Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #51
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

1. BS Geology (Certified Petroleum Geologist)
2. Definitely use my degree in my field
3. You cannot put a price on education. For what it's worth it made all the difference in my life. I am so thankful for that priceless gift. Even if I did have to pay for it.

Doesn't work for everyone but it changed my life very much for the good. Don't know where I would be without being college educated.

Last edited by quarterback; 05-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #52
Raleigh
Ten Point

A: BA
B: I don't use it but it was required when I started
C: no debt as I work my way they school.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #53
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

I'm about to finish my associates in business (2 more courses to take to finish). Can't decide if I want to keep going or just stop and go get a job.

Something to add, a friend always says that your degree gets you your first job, but your first job gets you every job after that.

Last edited by KyleW; 05-03-2018 at 06:49 PM.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #54
Cullstuff
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos

BBA minor in Finance
Yes use at work

No debt, worked through school and locked in a tuition rate young.

For me age 18-23 was the last time in my life I had nothing to worry about and had minimal responsibility. Made life long friends etc. The college days were a blast, and I have the rest of my life to work.

My university helped me prepare for a job as well. Helped edit my resume, did mock interviews, scheduled interviews with a couple companies, introduced to companies on career days. Some of my professors posted job opportunities in their classes my senior year. Practically guaranteed a job out of school even with low GPA.

I would go again ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Cullstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #55
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

No college for me, I have done exceedingly well. I was a machinist that could weld.
Now VP of a large mining service company.

Most of my welders make between $80,000 to $120,000 a year.
There is a lot to be said for going to a trade school
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #56
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

A. MS, Biology
B. YES. Been teaching high school biology, and will start teaching Microbiology full time at a local junior college in the fall.
C. Completely worth it. Took out student loans for BS and have since repaid those. Paid for MS each semester. No debt.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can't stress the value of education enough to my students. They can take away your house, your kids, your money. But they CANNOT take away your education.

Last edited by BJ DUPLECHAIN; 05-03-2018 at 07:09 PM.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #57
Buckley99
Ten Point

A. BS in Psychology (TCU) and MBA (SMU)
B. I use both degrees everyday
C. It was worth every penny, not because of the education but because of the relationships.

College is not for everyone and it is up to employers to start reinforcing that. If employers make degrees a qualifier for employment, kids will still feel like they NEED a degree. My prediction is that you will start seeing specialized white-collar trade schools that focus on things like sales, accounting, HR, customer service, etc. If/when that happens, I think employers will jump all over the idea of hiring a kid with two years of intensive/focused education.
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #58
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

]

A- Ph.D.

B- Yes, sort of.

C- I had a little debt when I finished my Ph.D., but I was able to pay it off in less than three years. Yes, it was worth it. A Ph.D. isnít necessarily required to do what I do, but it doesnít hurt my chances of building my business in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #59
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
No college for me, I have done exceedingly well. I was a machinist that could weld.

What this TBH'er said, the trades will be making the most money in the not to distant future. None of the Tide Pod, condom snorting kids want to sweat or get their hands dirty. If I was coming out of HS, TRADES is where I would go!

I have a college degree (teaching certificate with a Health & PE degree with a minor in Biology), used it for 3 years, got out of the teaching field and did other things that did not require a degree and finally came back around and got my elementary certification and Special Ed certification and am a SEBSS teacher for the last 3 years in Lubbock and did this at the ripe old age of 62!

Research and see what is going to be the high paying jobs in the close future. TRADES IS IT!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #60
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

You will learn when they get to the age to goto college. You can either support them or not. Other than that they are going to make up their mind to go or not. Really does not matter what your opinion is. And they have options besides you for finances. Anyone can go rack up $200k in student loans and plenty out there dumb enough to do it. Iíll support mine in any higher education that they choose
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #61
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Bachelors
Yes
No student debt but I married into plenty!

Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #62
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I have a backwoods in PR and Journalism. I use things I learned daily at work, mainly writing. My students loans are almost all paid off because I took a break after my sophomore year to work and save money so I could stop taking loans. My parents didn’t have the money to pay for me to go.

I would go get my MBA but $100k is a lot of money for something that may or may not actually benefit me. I’m in outside sales and have been since I graduated so it’s not like someone in engineering or finance where advanced degrees make a big difference

Was it worth it? Absolutely, got me in the door places that I wouldn’t have been without one.

We just had our first kid and have started saving for her college if she chooses to go, if she doesn’t then I’m getting a boat when she’s 19
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #63
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota7493 View Post
Bachelors
Yes
No student debt but I married into plenty!

