Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #151
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings77 View Post
RShockley - that is about it. I depend on google earth a lot.

Honestly the public hunting land out there is fenced pretty well so that you are not hunting private land, don't cut corners and you are fine. Make sure and hike in a mile or two to get away from all the road hunters.

Don't shoot a mule doe.

I really like the archery season, you can go for any white tail, gobbler turkey, and mule buck. Very few people hunt archery season out there, probably because it is so difficult.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions.
Thanks! I did get OnX recently so that will be helpful. Now I need to just get out there and puts boots on the ground. Might try and figure out a 3 day trip to come hike and check it out during the week towards the end of this month or early next month. Would a tent be better to bring when hiking a few miles back or it there enough trees to use a hammock? Also need to hurry up and decide on a new boot for this season so I can get them broken in prior to coming out there.
RShockley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #152
Darkarcher159
Six Point

Hunt In: NW Milam County

RShockley, there are going to be way more places to pitch a tent than hang a hammock. You can find places for a hammock but for your first time I would think tent or just a ground pad. No fires either...cold camp.
Darkarcher159 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #153
RShockley
Eight Point

I’m planning on making a trip up the 23rd-27th of this month to check this place out. If anyone is interested your more then welcome to join. I’ve never been out here before so I’m just looking to learn as much as possible about the place. Bought some new binoculars to glass with as well. Still somewhat unsure what I’ll be doing for drinking water. I have a filter I plan to take but have been told the river is salty. Will filters work out here? If so is the lake, river, or creeks my best option for filtering. Really looking forward to checking this place out.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #154
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

The river has the color of chocolate milk. I imagine with sediment loads that high any water filter would clog quickly.
TWarren is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #155
agwrestler
Eight Point

Hunt In: LBJ, Grapevine and Lake Meredith Nat. Rec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Iím planning on making a trip up the 23rd-27th of this month to check this place out. If anyone is interested your more then welcome to join. Iíve never been out here before so Iím just looking to learn as much as possible about the place. Bought some new binoculars to glass with as well. Still somewhat unsure what Iíll be doing for drinking water. I have a filter I plan to take but have been told the river is salty. Will filters work out here? If so is the lake, river, or creeks my best option for filtering. Really looking forward to checking this place out.
Are you intending to hike in/out each day or camp 5 miles in? I've only done the former carrying all the water I'd use for the day with some spare/emergency ration.
agwrestler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #156
chastings77
Four Point

Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar

RShockley - what about getting a cheap hotel in Fritch or Amarillo and doing day hikes? I work with a lady that AirBnb's a few of her properties here in Amarillo that you could stay.

Camping out there this time of year is not my kind of fun.

Honestly you can get a lot done in a day and still have the flexibility to recon a different part of the lake the next day.
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #157
RShockley
Eight Point

Right now I plan on hiking out to Evans canyon late afternoon when I get out there and camping that night near the rim. That way it will be easy to just wake up and after a short walk be able to glass at first light. I will just carry my water for that time period with me with some extra then hike back to the truck that night. I will have my filter with me as a just in case. It has a mesh cover over the actual filer that can be removed and cleaned to remove sediment if needed. So the I will replenish water and camp that night some then checkout other area the remaining days. Haven’t been able to find anything but are shotguns with rifled slug barrels allowed in the archey and shotgun only areas or is smooth bore required.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #158
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Hunt In: wherever I can afford

My understanding of archery and shotgun area only is bird hunters with shotguns. They're close to inhabited buildings and homes, boat ramps etc.
Dude Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #159
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Briggs View Post
My understanding of archery and shotgun area only is bird hunters with shotguns. They're close to inhabited buildings and homes, boat ramps etc.
Thatís what I was thinking. Iím going to stop by the office while Iím out there to make sure though.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #160
agwrestler
Eight Point

I've archery hunted a few of those areas on the holidays and it's usually packed. Thanksgiving 2016 we saw 15+ bird hunters in 4 groups.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #161
chastings77
Four Point

When you guys hike to Evans canyon from the north to you normally cut across Martin's canyon or do you try and go around the edges?

I have cut across Martin's canyon once and regretted it because it was so thick and wondered what route you were taking? I normally get to Evan's from Plum Creek, tend to see more action that route and the wind tends to be better.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #162
agwrestler
Eight Point

One time I made the mistake of taking a shortcut across a side canyon at Martins. That was brutal making the trip down and back up out. The bottom was a massive logjam like a bunch of tiddlywinks. That also helped me realize if I shot something down in the canyon it would take a couple trips. You don't have to be Cameron Hanes, but it helps if you're in good shape.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #163
agwrestler
Eight Point

The shortest route to Evans is by boat
Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #164
chastings77
Four Point

I always thought maybe there was some mystical golden path through Martin's lower swamp to shave a mile or so off the trip.

