Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT
Default Bad news from the vet

Well guys and gals, this morning did not go as planned. My Boxer named Tahoe is advanced in age and showing signs of it. He was full grown when we rescued him, but still very young and now guessing him to be in the 10-12 year range.
The vet said that the "average" life expectancy is 8-10years. He had a VERY hard life before we rescued him. But when we got him he was loved on all day everyday and continued today as he is sleeping on the couch beside me as I watch "Land of the Free" v2.0 on YouTube and typing this. He's a good dog. Lets us know when someone is knocking on the door and when squirrels are in the back yard. He has a hard time walking now, tripping over his back legs because the vet says he doesnt have feeling in has back paws and drags his feet. He is getting riddled with skin tumors which we had one real aggressive one removed last year and had another one scheduled to be removed in December. That appt has been canceled. The good vet says that with the amount of tumors that are popping up, its not fair to Tahoe to keep having procedures to remove them, which I completely agree with. The vet thinks that his cancer (GOD I HATE that word!!) has turned malignant. He wondered if he has tumors inside him as well as the amount that are showing up externally. Only way to know is to submit him to xrays and procedures. I just cant do that to him. I just want him to be happy and comfortable. He doesnt show any signs of suffering yet. The conservative approach is to give him steriod anti inflammatory to slow the tumors and arthritis and hip and/or back pain. However with that approach it can also mess up his insides. Darned if we do darned if we dont. The good vet says that with the loss of feeling in his back paws could be caused from a list of things in which either one there is nothing they can do for him.

So I asked the Vet what are the things that we need to watch for and what to expect, I cried in that office. This really sucks!! I love my Tahoe. He's good dog. So the Vet ran through the steps when the time comes to ease him of his pain. My wife and I have some tough decisions to make. My two oldest daughters 13 and 15 understand but its 6yo daughter that is going to be the hardest as Tahoe sleeps on her bed with her. Thats going to be the toughest. I am sorry for this long depressing thread on a friday, I had to get it off my chest. I'm a mess right now.
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I'm truly sorry you're going through this.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Guardian Reaper
Six Point

So sorry for your family during this time. Just always try give him one more extra pat or scratch. You will remember it.
Guardian Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Sorry to hear about your Tahoe. Its tuff thing to deal with. Been there done that and it sucks.
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

So sad to hear, my girl is 14 and still doing good but I know the day will come for me to deal with the same issue.
Prayers sent for your family and Tahoe.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
pondboss
Eight Point

Hunt In: Concho County & Pongola Region, KwaZulu-Natal S.A.

Prayers sent for your family and for Tahoe.
pondboss is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

Guys and gals, I apologize for the 2nd post/thread I made. I am computer illiterate and when I hit submit I thought it didnt send so I made a second one. I am sorry. Just kinda out of sorts as I havent had to go through this before.
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Prayers for you and your family, it's hard to imagine losing a family member like that.
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
HankTheTank
Nubbin' Buck

Sorry to hear, hang in there. Hope you don't mind if I share my thoughts, but I lost the best dog I ever owned to cancer and want to share my experience.

Duke had been wheezing and it wasn't getting better, but he didn't show any signs of pain or discomfort. We had hoped it was a cold or something he would get better from, but it turned out not to be the case. Took him to the vet to find out he had cancer that had gone malignant and spread throughout his body. The vet estimated he may have a couple weeks so we decided to wait to put him down. A week later I knew we needed to take him in and probably should have done it sooner, but had selfishly put it off in an effort to have more time with him. We got to the vet and before they could finish prepping him, he passed away just minutes after being taken back. I was in the waiting area because they said I couldn't go back until they had everything setup and ready. It still bothers the hell out of me because he died in the hands of strangers without me/us there to love and comfort him as he passed.

I've heard, and believe, some pets will hang on as long as they can for their owners and can hide pain/discomfort. They will wait until the owner is away/not in their presence to 'let go of life'. I feel in my heart that is what Duke did.

I think I understand how you're feeling right now, be as strong as you can be. Spoil Tahoe as much as you can with whatever quality time you all have left, but listen to your heart and gut and don't wait too long like I did. It is hard enough to lose a pet you love, but it will be even harder if you deny him the peaceful passing he deserves.
HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Sorry to hear that. I have no words. Dogs are called a man's best friend for a reason.

I hope he gets plenty of ice cream and table food over the coming days/weeks/months!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Sorry for y’alls pain just went thru this with our Aggie she was gonna be 10 in April which is really old for Dogue De Bordeaux, she’s resting next to our other dogue’s under their favorite oak tree, our 10 year old took it really hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Sorry bro....they're like our kids and so hard to let go of. You're doing the right thing it sounds.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

We just had to put down our Dexter dog (12yo collie) on Tuesday due to similar issues with his back legs. He had decent days where his back half walked around like a half drunk sailor and then there were times that he couldn't even stand up without assistance. The final straw was a call from the kennel saying he was having to be carried outside to use the restroom while we were out of town last weekend.

It has not been a good week.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Prayers up for yall.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Texas

Hate to hear that brother, praying for your family.
jbarr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top