Haha!
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #64
Easttxbowman
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^

This is the third time my comment was taken out of context. I later clarified that my comment was ONLY intended for my career choice.. I should had definitely added that in my original post though.. my bad.

IF you want to wager that in my career field you can get a job doing what I do without a degree or a bunch of experience.. Pm me and I’ll send you a list of companies that you can apply for, I’ll bet you don’t get a look.

Last edited by Easttxbowman; 05-03-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #65
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I don't have a degree, and I don't really care about that...what I wish I had was more basic accounting and business classes.

I'm going to urge my son to take all of the relevant business classes he can at a community college while working for two years, then decide if a degree from a big school is what he wants moving forward. A lot can happen in 12 years.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #66
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 34 New Mexico

BS of Pharmacy Did that for 20 years but walked away from it last May to start flipping houses. I get more satisfaction now then I ever did working as a pharmacist. Just paid a plumber 7700 for a 8 hours on Tuesday, so no you dont need a degree to be successful.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #67
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

It can’t hurt.
I couldn’t wait to get out of high school and do not regret my decision to not go to college one bit. I chose a trade school.
I have buddies that went to college that make more than I do, and I have buddies that went that make less. Hard work and dedication goes a long way.

With that said, I will be paying for my daughters to go.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #68
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I have a associates degree in science and coming to a end of a 34 year career in heavy electrical construction. Did OK. College was part of my apprenticeship. I was blue collar destined.
My youngest son went the full college route and was very smart from the get go. Was always in advanced classes and was a academy of finance student in his high school. One of 25 of 1500 students. He was scouted by a large accounting firm while in high school and use it like a farm system. They have been in touch with him, following him, the last 4 years, courting him. He gets his 4 year degree in a few weeks and is doing a graduate year on top. The accounting firm signed him(morals clause and all) and will be waiting for him when he finishes his graduate year. Sounds great right?
He is...we are, 80K in debt already from student loans. When it is all said and done, 100K. They( Sallie Mae) kill these kids with crazy interest rates like 8.75 and 8 and 7.75 on student loans. I am paying his loans and all expenses now, but when he gets out. Welcome to the big world. Daddy has Axis to buy and blackbuck for his ranch. If he went to law school it could be worse, so I ain't crying that loud.
College is worth it if you put hard work into it and utilize what you are taught.
Knowledge is power. I am glad my boys did not choose my profession. It is a hard job. I would rather they work with their minds then their hands. They know how to fix stuff and get dirty all the time. But I would much rather have them have the better less back breaking life and go to school.
I wish that for you also.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #69
ThePumaLives
Four Point

A. Bachelor’s in International Relations; Master’s in Geography.
B. I use it everyday, I’m a political consultant.
C. Absolutely 100%! Both of my degrees were paid for with my Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, but even if I would have graduated with debt I could have paid it off within a few years.

My wife has her Bachelor’s as well (Accounting, yuck!) and uses it everyday at her work. She also graduated with no debt because she worked her way through school, but her income would have also allowed us to pay off hers as well.

I’ll reiterate what others have said already, know what you want to do with your degree before you get it. If you want to work in advertising (my wife’s industry), a degree in marketing, accounting, or business is the way to go. A degree in women’s studies won’t get you very far in that field. Likewise, my degree wouldn’t me very far if I tried to get into plumbing. Even if someone chooses trade school, I’d still recommend taking accounting and business classes; they’ll help set you up for success if you ever want to go into business yourself.

P.S. The money is in coding, both now and in the future
ThePumaLives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #70
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

A. B.S.
B. No, not anymore.
C. Absolutely! Plus the kind of people that don't have a degree...ughhh j/k. Its hard to say if I would have gotten where I am without the degree but I kinda don't think so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #71
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

I have a Masters.
It's really up to each individual to get educated the way they will learn and earn the most from.
The school of hard knocks without any degree is a proven winner for many.
A 2 year certificate degree is becoming very popular and results in high salaries earlier in a persons career without putting themselves in debt.
A 4 year degree is certainly proven to be worth the time it takes and debt it piles up.
A masters degree allows you to obtain jobs that you couldn't without it. I got mine because I knew I wanted to coach at the College level.
A PHD is for those who strive to really never stop learning.
If you want to get a degree then get a degree that fits your education passion.
Like others have said. Not everyones a college student.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #72
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
BS of Pharmacy Did that for 20 years but walked away from it last May to start flipping houses. I get more satisfaction now then I ever did working as a pharmacist. Just paid a plumber 7700 for a 8 hours on Tuesday, so no you dont need a degree to be successful.

