not planning on it any time soon...

But I follow these threads because I have tremendous respect for those who get it done on public land.

Do most people really abide by the rule of stands only being allowed to remain for 72 hours?
Do yíall really install and uninstall a tree stand every hunting trip you take? I know some people hike miles back in there to get to their secret spot, and that seems like a lot of work to be done for every hunting trip you take during a season. Hauling a stand mile(s) each way and putting it up only to take it down in 3 days. And doing that multiple times per season?

I also would like to know this and am planning trips this next year bc lease's are expensive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
bowfishtank401 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
D u s t y
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any were i can

Most of the time yes, we haul the stand in each morning and take it with us each evening. One reason you see guys buying the ultra light stands and game carts. Stand corn bow everything else typically is 75lbs or more each trip
D u s t y is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:

Multiple times per season? How about 4 times in a weekend hunt! And yes pretty much every time. What doesn't kill you....Makes you tuff!
NF HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

I set mine up two days out and hunt the third day. I use a cheap one that way if it gets stolen then. I big deal
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

Every morning I hauled the stand in strapped to my back. Walked several miles. By evening hauled it all back out. And I didnít have any lightweight anything. All was made of steel. What I couldnít carry on my back was in my hands & arms.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

I hunt out of a climber, I haul it in and out every hunt. Climber, bow, small bag of accessories and water.

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 AM   #8
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
I hunt out of a climber, I haul it in and out every hunt. Climber, bow, small bag of accessories and water.

What accessories do u pak in and out?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #9
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfishtank401 View Post
What accessories do u pak in and out?

Grunt tube, 2 releases, knife, pen, range finder, binos strapped to my chest, 1-2 bottles of water, snacks if I plan to sit all day. Anything I feel I might need for the day, but I keep it as light as possible. Itís not fun carrying a heavy bag on top of your climber.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Grunt tube, 2 releases, knife, pen, range finder, binos strapped to my chest, 1-2 bottles of water, snacks if I plan to sit all day. Anything I feel I might need for the day, but I keep it as light as possible. Itís not fun carrying a heavy bag on top of your climber.

I do alot of long hikes I understand how a small pack can feel like a ton of brick in a 3 mile hike ,my pack is just a 10 dollar camo bag from wallmart and it has a came back conpartment and I have a pair of good binocular with chest strap but I would need a grunt tube and range finder

Old 10-25-2018, 12:41 AM   #11
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
I do alot of long hikes I understand how a small pack can feel like a ton of brick in a 3 mile hike ,my pack is just a 10 dollar camo bag from wallmart and it has a came back conpartment and I have a pair of good binocular with chest strap but I would need a grunt tube and range finder

Thatís all you need is one those small bags. I usually tie my climber together and hang the bag over the biters of my climber then hold my bow as I walk in. I recommend also figuring out a way to fasten your harness in a way that isnít all over the place as you walk in. I take my lanyard and kinda tie it up before I leave the truck so that itís not swinging everywhere. First few times out will be somewhat frustrating but once you get use to throwing up a stand itís kind of fun seeing how quickly you can get up a tree. I think Iíve got mine down to about 9 minutes from taking off my climber to being set up in the tree

Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 AM   #12
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Thatís all you need is one those small bags. I usually tie my climber together and hang the bag over the biters of my climber then hold my bow as I walk in. I recommend also figuring out a way to fasten your harness in a way that isnít all over the place as you walk in. I take my lanyard and kinda tie it up before I leave the truck so that itís not swinging everywhere. First few times out will be somewhat frustrating but once you get use to throwing up a stand itís kind of fun seeing how quickly you can get up a tree. I think Iíve got mine down to about 9 minutes from taking off my climber to being set up in the tree

Wow that's impressive
But I having trouble aforable
range finder

Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Wow that's impressive
But I having trouble aforable
range finder

Tape measure. Measure off trees around the one you plan to set up in. I have several friends that do this

Old 10-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #14
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Tape measure. Measure off trees around the one you plan to set up in. I have several friends that do this

Yea not a bad idea I'll use it definitely but I would love to get a range finder tho I had a buddy bet me I wouldn't pick a bunch of blood and hair into a pile on the ground from after we cleaned a hog needless to say I didn't do it and isn't get a range finder

Old 10-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #15
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Never really hunted public land except for turkey hunting. And don’t worry, not planning on it any time soon...

