Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public
Default IYO, Is college worth it !?

Iíve been thinking a lot lately about the state of our educational system, and quite frankly, it makes me sad and a little angry. I wanted to get the green screens opinion on whether or not you guys feel that college is worth it, in todayís society. Now I recognize that there are doctors and lawyers among us, and your education was certainly necessary and worth it. But I see an increasing number of people being successful without college education, and I truly believe that when the time comes Iím not going to push college on my children. FYI, we have four kids under the age of seven, so we have a while. But assuming There arenít big changes to the educational system, I really donít feel that Iím going to make my kids go to college if they want to pursue trades or other opportunities. If you havenít, do some research on the rising cost of a college education. Itís eye-opening to say the least. All this said, I have a few questions for you guys.

A: what is your highest level of education?

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

Mine
A- associates in instrumentation/electric
B- nope! In a sales role with the same company for 8 years now.
C- no debt, but put myself through college. It would be nice to have some of that money back.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

2 bachelors
Yes
Worth every penny and will be retiring soon.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaleziam View Post
2 bachelors
Yes
Worth every penny and will be retiring soon.
Congrats!
I do recognize there are professions where this will be the general consensus.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

AAS in electronics engineering and it was worth it for me. But I only spent about $8K for mine. It has paid off many times over.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

If they go into the correct field, definitely yes. Art history degree, no.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
If they go into the correct field, definitely yes. Art history degree, no.
Very true. Ha.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
Easttxbowman
Eight Point

Bachelors and you absolutely will not get hired or move up without one
Everyday
I have a little debt but I’ve only been out for a year. Don’t have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
alwaysinshorts
Ten Point

I would say yes. I mean no disrepect with this so please don't think that. If you live in a small city then a college education may not mean that much. if you plan on staying on the farm, ranch, etc. then i wouldn't pay for that education. However if you live in a metropolitan area and plan on having a job that isn't limited to time then the answer is yes.

Let me explain what i mean by limited by time. Almost anyone can find an hourly job, depending upon your skill level or Education you can earn more money per hour. But generally unless you have are education or a very unique skill or trade you can only earn up to a certain amount of money per hour. I don't know the exact numbers but welder, mechanics, etc. make between 15 to 70 dollars per hour. But they are generally limited to time. 70 dollars an hour is great but if you only work 30 hours per week it isn't as good as it sounds. or you can make 40 dollars per hour but get to work as much over time you want then you can make a lot of money, but you are actually working two jobs.

What an education gives you is the ability to make more money that isn't limited by time. I know many people that make 300k plus per year and some months they work harder than other months. But they still make the same amount of money regardless.

You then say that i can make that without an education, and that is totally true. My aunt that makes 600k plus per year doesn't have an education out side of high school but she worked her butt off as a business owner. So it can be done. But if you plan on working for a large company most will not hire you without a degree. I know it sucks but that's the truth.

As for sales, i have been in sales for 25 years and unless is it a lower end for of sales you will not get hired without a degree. I don't mean to knock certain sales but there are different degrees of sales people. Again if the company is a large company they probably will not hire you unless you have a degree.

I think as a parent we need to push our kids to get a degree. But getting one doesn't mean that they will make more money, what it does is gives them the bases to have logical thinking versus emotional thinking.
alwaysinshorts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

College is worth it, but not for the masses. The notion that everyone should go to college needs to stop. College is quickly reaching a tipping point where it’s cost is rising exponentially higher than wage increases.

Having said that you can do yourself a huge favor and not finance EVERY book, laptop, iPad and spring break with student loans.