Would you have been able to flip houses now if you hadnít been a pharmacist for 20 years?
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #73
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

A: what is your highest level of education?

BBA Management Information Systems, Lamar University
MS Telecommunications Management, Oklahoma State University

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

Yes

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

BBA No debt, lived with my mom and worked my way through. Worth it? Yes.
MS No debt, Used the GI Bill while working. Worth it? Yes.

Is all of this needed to be successful? Absolutely not!

Last edited by Darton; 05-03-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #74
Monark
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler County, Woodville

A: BSME 1983 (Was it easy? No)
B: Yes. Everyday
C: Yes

Last edited by Monark; 05-03-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Monark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #75
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Sorry, should have clarified fishcst.... These days you will not get hired in my career field without a degree or a ton of experience.

You absolutely do not need to have a college degree to be successful in lots of field however.
No problem! I completely understand that there a ton of careers that it's a must to have a college education and rightly so. Luckily we live in Texas and have a ton of high paying jobs that do not require a high education requirement. I'm in the oil and gas industry with no college education. I am dating a girl that is 2 weeks away from graduating dental school. She put in 8 long grinding years of college to get where she is at and could not be more proud of her. Luckily she had scholarships to cover her undergrad completely. Dental school is a different story so we have a pretty penny to payback in financial aid, but it's all worth it in the end.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #76
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^
I thought it was just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

I hear this A LOT from people of all trades.

I don't have a degree. I went to college and drank beer. Wasted my own money

My desk is within 5 feet of a guy with a master's and the other a ba. They make roughly 2k more a year than I do.

I don't necessarily think college makes you more trainable or clay or whatever. Ethics and integrity does that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #77
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

BS - computer science
yes
yes- no debt as I worked my way through school- but that was 40 years ago...can't do that today.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #78
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
Iíve been thinking a lot lately about the state of our educational system, and quite frankly, it makes me sad and a little angry. I wanted to get the green screens opinion on whether or not you guys feel that college is worth it, in todayís society. Now I recognize that there are doctors and lawyers among us, and your education was certainly necessary and worth it. But I see an increasing number of people being successful without college education, and I truly believe that when the time comes Iím not going to push college on my children. FYI, we have four kids under the age of seven, so we have a while. But assuming There arenít big changes to the educational system, I really donít feel that Iím going to make my kids go to college if they want to pursue trades or other opportunities. If you havenít, do some research on the rising cost of a college education. Itís eye-opening to say the least. All this said, I have a few questions for you guys.

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

Mine

A- associates in instrumentation/electric

B- nope! In a sales role with the same company for 8 years now.

C- no debt, but put myself through college. It would be nice to have some of that money back.

A. Bachelors in finance

B. No. Iím in banking and a degree is practically a requirement for anything below entry level.

C. Never had student debt.

I though college was a waste. I learned some stuff in general but nothing related to my field. I found most of college useless and expensive.

Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #79
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

BS = commission as a 2LT in Army, MA = promotions to LTC & COL. 30 yrs active duty, now retired and enjoying every minute.

So--in a nutshell, yes in my case.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #80
FeetDown
Four Point

One theme I am seeing in this thread is that a lot of folks think a degree is not very useful if you do not use it in your current profession. It may have opened some doors, but no longer has any real value.

I would tend to disagree, at least as it pertains to my path. I am currently an attorney, but studied engineering in college and even worked as an engineer for several years at a major defense contractor before transitioning into law. One thing I can say is that my engineering studies TAUGHT ME HOW TO THINK.

In particular, it taught me how to take a very complex problem and break it down into manageable pieces. It taught me how to understand relationships - that is, identify the factors affecting a given issue and what impact they have.

Turns out this was incredible training for law school and now the practice of law. I actually do still use my engineering degree directly because I am a patent attorney (need to understand how a given technology works), but I also use it indirectly every time I untangle a complex legal issue.