Do y’all really install and uninstall a tree stand every hunting trip you take? I know some people hike miles back in there to get to their secret spot, and that seems like a lot of work to be done for every hunting trip you take during a season. Hauling a stand mile(s) each way and putting it up only to take it down in 3 days. And doing that multiple times per season?

I hear 72 hour, 48 hour rule etc. Not every PHL has this rule, in fact most don't be sure to read the individual rules. If I find a stand thats been there and is breaking the rules I send in the GPS coords in to the controlling authority, and they recommend you do this, and they do remove it.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 04:49 AM   #16
roostar14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shnf, NE tx van zandt

Just depends in the set i plan on hunting. A lot of times i lll pack in day before i hunt and back out. I hunt on top of bedding a lot so i try to be super quiet and in and out. Ill hunt a spot once maybe twice but normally pack out and plan my next hunt pretty quick. Ill be setting my stand tonight to hunt the a.m. i did go with a very expensive light weight climber and lock ons. I like my muddy lock on woth lone wolf climbing sticks when im in a area with trees i cant use my climber or not many straight trees. Sometimes its easier to pack my lock on too.
roostar14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #17
chris1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion

check out the public land guys on midwest whitetail.....they have a video on getting their stand up quick and they carry loc ons and sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEFhK0fimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAKGekgX6dI

Last edited by chris1911; 10-25-2018 at 07:40 AM.
chris1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #18
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

I used to leave stands up and hunt them over and over again and have had some success but I've gotten more into the idea of being mobile and always hunting different spots, based on fresh sign. I also think the specific tree you hunt is very important and because wind direction and other factors can change from day to day, I always want to be able to move where I think I have the best odds of killing something. So, I use a lone wolf and 3 sticks each hunt. If I hunt an afternoon and plan to hunt there the next morning because conditions are the same, I would probably leave everything in the tree. As an aside, it's kind of an adventure and good workout.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #19
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

I lived in Missouri for 4 years and hunted a ton of public land. I always tried to get as far back as possible and always had my climber on my back wherever I went. Never left anywhere.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Yea not a bad idea I'll use it definitely but I would love to get a range finder tho I had a buddy bet me I wouldn't pick a bunch of blood and hair into a pile on the ground from after we cleaned a hog needless to say I didn't do it and isn't get a range finder

Iíve got a spare that Iíll let go cheap($50 shipped to your door) if youíre interested.

quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #21
Ruttin&Struttin
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

I hike the stand in, hang it and hunt it. Hike it back out when I leave. Repeat. These light aluminum stands and steps are awesome. I strap it all to my pack and go.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #22
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Iíve seen people haul in ladder lock on stands for just evening sits. I reckon if you can get into an area without boogering it up and throw up a lock on you could hunt it for 72hours. My personal opinion - donít limit yourself to one spot on NF and WMAís. Be mobile. Doesnít take much to push deer across a creek or ridge at times.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
afishinman14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards, DeWitt County

My respect just went up even more for you public land guys. WOW! Just adds to the true reward after working so hard to bag a public land deer.

afishinman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #24
Sabineshooter
Four Point

Hunt In: East tx

Iíve been hauling a lone wolf climber on my back for several years. My spots are usually over a mile in and Iíve lost trail cameras back there. If theyíll take a camera theyíll dang sure take a $300 stand. The ONLY way I leave a stand is in the evening and I know Iíll be back to hunt first thing in the AM.
Sabineshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #25
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
Iíve got a spare that Iíll let go cheap($50 shipped to your door) if youíre interested.

Oh I definitely am! Brand name?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
duckmanep
Ten Point

Many people do not follow the rules. I find stands all the time that have been there all season, some for multiple years.