Some college
No debt
20% higher income than my bachelor degree & licensed wife
30% higher earning than the average American

I admit I may be the exception not the rule
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Everyday
I have a little debt but Iíve only been out for a year. Donít have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
Lol
Fishcat91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Webb County

Bachelors and Masters in business here. Don't use em one bit. However, this topic seems to come up a lot I always tell people that if the desired profession requires the degree then, of course, it helps. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. you'll need it. A marketing degree is about at useful as a left-handed basket weaving degree IMOP and that's what my undergrad is in. I think the trade schools are awesome if the person has some entrepreneurial spirit and likes electrical, plumbing, welding, etc. as I have multiple friends in all of those trades and the ones that manage their business correctly do quite well. All in all, I do think some type of continuing education does pay off as long as it's thought out and used as opposed to getting the easiest degree just to say you have one.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #12
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

I have an assosiate's degree in applied science...
I don't use it in my current employment...
Debt was minimal and I would do it again if I had the opportunity. I would just study something different...

IMHO college is not for everyone and is certainly not necessary to be successful. Obviously, there are careers that can not be achieved/performed without a degree. I don't have kids but if I did, I certainly would not force them to go to a college/university... Some peeps are driving the "you need a college degree" narrative to line their pockets.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
Rush2Judge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood County

A: BSEE
B: Yes, everyday
C: Yes
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

I have a degree in civil engineering. I was lucky enough through savings (stock show money, parents saving, etc) and summer work to not have any debt when I graduated. I don't necessarily use what I learned every day but my degree is/was a prerequisite for getting my job, license, etc.

With all of that said, I think college is worth it IF you go to college with a job/career in mind. That would include a lot of things like engineering, dr, lawyer, finance (banker), etc. I do agree with oktx that an arts degree is not worth the money. I have 2 kids (10 & 13) and college is an expectation but I also talk to them about trades and want them to work summer jobs in high school with a plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc. If they want to go into 1 of those trades i won't stop them but would want them to consider some supplementary education that would help with starting their own business, etc.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
I would say yes. I mean no disrepect with this so please don't think that. If you live in a small city then a college education may not mean that much. if you plan on staying on the farm, ranch, etc. then i wouldn't pay for that education. However if you live in a metropolitan area and plan on having a job that isn't limited to time then the answer is yes.

Let me explain what i mean by limited by time. Almost anyone can find an hourly job, depending upon your skill level or Education you can earn more money per hour. But generally unless you have are education or a very unique skill or trade you can only earn up to a certain amount of money per hour. I don't know the exact numbers but welder, mechanics, etc. make between 15 to 70 dollars per hour. But they are generally limited to time. 70 dollars an hour is great but if you only work 30 hours per week it isn't as good as it sounds. or you can make 40 dollars per hour but get to work as much over time you want then you can make a lot of money, but you are actually working two jobs.

What an education gives you is the ability to make more money that isn't limited by time. I know many people that make 300k plus per year and some months they work harder than other months. But they still make the same amount of money regardless.

You then say that i can make that without an education, and that is totally true. My aunt that makes 600k plus per year doesn't have an education out side of high school but she worked her butt off as a business owner. So it can be done. But if you plan on working for a large company most will not hire you without a degree. I know it sucks but that's the truth.

As for sales, i have been in sales for 25 years and unless is it a lower end for of sales you will not get hired without a degree. I don't mean to knock certain sales but there are different degrees of sales people. Again if the company is a large company they probably will not hire you unless you have a degree.

I think as a parent we need to push our kids to get a degree. But getting one doesn't mean that they will make more money, what it does is gives them the bases to have logical thinking versus emotional thinking.

I do agree with most of what you said. While some large companies may require degrees, I work for a large company and worked my way up from the bottom. More and more though it seems people are reluctant to do this. It seems as though nowadays everyone wants to hire in at the top. However, I do see where a college education in Regards to the sales world could be advantageous, or even an absolute necessity, If the plan is to hire Into an upper level sales job straight out of college.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
College is worth it, but not for the masses. The notion that everyone should go to college needs to stop. College is quickly reaching a tipping point where itís cost is rising exponentially higher than wage increases.

Having said that you can do yourself a huge favor and not finance EVERY book, laptop, iPad and spring break with student loans.

