Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #51
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO8204 View Post
I'm using Liberty Healthshare right now without any issues. I lost my job last year and had to pay for Blue Cross Blue Shield myself. I was paying $1,500/month for my wife, my son, and myself. With Liberty Healthshare, I pay $399/month and have an annual unshared amount of $1,500 ($500 per person.) Once I reach that amount, everything is covered 100% (up to $1,000,00 per incident with the "Liberty Complete" plan I have.)
That's good to hear !!!
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #52
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrdnk View Post
Ours is a little over $1500 a month for my wife, son and I. She is a school teacher and we are on her insurance. I am self employed. Every year it cost more and coverage and out of pocket is less. We at paying for the uninsured and the things Obama care forced on the insurance companies. I do not know how a single parent teacher can afford it and pay rent , car , insurance.
Hmmm
HISD is around $550 per month for an entire family

http://hisdbenefits.org/plan-benefit...onsumer-plans/

I think I pay like $70 per month for my family
And yes I work (contract) for a publicly traded company and have access to their group plan.
As stated before I have clients in the medical/pharma industries.

I've also had clients in tech and e-comm and they had similar rates to HISD $400 to $500 per month for a family plan

I don't think I've ever seen a plan over $1k per month for a family that is under 40 years old with no pre-existing conditions that lives in a metropolitan area (houston Dallas Austin SA)
So over $2k a month I've only seen that for elderly or hyper-obese folks.

My suggestion is that it's a free market economy.
Go work somewhere that they cover all if not a big chunk of your health insurance if you want lower rates.

Kinda like driving a F350 complaining about gas prices.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #53
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
What do all of you do for a living to have insurance this high?

I pay $1467 a year for medical, dental and vision for myself. My wife pays about the same so about $3000 a year for the both of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
no way.
you're being subsidized by someone.
Quote:
Of course I am. Thatís why I asked what people do for a living to have insurance that high. Are they self employed, retired at an early age, or working for a company and the insurance provided is that high?

No offense to you because I'm talking in general terms but this right here is one reason we are in this bind. When O care first hit the only people screaming was the 20% that got screwed right away. Most people who had a job that were not affected didn't care. Then as the ones screwed first calmed down (because no one else gave a crap so they gave up) the next group got screwed...

I never understood why people can't see they will be screwed next. We will all lose eventually but because we didn't stand together and fight this crap in the beginning.

Sooner or later the people with jobs will have to call BS and make everyone pay their fair way.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #54
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
We have some friends that are on one of the Christian group share plans and they like it. Basic visits are out of pocket but more expensive things are covered from what I understand.

Unless Iím self employed Iíll never take a job without good insurance again. My current company sucks so we switched to my wifeís insurance and itís amazing. We are on the highest plan and for a family itís $600 mo with really low deductible and max oop. Without good insurance Iíd have to have a $15-20k bump in my base to equal out
Good luck! I don't know of any company that offers better insurance. Seems like they are falling like dominoes as far as getting worse and worse.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #55
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
Hmmm

HISD is around $550 per month for an entire family

http://hisdbenefits.org/plan-benefit...onsumer-plans/

I think I pay like $70 per month for my family

And yes I work (contract) for a publicly traded company and have access to their group plan.

As stated before I have clients in the medical/pharma industries.

I've also had clients in tech and e-comm and they had similar rates to HISD $400 to $500 per month for a family plan

I don't think I've ever seen a plan over $1k per month for a family that is under 40 years old with no pre-existing conditions that lives in a metropolitan area (houston Dallas Austin SA)

So over $2k a month I've only seen that for elderly or hyper-obese folks.

My suggestion is that it's a free market economy.

Go work somewhere that they cover all if not a big chunk of your health insurance if you want lower rates.

Kinda like driving a F350 complaining about gas prices.

Please tell us exactly what plan you have with HISD where you only pay $70 a month for your family?
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #56
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Please tell us exactly what plan you have with HISD where you only pay $70 a month for your family?

And then show us a pay stub and prove that heís only paying $70 a month for his entire family.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #57
Keith
Administrator

My wife is a school teacher and we are paying $2040 a month for our family of 4 through her work. It's going up again this year, though I think about $150 more starting in August or September. We've got to find something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #58
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
And then show us a pay stub and prove that heís only paying $70 a month for his entire family.