I haul mine in on a game cart usually on a Friday hunt. Chain it to the tree overnight, and haul it out after a Saturday evening hunt.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #27
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Most of my public land hunting over the years has been out of a climber. I had a pretty good system down and would be carrying close to 50-60lbs. worth of gear on my back including my bow. I would carry it in 1-3 miles to my spot. I have now recently switched to be more mobile and be able to hunt more areas. I now carry a hawk tree stand and have 6 climbing sticks. I don't typically take all 6 sticks, but I can if needed. Packing light, being comfortable, and staying mobile is key on public land. I carry out my stand and sticks after every sit unless I'm coming back the following day.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Redbone
Four Point

Hunt In: TX & MO

I used to use a climber which I packed in and out everyday. I still do just not as much. I moved to millennium lock-ons with the receiver. Once I get my set up dialed in I leave the receiver in the tree and pack my stand and steps out every weekend. The next trip out I can have my lock on hung ready to hunt in less than 10 minutes. During archery season I'll have around 5 receivers set up for spots to hunt depending on wind. I use the same method when I hunt out of state. Anything you leave out there for an extended period of time you risk it coming up missing. I once came out for lunch and came back to my stand being missing.
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #29
Blitz
Four Point

I think alot of it has to do with where the stand is. Did you flag it? Are you making a trail for others to follow? We used a gamecart last time out to bring my stand in. I chained it to a tree. When we came in the next day, my partner didn't even see it and we walked right past it. It's hard to find stuff out there. I know. I've lost track of my stuff and I knew where it was. The farther back you are, the safer.

If I am hunting morning and evening hunts back to back to back, I'll leave the stand on the tree. It may be light, but not as light as me walking in without it. If I'm that concerned, I can padlock it to the tree. I doubt another hunter who happens to be looking for a spot is carrying bolt cutters.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #30
q2xlman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lease in Frio county and anywhere I can!

Yes sir. Take a climbing stand in and out every time. I have used a bicycle to ride in if there is a trail or road way that is gated or blocked. If you shoot one, then you have the bike to drape it over and push it out. However, most of the time, I am not miles off of a main road.
q2xlman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #31
nonamehoff
Four Point

I use a popup blind and have a Mystery Ranch pop-up pack. Everything I have can be strapped to my back (bow, chair, blind, pack) and I will walk in. If it is legal to pedal in, I will load everything on my bike and pedal to my spots.
nonamehoff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #32
TxSpinner
Eight Point

I went on a public hunt this morning and used a climber. I carried it in and I hated every second of it
Old 10-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #33
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
Many people do not follow the rules. I find stands all the time that have been there all season, some for multiple years.

I haul mine in on a game cart usually on a Friday hunt. Chain it to the tree overnight, and haul it out after a Saturday evening hunt.

Thereís an old box blind in the middle of the Davy Crockett someone set up and left out there years ago. Thought it was pretty funny when I first saw it.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Most that i know keep theirs out there for the season.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #35
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Iíve been wondering how much people like lock on stands as opposed to climbers - anyone have experience with both? Which had more foot room? Iím a big guy with sz15 feet and I still get pretty leery drawing my bow and aiming under 20 yards from 25í up

Old 10-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #36
bigmike585
Ten Point

Yeah, I've hunted places the rule is your not allowed to leave the stand up at all. However, If I plan on being in the stand the next morning, I'll take my chances and leave it up overnight. I've had great success on public but it can be very frustrating to haul it in and set up each time. Extra time, extra weight, lots more sweating, lots more noise, etc. I believe that's why on many occasions my best hunt at a spot is the first time I set it. I'll also expend some extra energy to go in early and set up if conditions are conducive, to make for a potentially more successful hunt. For instance, the day before I plan on hunting (and my schedule allowing), if there is high wind or rain, I'll ease in during those times midday and place my set and sneak out. That way its less intrusive the following morning. It's a PIA but makes it more rewarding I suppose. Especially when all I grew up hunting was private land, and able to tweak my setups to near perfection.
bigmike585 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #37
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Not all public lands are the same. How long a stand is left out depends on the type of public lands, where, and who manages it. There are 4 basic types in Texas, for the most part. But actually more land than that by other Gov entities also. And even if one entity allows for the "day of the hunt only" stand placement, the same entity may allow for a season on another property pending it's rules for that property. That is why it's always best to check at the beginning of each season to see if there have been any changes from the previous year.