Some college
No debt
20% higher income than my bachelor degree & licensed wife
30% higher earning than the average American

I admit I may be the exception not the rule

And here it is. Your first paragraph sums up the exact point of this post.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #17
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

I have a bachelors degree. I do not use it in my field of work, although it contributed immensely to what I do. I paid off almost $50k in student loan debt in less than 3 years. I did go to a big Texas school (A&M). I'm happy to share my thoughts on the subject. Here goes....

College is 100% a necessity for young people (specifically). I won't sit here and tell you that the knowledge you gain from classes will make you successful. Truth is, it really won't. What college does is it allows you to be trainable. It turns you into soft clay. It is an experience in which the knowledge you gain is more of how you can be a benefit to society. You grow, mature, and learn about the world in a way that your parents can never teach you. You learn it on your own. Independence, problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, etc. All of the things you experience teach you about yourself and how you survive in this world as an individual. There is debt, there are mistakes made and lessons learned. But it is a rite of passage in it's own regard.

Rant over. Hope this helps.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #18
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
Bachelors and Masters in business here. Don't use em one bit. However, this topic seems to come up a lot I always tell people that if the desired profession requires the degree then, of course, it helps. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. you'll need it. A marketing degree is about at useful as a left-handed basket weaving degree IMOP and that's what my undergrad is in. I think the trade schools are awesome if the person has some entrepreneurial spirit and likes electrical, plumbing, welding, etc. as I have multiple friends in all of those trades and the ones that manage their business correctly do quite well. All in all, I do think some type of continuing education does pay off as long as it's thought out and used as opposed to getting the easiest degree just to say you have one.
I have a marketing degree, don't know why I went for it. But it has helped me get my jobs, but do not use it one bit. If I did it over I would have went a different route. Just glad I made it through, all of my closest friends dropped out. Almost thought about going to get a different degree that I would use. But just paid off my student loans and do not want to get anymore.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

Other than the experience, College is basically paying for specialized knowledge which you could get on you own for free from any library or the Internet.
College is a great business model. Very profitable
1st person in my family to graduate High School
No college only a HSD.
Business owner.
Last real job I had my salary was over 300k a year.
I would hire someone with real world experience over anyone coming out of college.
I have seen both out in the field and the experience always wins out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #20
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Thanks for the responses guys.

Let me add this - I firmly believe that there has been an intentional dumbing down of America through the educational system. At the same time also feel like the increase in education being three times the amount of inflation in the same timeframe is making college completely unaffordable for a lot of families. Coincidence? that’s a good question.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #21
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I have a Bachelors, and half a Masters. It was worth it for me, as I didn't graduate with any debt, thanks to side jobs and help from my folks. My job for 39 years required a degree, so I that made it worth it as well. I know that today things are different. Lots of folks graduate with tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and then can't find a job. Maybe they didn't pick the right major. Maybe they don't like the jobs that are available. Either way, I'd say it takes a lot of soul searching & prayer to do what is best for the person.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunting39 View Post
Other than the experience, College is basically paying for specialized knowledge which you could get on you own for free from any library or the Internet.
College is a great business model. Very profitable
1st person in my family to graduate High School
No college only a HSD.
Business owner.
Last real job I had my salary was over 300k a year.
I would hire someone with real world experience over anyone coming out of college.
I have seen both out in the field and the experience always wins out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your last couple of sentences here also make a very valid point. I live around the petrochemical mecca of the United States. I will say this, there used to be priority placed on college education in the petrochemical industry. This, over last few years, has begun to swing the other direction, And now the hiring priority seems to be placed on experience. Of course Iím speaking to operations, instrumentation, etc.. and not chemists, engineers etc...
Old 05-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

College can be helpful, but common sense, hard work ethic and willingness to learn work as well. Many start at the bottom and work their way up. I don't look for a degree when hiring. A LOT of kids coming out of school have no clue on what's going on. Work hard, be punctual and absorb every thing and you will move up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #24
Easttxbowman
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Lol

Sorry, should have clarified fishcst.... These days you will not get hired in my career field without a degree or a ton of experience.