Just my 2c. Don't write off your degree without considering the non-tangible skills (e.g., critical thinking skills) that you may have developed while getting it.
FeetDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #81
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

M. Masters
B. No but wouldn't be doing what I do without it.
C. No debt, athletic scholarship undergrad, paid as I went for masters. College was definitely for me, I was great at it...academics not so much
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #82
ByronB
Ten Point

It is extremely expensive. Both of my kids have to have degrees to do what they want to do. What chaps my butt is the struggle my son has particularly gone through with Foreign Teachers at Texas A&M. No offense but......Two in particular....one from Iran and one from China. The kids cannot even understand what the Professors are saying. One of the classes had around 300 students in it. All the kids are looking around at one another. A&M will gladly take your money but they cannot even hire Professors that can communicate with the student body properly. I hate that I pay for that but it may not be better elsewhere either. Otherwise, I am happy to pay for my Childrenís education. I do beleive that most jobs can be taught and do not or should not require spending $120,000 to attain a piece of paper. I have been in Sales all of my adult life. Mainly in Medical Sales.....there was not one class in College that actually taught me how to sell or how to treat a customer. I learned that on my own. My Parents were greatful enough to pay for my College Degree as well. The best thing I can do to pay my Parents back is to be a great Dad, Husband, and a successful sales person.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #83
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

BBA in International Business and minored in Economics
No. But I had to have a degree to even be interviewed for first job and all jobs after.
Yes time in college was worth it. Did graduate with student loans and yes I would do it again.

Left corp america 3 years ago. Started my own business in construction and what I learned in corp america has paid dividends in growing my business.

I am from the east side of Houston and only had one person from my high school at my college. Most of my buddies went into the petro chem world and have done great for themselves. I do remember duck hunting with a few of them my senior year of college and they all had new trucks, shot guns, boats etc.... I was broke as a joke and very envious at the time.

I am not sure if college is for everybody but depending on what kind of lifestyle you want later in life will dictate what you do.
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #84
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Depends on the field your going in.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #85
BowhunterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
^
This. If you are going into Finance or Accounting (and several other fields I am sure) you have to have a Bachelor's, and today a Master's and professional certifications, to get anywhere. I have 20 years of experience and have pretty much hit the ceiling because most jobs I would want to apply for are requiring a Master's and CPA (or other certifications). I work with and do the same work as CPA's that work beside me, but don't have the same opportunities because I don't have my certification. Doesn't really make sense but them are the rules these days. This is true at least at larger companies.
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #86
44mAG
Ten Point

Default IYO, Is college worth it !?

BS in Electrical Engineering

Use it every day as an EE and couldnít have my job without it obviously

My wife got an associates to become and RN, got a bachelors to get an increase in pay, then got a masters to become a FNP which over doubled her salary so definitely worth it for her also.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #87
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
True. A degree, even if I had wanted it and could have afforded it would not have helped me at all in my line of work. Everyone is not suited for the jobs that require college degrees. Someone still has to hammer nails, dig ditches, operate equipment, pour concrete, and fix the plumbing. Most of them make a good living doing it too.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #88
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

Quote:
Iíve been thinking a lot lately about the state of our educational system, and quite frankly, it makes me sad and a little angry. I wanted to get the green screens opinion on whether or not you guys feel that college is worth it, in todayís society. Now I recognize that there are doctors and lawyers among us, and your education was certainly necessary and worth it. But I see an increasing number of people being successful without college education, and I truly believe that when the time comes Iím not going to push college on my children. FYI, we have four kids under the age of seven, so we have a while. But assuming There arenít big changes to the educational system, I really donít feel that Iím going to make my kids go to college if they want to pursue trades or other opportunities. If you havenít, do some research on the rising cost of a college education. Itís eye-opening to say the least. All this said, I have a few questions for you guys.

Mine
C- no debt, but put myself through college. It would be nice to have some of that money back.
A. High school diploma, some college through military training and skill sets equivalent to trade schools.

B. N/A (Trade school if they aren't going college for a specific career path)

C. High level of income and no debt. Still have a G.I. Bill to use if I'm so inclined later.

Caveat to C. I make more than any of my friends with degrees and will likely be retired before they are finished paying off their loans. (Except a few who went ROTC)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #89
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

My take on this subject...if you donít have any common sense then you need all the book smart help you can get. Otherwise, youíre not going to make it very far up the ladder in life.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #90
WRasco
Four Point

Hunt In: Online - Buy more gear than I Hunt...

Quote:
If Iím paying for it Iíll definitely make that decision for them.
That right there is funny in so many ways.
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #91
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

I did not go to college and have been welding for 22 years. I got my first welding job 3 days after I graduated high school. I have averaged $80,000 to $110,000 a yr for the last several years. I knew college wasnt for me. My oldest is a freshman at Sam Houston State right now. He wants to be an ag teacher. I support him 100%. If he wouldnt have wanted to go to college than I would would have supported him in that as well. You can make good money without a college education but really need a trade to do so.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #92
snappertapper
Ten Point

I didn't finish school, (had about 30 hours left for a wildlife management degree).