Was fortunate to get there by boat last season but for sure not an option this year!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #165
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwrestler View Post
One time I made the mistake of taking a shortcut across a side canyon at Martins. That was brutal making the trip down and back up out. The bottom was a massive logjam like a bunch of tiddlywinks. That also helped me realize if I shot something down in the canyon it would take a couple trips. You don't have to be Cameron Hanes, but it helps if you're in good shape.
Been there done that it sucked for me too. lol
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #166
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
I always thought maybe there was some mystical golden path through Martin's lower swamp to shave a mile or so off the trip.

Was fortunate to get there by boat last season but for sure not an option this year!
Unless they get a good amount of rain out there boat won't even be a great option. Everyone is going to have to put in some work this season.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #167
RShockley
Eight Point

When is everyone planning on going out. I am not sure if I am going to shot for the opener or wait until thanksgiving. Will either be out there the first week or second week of gun season. Wanted to make it out for bow season but got lucky on one of the private land either sex draw hunts and had my name pulled. Going to be spending some of my time off from work in Southwest Texas
Old 09-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #168
chastings77
Four Point

Have been out scouting already, plan on being out there a lot, it has been 3 years now since I have scored meat at Lake Meredith. My plan this year is to hunt the weather a lot more. If a front is going to move in during the week/weekend I plan to be out there from Oct thru Dec. I found a great deal on a used kuiu storm star tent on ebay, will be out there in the weather.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #169
Dude Briggs
Six Point

We'll be headed out there next Friday, hope to find a bigger mulie buck this year
Old 09-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #170
PublicLandFreaks
Four Point

Hunt In: Cuero,Public land

Cant wait for mule deer season!!
PublicLandFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #171
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
We'll be headed out there next Friday, hope to find a bigger mulie buck this year
How long are y'all staying?

Are y'all backcountry camping or car camping?
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #172
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicLandFreaks View Post
Cant wait for mule deer season!!
Getting closer. Going to be an interesting learning experience for me.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #173
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
How long are y'all staying?

Are y'all backcountry camping or car camping?
We'll be hunting Sat until Wednesday, maybe longer depending on the condition and hunting. We tent camp in the sticks
Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #174
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Quote:
We'll be hunting Sat until Wednesday, maybe longer depending on the condition and hunting. We tent camp in the sticks
Good luck! Keep us posted!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #175
chastings77
Four Point

Quote:
Let us know how it goes Dude, good luck this year!

Too bad we can't hunt right now, the temp is dropping 20 degrees tomorrow and rain! Going to go out Sunday morning after the rains and see what the tracks look like.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #176
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Man I hope we get showers while were hunting. A couple years back we had a shower come thru and as soon as it cleared up the canyon we had been glassing that was seemingly empty had more mulies in it than we had ever seen out there. They just got up, shook the rain of and fed for a bit before they bedded back down. That will realy stir em up after a good rain
Old 09-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #177
CharlieWhiskey
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lindale, Hamilton County, Public Land

Quote:
Have been out scouting already, plan on being out there a lot, it has been 3 years now since I have scored meat at Lake Meredith. My plan this year is to hunt the weather a lot more. If a front is going to move in during the week/weekend I plan to be out there from Oct thru Dec. I found a great deal on a used kuiu storm star tent on ebay, will be out there in the weather.
hastings, could you PM me please? This thread finally convinced me to sign up with TBH so Iím brand new, and it wonít let me send a PM until I have posted 15 times.
CharlieWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #178
chastings77
Four Point

Dude_Briggs

What are you guys doing for water in the backcountry this year? The river is probably too low, the lake is so low that there isn't even water in martin's canyon. I guess packing it all in this year...need some water caches out there.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #179
CharlieWhiskey
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lindale, Hamilton County, Public Land

Son of a gun I can see the message but can’t respond. I will make some posts and reply when I get to 15 and it will let me.

We were planning on taking a decent size collabsable container and filling it with a filter pump but some on here have said the water is salty even if you can filter the sediment without ruining several cartridges. So we are rethinking that. It would be awesome if there was a sping or at least another source that wasn’t directly in the Canadian river bed.
CharlieWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #180
Dude Briggs
Six Point

We always pack our water in with us
Old 09-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #181
RShockley
Eight Point

After being out there scouting the best way is to just pack in your water. If your goint to be out in the backcountry for a few days you can always setup a solar still. That will handle the sediment and the salinity. It isn't fast however so I would still take a few days worth of water. I am currently planning on returning to a main camp every few days to get more water.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #182
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dude_Briggs

What are you guys doing for water in the backcountry this year? The river is probably too low, the lake is so low that there isn't even water in martin's canyon. I guess packing it all in this year...need some water caches out there.
This was Martin's a few weeks ago. Water was going up into the canyon quite a bit.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #183
chastings77
Four Point

Shake n bake, that looks almost where the water was last year!

Saw some deer this weekend, 1 whitetail buck, several whitetail does, and many mule does, no mule bucks...all early morning. Even saw a bobcat, haven't seen one in a long time.

Can't wait for opening day boys!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #184
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Shake n bake, that looks almost where the water was last year!

Saw some deer this weekend, 1 whitetail buck, several whitetail does, and many mule does, no mule bucks...all early morning. Even saw a bobcat, haven't seen one in a long time.