I've hunted public lands most of my adult life (30+ years) cause I could not afford a lease.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #38
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas grown View Post
not all public lands are the same. How long a stand is left out depends on the type of public lands, where, and who manages it. There are 4 basic types in texas, for the most part. But actually more land than that by other gov entities also. And even if one entity allows for the "day of the hunt only" stand placement, the same entity may allow for a season on another property pending it's rules for that property. That is why it's always best to check at the beginning of each season to see if there have been any changes from the previous year.

i've hunted public lands most of my adult life (30+ years) cause i could not afford a lease.
tg- 30?
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #39
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
tg- 30?

30+. In other words, more than 30 years on public lands.

Edit: Think this will make my 34th or 35th year on public lands, if I get to get out. But have hunted a lot longer than that. Just didn't have to pay for the private lands I've hunted (and some I lived on) before that.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #40
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:

I donít hunt public, but intend to at some point just to change up the scenery.

However, I do have a mobile set-up (lone wolf assault 2 and 4 lone wolf climbing sticks) that I just picked up and plan to start being more mobile around the farm and another property I hunt.

Just for grins, I decided to practice in the backyard this past weekend and my first time up was 13 minutes. Never came back to the ground once I went up and was ready to hunt in that amount of time. Take down time was quicker. All in the stand and sticks are 21lbs plus a fanny pack with less than 10lbs worth of gear. Iím confident I could go a long ways with that set up and go up and down as often as Iíd like, up any tree Iíd like without any issues.

Iíve had a climber for quite a while, but tired of being limited to tree selection.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #41
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Iíve been wondering how much people like lock on stands as opposed to climbers - anyone have experience with both? Which had more foot room? Iím a big guy with sz15 feet and I still get pretty leery drawing my bow and aiming under 20 yards from 25í up
Highway, I've hunted with both loc- on's and climbers and my personal favorite is a Summit climber. That's pretty much what I use now all the time. I hunt the Sam and there are a lot of climbable trees there.
NF HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #42
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF HUNTER View Post
Highway, I've hunted with both loc- on's and climbers and my personal favorite is a Summit climber. That's pretty much what I use now all the time. I hunt the Sam and there are a lot of climbable trees there.

Iím using a summit climber right now in the DCNF. Itís nice to throw on the tree and go up but the platform is fairly small and the bar around the side makes it feel too compact for me. I hunt around a lot of oak trees and can climb most of them, but it is annoying seeing a branch with a 2Ē diameter and having to pick another tree lol

Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #43
TxSpinner
Eight Point

I prefer the lock on. The I feel clumsy in a climber.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #44
Blitz
Four Point

My Summit Viper SD has tons of room. Especially when I stand up and slide the seat against the tree. The rail around the top section to me is a good thing. It gives me something to lean back against. Feeling secure 15-20 feet up is a nice feeling to have.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #45
bowfishtank401
Nubbin' Buck

https://youtu.be/MoGPKDJZDjc
If your a white tail deer archer then this is the most inportant video to watch

Old 10-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #46
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D u s t y View Post
Most of the time yes, we haul the stand in each morning and take it with us each evening. One reason you see guys buying the ultra light stands and game carts. Stand corn bow everything else typically is 75lbs or more each trip
Corn on public lands???
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #47
jnd1959
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
Corn on public lands???
The rules for corn vary widely on public land. Some allow feaders, some hand corn, some nothing.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #48
Blitz
Four Point

If its a WMA, you can't bait at all.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #49
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
The rules for corn vary widely on public land. Some allow feaders, some hand corn, some nothing.
Interesting... Iíve only seen one or two drawn hunts in Texas that allow baiting. The vast majority do not allow baiting of any kind. Not sure about other states though.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #50
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If its a WMA, you can't bait at all.
That is incorrect. Some WMA's allow baiting now. Gus Engeling WMA allows baiting during their deer hunts.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top