You absolutely do not need to have a college degree to be successful in lots of field however.
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #25
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

It all really depends on what career path you chose to follow.

-I wanted to be a veterinarian, so had to go to veterinary school and obtain my DVM
-Use the degree everyday
-Yes the time was worth it

That being said, you have to really outweigh the cost of loans vs what your income will be. I'm one of the lucky ones and finished school with almost no student loans. Friends of mine graduated with 200k up to 400k and we don't get paid nearly what medical doctors do so they will be paying debt for a long time. If you can do what you want to do in life without going to school or live in debt, go for it, but sometimes you have to just bite the bullet.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #26
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Degree yes- however you don't make the decision on whether your kids go to school or not. You can decide to support them on whatever you wish. I have one that is not going and another that is. I would imagine one will make more money than the other probably doing less work
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #27
BigCohiba
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

Bachelors in Business - Marketing.
Use it? Not really but it opened doors that would have otherwise been closed. Once you get your foot in the door, your performance, work ethic, attitude, and results are all that matter.
Zero debt. Fortunate to have some help from parents & also worked full time all the way with company picking up the tab for my tuition.

My kids are both in college now - and will graduate with zero debt. We started saving the day they were born. They both went to junior college while living at home and are going to U of H for junior / senior years while doing the same.

We never forced college on them. They have seen first hand what it can and can not do for someone. College is just a check in a box. What you do in life and how successful you are depends mostly on how hard you work and your attitude. My feeling was it couldn’t hurt - and once you have that degree nobody can ever take it away from you.
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #28
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

Job title: Account Manager
Industry: Healthcare
Company size: 255,000 employees
Market: Dallas/Ft. Worth

A. - Associate's Degree - Applied Sciences in accounting
Vocational certification - Registered Pharmacy Technician
B. - Do currently use classes taken to obtain degree (Mainly excel spreadsheets), although not employed in a field directly related to obtained degree. Even an associates does help to meet minimum requirements some employers impose for similar positions.
C. - No debt due to: community college low tuition, grants, and parental donations. Time spent in college definitely worth it! Opens more doors that would have otherwise been closed.

I think a degree does not hold the same value as it once did. Specialized degrees (M.D, J.D., or PharmD) as required by state or federal laws will ALWAYS have an excellent outlook and return on investment. Other fields, it will not carry the same value.

Success in today's workforce depends on: experience, adapability, talent, and coachability. A degree on the wall at home does not necessarily correlate to having these values.

I will not be pushing my children to obtain a degree, but would encourage it if grants, or scholarships would cover majoirty of the expense.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #29
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Bachelors in Psychology/Sociology and a Masters degree in Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling

I work with people who have been injured on the job, or experienced some type of personal injury. I evaluate the claimant's future vocational status based on their disability, education, transferrable skills and vocational testing results. I have testified as an expert witness for both the plaintiff and defense. For the injured worker with limited to no education or computer skills, they're in serious trouble trying to re-enter the competitive labor market.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
gmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt County

College is like any other investment. If it is put in the right place it can pay dividends. If you take out a loan for a liberal arts degree..... probably a bad investment.

I have a BS and an MS. At this point I don’t use much of what I studied in school. But my degrees were the stepping stone that got me where I am now. Several class mates chose not to use their degrees and imeadiately went into other fields out of college other than what they studied. In my opinion they didn’t give the investment they made in their education a chance to pay off. As such it turned out to be a bad investment for them. Mine has paid off multiple times over.
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

A: what is your highest level of education?