I'm currently in a management position at what is most easily defined as an oil service company.

I've been one of 3 people to get promoted while our company has let go of roughly 70% of it's workforce over the last three years.

I do believe I'm the exception, and I can't imagine what I could've done with the right degree from the right school.
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #93
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

bachelors
no
debt, would have joined military instead,

the wife,
masters
no
no debt, military paid a big chunck

my sons both in military, going to school, took the time to make sure they didnt get a degree in something they would use it in, no debt alot further ahead of all the school mates,
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #94
Draco
Pope & Young

Got drafted right out of high school so didn't even have time to sign up for college. I learned a lot at South East Asia U. though. I retired from on occupation at 50 and still piddling at the second. A kid that worked a couple summers for me in my welding business went on to trade school for welding. He then went to an even better trade school for another year. He makes around $200,000 a year now. He just got back from Germany where his company sent him to make 2 welds on some kind of metal I've never heard of.

One of my best friends that didn't even get out of high school was making over a hundred thousand in the early nineties shoeing horses so I'm on the "it isn't needed".
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #95
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Is college worth it?
Yes. I like smart poon.

Correction...I love it.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-04-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: LoveSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 02:21 AM   #96
CaprockRoamer
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can get permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Attack View Post
I have a bachelors degree. I do not use it in my field of work, although it contributed immensely to what I do. I paid off almost $50k in student loan debt in less than 3 years. I did go to a big Texas school (A&M). I'm happy to share my thoughts on the subject. Here goes....

College is 100% a necessity for young people (specifically). I won't sit here and tell you that the knowledge you gain from classes will make you successful. Truth is, it really won't. What college does is it allows you to be trainable. It turns you into soft clay. It is an experience in which the knowledge you gain is more of how you can be a benefit to society. You grow, mature, and learn about the world in a way that your parents can never teach you. You learn it on your own. Independence, problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, etc. All of the things you experience teach you about yourself and how you survive in this world as an individual. There is debt, there are mistakes made and lessons learned. But it is a rite of passage in it's own regard.

Rant over. Hope this helps.

Currently enrolled in college at Texas Tech. I personally feel that college has turned into one of the largest financial institutions out there. I pay thousands to listen to a professor rant a rave about off topic points only to be sent home with the curriculum in order to learn it all myself. On top of that, I'm penalized when I don't show up to listen to their ranting and raving, but yet they're not teaching my anything.

As far as being 100 percent a necessity for our youth, I have to disagree. I struggle with this daily due to an autistic child living at home. He's an awesome kid and very intelligent, but I don't believe college is going to be the right choice for him. (Thank the Lord I still have a decade to work this out.)

I understand your point about how it "molds" us, but I have to admit, my military service did that much more adequately than college will ever be able to do.

Is it a right of passage? For the elitists out there, whose most significant hurdle in life will be completing college, I believe so, but not everyone. Please understand, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but do not believe it is realistic to paint this picture in one broad stroke.

I don't believe college is an absolute necessity, but honestly believe it opens doors that would otherwise be closed. I feel that college definitely gives your future employers the sense that you have the ability to stick through with something you started. If it wasn't required for the career I hope to pursue, I would utilize my time in some other fashion.

Last edited by CaprockRoamer; 05-04-2018 at 02:28 AM.
CaprockRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 04:37 AM   #97
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRasco View Post
That right there is funny in so many ways.
Yeah, you get the gist.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #98
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Really? Iíll make a large wager against that. And I know for a fact Iíd win it lol.

Depending on your career choice it can certainly help. In my career it would not help. I do have 2.5 years of college.
I think he was just answering the OP's questions. He isn't saying a degree is required for everyone, just the field he is in.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #99
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:

Mine
It depends on the end career goal. Many career paths you have to have the bachelor degree just to open the door.

Kid 1. He enters college this fall studying Chem. Engineering. It will be well worth it.

I wish I had gone the engineering route when I was in college.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #100
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

BS Ag Economics, Minor Business Admin.

I would say no not directly, but I do use skills acquired in college.

No debt, blessed to have it paid for by my parents and some scholarship money. I think it was worth it, it has opened doors both due to just having the degree and because of the Aggie Network. I am not one to bury my head in the sand and say it is for everyone or required to make a good living, but in my experience it was worth it.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top