Can't wait for opening day boys!
Sounds like a productive weekend. At this point I am just hoping it is not to packed when I go out to hunt but have a feeling that I will not be that lucky.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #185
chastings77
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Sounds like a productive weekend. At this point I am just hoping it is not to packed when I go out to hunt but have a feeling that I will not be that lucky.
Yessir, I haven't figured that one out yet either! I am hoping for a really cold season with lots of snow.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #186
chastings77
Four Point

Anyone know if and when Mullinaw Crossing was opened last year? Has anyone ever crossed in their vehicle?

If it does open, would anyone be interested in backing me up in crossing it this season. I have a lifted FZJ80 and think I can cross it but would want someone there to pull me back out if not.

Would make for nice hunting in Big Canyon without the 8 mile devils canyon hike in.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #187
jmack82
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Anyone know if and when Mullinaw Crossing was opened last year? Has anyone ever crossed in their vehicle?

If it does open, would anyone be interested in backing me up in crossing it this season. I have a lifted FZJ80 and think I can cross it but would want someone there to pull me back out if not.

Would make for nice hunting in Big Canyon without the 8 mile devils canyon hike in.

Just sent you a pm
jmack82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #188
agwrestler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
This was Martin's a few weeks ago. Water was going up into the canyon quite a bit.
That point on the far side is where I saw a boat drop off 4 hunters who split in to sets of 2 and hiked in towards Evans. Less than an hr later, boom from that direction.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #189
chastings77
Four Point

Had a great opening weekend, was 20 yds from slinging an arrow at a white tail doe, could not get a clear shot and then she took off.

I did see something weird, I was glassing a canyon that was normally full of deer, mostly mule does, and didn't see anything that morning. There were about 40 head of cattle in the canyon and about an hour later a cowboy on a horse coming up from the far lake side herding them out. I wonder if he ran that canyon out early that morning.

Had a good weekend and got some good exercise, did anyone score yet?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #190
chastings77
Four Point

Check out this spot I found, 1 mile from heavily hunted area...thick thick cover. Think this is my opening day spot.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #191
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Check out this spot I found, 1 mile from heavily hunted area...thick thick cover. Think this is my opening day spot.
Definitely some solid trails there. Have you scouted or just found it on google earth?

Last edited by RShockley; 10-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #192
chastings77
Four Point

RShockley, I originally found it on google earth and scouted it in the spring. It is a real pain to get there but I think it will be worth it with all the trails going through that one spot.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #193
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Our trip got cut short due to a death in the family. We only saw 2 bucks, one 1st light opening morning which was a long ways off in the fog. We tried to make a move on him dropping into a draw but when we got back to glass the field he was in we couldn't find him again. 2nd buck was that evening and on the move, we think another hunter spooked him and we lost him as well. Over 2 1/2 days we spotted over 30 mulie does fawns and yearlings. I'm convinced they are in every canyon out there. My glassing skills are getting better as I spotted several bedded deer this year. We also had a doe and fawn graze up to 12 yards from us. The fawn would bleat every now and again to moma, that was pretty cool as it was the 1st time Ive ever heard em do that. All in all it was a really fun trip. The big bucks are still very elusive to me but we learn more every year. We did find a lot of buck sign including a monster scrape in a canyon but we think they moved out when more people started showing up.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #194
chastings77
Four Point

Dude, thanks for the report and sorry to hear about the death in your family, prayers your way.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #195
chastings77
Four Point

Had a great hunt this weekend before the rain set in. No hunting pressure where I was at, did not sling an arrow but was a great scout in a new area I had never been before.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #196
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Looks like a good area, maybe some draws at the back of the tops of the canyons? That's where we found the most buck sign. That a Vortex spotting scope and if so how do you like it? I have 12x50 Vortex Vipers binos and love em. I usually only pull out the spotting scope once I find deer to determine if it's a buck but then again my spotting scope kinda sucks
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #197
RShockley
Eight Point

Looks like a nice area that could hold some nice deer. Wish I lived closer so I could make more trips out there. Really enjoyed the scouting trip I took up there and can't wait until my trip in November. It is such a cool place.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #198
chastings77
Four Point

Hey Dude, yessir that is the Diamondback 20-60-60, picked it up used on ebay for $150. I really like it and have seen a lot more deer so far this year than in the past. Honestly I think I would prefer your setup, good pair of 10x or better and a crummy scope.

Took off work tomorrow to hunt at Lake Meredith. We have seen 4 days of high winds and rain and tomorrow is going to be sunny, light wind, and cool weather. I am thinking the deer are going to be moving, will see.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #199
chastings77
Four Point

RShockley - yessir, lucky to be so close. The more time I spend out there the more I realize how big it is. This new canyon looks promising for bow season but will most likely have too much pressure come gun. I would like to hunt it more when all the leaves have fallen and I can see a bit better.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #200
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Looks like we have had 5-6 inches of rain west of Meredith and more to come this weekend. It will be interesting to see how high the water level rises to.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top