Bachelors in Business - Operations Management

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

I did -- I moved in to a sales role and find that having a good grip on the operations side of things helps immensely

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

In short - yes. Can't really put a price on the time(fun) spent(had) in college - and as much as I hate saying stuff like this, I got that degree for myself, not anyone else. I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I see that degree hanging on my wall.
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #32
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Degree yes- however you don't make the decision on whether your kids go to school or not. You can decide to support them on whatever you wish. I have one that is not going and another that is. I would imagine one will make more money than the other probably doing less work
If Iím paying for it Iíll definitely make that decision for them.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #33
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

a. BBA, JD, LL.M
b. Don't practice law anymore, but use the training regularly in business
c. Blessed to have college paid by my parents. I work with my dad and I don't think he believes money was wasted, even though I'm not practicing law.

I'm with Mike Rowe on believing that not everyone needs college or a 'college-required' job. Lots of jobs need done without extra education and there is honor in any job that is well done - the honor/respect doesn't come with the degree or salary.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #34
brnhtown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county

I was hired on at a big energy company here in Texas as a meter reader in 09. I was 19 then and have been promoted 5 times since and my current role is pipeline foreman. When I started, I only had a hs diploma and have moved my way up by hard work and dependability. Here recently, I took advantage of the tuition reimbursement program my company offers and enrolled in college. I know college is not a necessity as I make pretty good money and only started college for a personal goal and because the company I work for is paying for it. It might open other doors in the future but who knows. Most people I work with have no degree and make good money, just depends on how bad you want it.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
If Iím paying for it Iíll definitely make that decision for them.
Yea but if they really want to go, not really up to you as they can go into debt all on their own.

Last edited by BigRed323; 05-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #36
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCohiba View Post
Bachelors in Business - Marketing.
Use it? Not really but it opened doors that would have otherwise been closed. Once you get your foot in the door, your performance, work ethic, attitude, and results are all that matter.
Zero debt. Fortunate to have some help from parents & also worked full time all the way with company picking up the tab for my tuition.

My kids are both in college now - and will graduate with zero debt. We started saving the day they were born. They both went to junior college while living at home and are going to U of H for junior / senior years while doing the same.

We never forced college on them. They have seen first hand what it can and can not do for someone. College is just a check in a box. What you do in life and how successful you are depends mostly on how hard you work and your attitude. My feeling was it couldnít hurt - and once you have that degree nobody can ever take it away from you.

Can't say it much better than above! Degree yes but not used in my current profession.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #37
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Just my observations and experiences.

Me (53 years old)
A: what is your highest level of education? Graduated high school (82) and then a year of Air Force training (83) and then retired in 2004. Currently work for a major telecom co. Everything I have now is because of what I received in the military. Add- hard work, and no debt.

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field? I do have over 60 hours of CCAF credits, but no degree. However, I look at it as a 21 year degree.

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ? Considering what type of student I was back in high school, college would have been a failure, military I had to make it work, and I did!

Wife (51)

A: She has an associates, helped, but she was smart anyway. She has a much better approach to learning that I do. She is a Real Estate agent.

B: Not really, she was pretty good with administrative stuff.

C: For her probably not.

Daughter (24)

A: She received an associates/Respiratory Therapist license via TCC, and a Bachelor via MidWestern State.

B: She does every day.

C: She has no college debt. We helped her with it and she paid her part and worked hard. She is a team lead at Harris in Fort Worth and owns a house in West Fort Worth, and she is available. She worked her way through as a server at Babes in Burleson- that is a restaurant, not a tango-bravo.

Son

A: Clay has a BS in Chemistry from UT (yuk). He is finishing up his first year of the UT DR of Pharmacy program.

B: He will and has been using it as a lead Pharm Tech at a CVS in Austin. Clay is one that you would think could cure cancer, and he might.

C: He and we are paying a lot of it, but he will have some debt. Fortunately he is like mom and sis and can make Lincoln scream while squeezing that penny.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #38
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everyday
I have a little debt but I’ve only been out for a year. Don’t have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
Really? I’ll make a large wager against that. And I know for a fact I’d win it lol.

Depending on your career choice it can certainly help. In my career it would not help. I do have 2.5 years of college.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #39
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

All completely depends on the individual For one person yes, another one, no. I know a lot of successful people with no degree at all. I also know a lot of successful people with more than one. Any person can make good money with or without one, just depends on what that individual wants.

Last edited by TheHammer; 05-03-2018 at 06:09 PM.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #40
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Quote:
Everyday
I have a little debt but Iíve only been out for a year. Donít have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #41
BuckRage
Ten Point

in general NO. Certain professions require degrees and thats fine and dandy. In the past college degree was a huge help. Now a days its just another long term loan to load kids with. Some especially those who enter into professions requiring it but overwhelmingly I feel it hurts more people than it helps. I'm in the process of putting my eldest in college now. He wants to be a lawyer and maybe in the political field (we need more good conservatives). We've had some tough talks recently. College has turned out to be a way of "putting off adulthood" for most. Its a sad deal really which is a surprising turn of events.
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #42
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

When I was in college it was not nearly as expensive as it it now. Anymore you need to do a business plan based on your course of study to determine if itís worth the investment. Lots of plumbers and electricians that have their own business make more than many people with degrees and enjoy a different level of job flexibility.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #43
BuckRage
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^
agree
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #44
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I have civil engineering bachelors. Besides the basics I can't really say I use much of what I learned in college. The biggest things are work ethic and experience. These apply for any job. My particular job is very specialized, takes a ton of patience, requires a lot of hours, and required me to learn on the job just like many trades. My generation has gotten it in their head that any degree equals instant wealth and have to learn the hard way that even the most prestigious degree means nothing if you don't work. Would I do it over again, yes, but I feel like I'd be happy and make enough money not having gone to college either.

Last edited by FVR JR; 05-03-2018 at 06:19 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #45
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

a. BA in Business Management
b. Retired now, but did use my degree in my profession
c. I didn't have any debt when I graduated as I went to school under the GI bill and had a wife that worked. At the time I retired, I was making just over twice what the average American worker was making.

I believe college is worthwhile, but is not for everyone. My degree opened the door for me to get my job, but a good work ethic and willingness to take on challenges got me to where I wound up.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #46
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

That can’t be a yes or no. It just depends on the path

Medical, law, engineering, some sales, and some business would be worth it (I’m sure there’s more). Other paths it would be completely worthless and a trade school or just experience would put you well ahead of others your age. Having a degree or taking a path that requires one doesn’t automatically mean more money though

A: Some college not enough to mean anything
B: I could have had the same job if I finished my engineering degree but would have had other options. Quite a few engineers do what I do and they don’t make anymore for their degrees
C: Even if I had finished and took loans out for it all it would have been worth and been able to be paid off quick but as is I came out way ahead by making money while working my way to where I am.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #47
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Yes; bachelors in chemical engineering. Absolutely worth it. Will retire at 60
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #48
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

A. BBA- Business and Accounting
B. 100%, couldn’t be where I am today without it
C. Absolutely

At the end of this month I plan to apply for my Executive MBA so that I will be ready for management positions. I’m 30 y/o making the salary I set a goal for by 30 and without my degree I wouldn’t be where I am. That being said, I started working in my industry when I was 19 so I have 11 years of experience now in banking and I’m young.

My father put himself through LSU with a bachelor’s and master’s in Chemical Engineering and his MD. He was a big proponent of education as am I.

I was fortunate to have mine paid by him and I expect to do the same.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #49
harv418
Four Point

A: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
B: I use it some each day, but more of my Industrial Engineering classes get used.
C: WORTH EVERY PENNY. I spent 12 yrs with the primary contractor of the Space Shuttle Program. That paid off my Student loans. Since Leaving that world, My salary has grown considerably, and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity than that in front of me.

IF I had gone and got my MBA early in my career, I could easily be making double what I do now.

YES it is worth it, even if the 1st 10-12 yrs out of college have a monthly payment attached to it.
harv418 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #50
wes122984
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Every job/position I've had required a degree.

I don't have one.
wes122984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top