My employer would have to pay 96% of my premium to get mine down to $70/mo. Thatíd be nice!!
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #59
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

And...he gone!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #60
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Good luck! I don't know of any company that offers better insurance. Seems like they are falling like dominoes as far as getting worse and worse.
I think a lot of it depends on industry. My wife works for a big tech company and premium benefits is how they attract top talent. It is insaine what people have to pay right now for things and no wonder that medical debt is piling up. I just got the bill for my wifeís delivery and a 1 week stay in the NICU for our daughter and before insurance it was $40k... no way Iíd be able to cover that without insurance
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #61
DRettele
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

Last night we signed up for Medi-Share for $540/month to start on 7/1. This is a huge cost savings for my family as my current work premiums were scheduled to go up another ~$130/month starting on 7/1. That would have made my total monthly health insurance over $1,100/month. In a month we will apply for the up to 20% discount that comes with the Healthy Household Incentive - the most difficult part will be the Blood Pressure of less than/equal to 121/81. I've been right around 125/65 for a while.

I am so looking forward to going through my company's open enrollment tomorrow and declining coverage!!!
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #62
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRettele View Post
Last night we signed up for Medi-Share for $540/month to start on 7/1. This is a huge cost savings for my family as my current work premiums were scheduled to go up another ~$130/month starting on 7/1. That would have made my total monthly health insurance over $1,100/month. In a month we will apply for the up to 20% discount that comes with the Healthy Household Incentive - the most difficult part will be the Blood Pressure of less than/equal to 121/81. I've been right around 125/65 for a while.

I am so looking forward to going through my company's open enrollment tomorrow and declining coverage!!!
What is medi share just regular health plan in with a group?
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #63
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Last night we signed up for Medi-Share for $540/month to start on 7/1.
What do you get for that $540 per month?
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #64
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

There is a 1.1 Mill ranch on here right now I would buy it if we were not paying 3K a month health insurance premium...

This is stupid...

This is pre tax. To pay 36K a year for insurance you have to make 36K. Tax on 36k is around 10K.

So health insurance is stupid high.......

Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 06-06-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #65
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:

Just curious for you and those that have hopped over to these Christian based share plans. All of them have a tobacco restriction. Unfortunately, I havenít been able to kick the can. Do they send a nurse to your home which basically does a health evaluation and nicotine test similar to what happens when you sign up for health insurance?

Iím wanting to jump on these plans, but it sounds like if I canít kick the can, I canít join. I guess all the more reason to quit.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #66
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Of course I am. Thatís why I asked what people do for a living to have insurance that high. Are they self employed, retired at an early age, or working for a company and the insurance provided is that high?

Your employer is paying ~80% and should you change jobs you are likely to experience real world rates.

You should kiss your employers feet every day for that perk.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #67
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96inTexas View Post
That's why I'm still working. I turn 65 on saturday and I'll work until i can't drag myself to the job just because of insurance.
My goal is to pilot an ROV when I am 70.
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #68
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

I currently work for a County government, which everything is paid for. Wife is a nurse and pays $100 a month for everything. I just couldn't comprehend medical insurance if I was paying as much as some guys.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #69
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Health insurance was intended to fail and collapse when Obama signed into law. The government wanted the public to feel desperate and come crawling to there doorstep for a fix. It’s a joke and hopefully trump can get this prob fixed like all the other problems he has fixed.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #70
DRettele
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
What is medi share just regular health plan in with a group?
This link is going to explain it much better than I can. https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/
Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #71
DRettele
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
What do you get for that $540 per month?
Basically anything new that occurs like new sicknesses, injuries and such. Anything that is pre-existing in the last 36 months is generally not covered. There is a prescription plan that I don't have a lot of details on yet. The only maintenance prescription that we have in my household is my cholesterol meds and since this is a pre-existing condition I don't know if they will cover this yet or not. I'm not real worried about the cost on this as I am on a generic already and the Walgreen's plan was about the same cost as my old insurance prescription plan cost anyway.

This site is going to have much more information that I can provide and my wife spent quite a bit of time on the phone with them asking questions before we decided to make this jump.
https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/
Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #72
DRettele
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Just curious for you and those that have hopped over to these Christian based share plans. All of them have a tobacco restriction. Unfortunately, I havenít been able to kick the can. Do they send a nurse to your home which basically does a health evaluation and nicotine test similar to what happens when you sign up for health insurance?

Iím wanting to jump on these plans, but it sounds like if I canít kick the can, I canít join. I guess all the more reason to quit.
There was an online survey/questionnaire that anyone over 18 years of age had to complete and a couple of the questions was about tobacco use. You are digitally signing the survey/questionnaire at the end. No nurse was sent to our home to validate the survey/questionnaire. However, we haven't applied for the Health Incentive discount yet. One of the requirements for the Health Incentive discount is a BP reading of less than or equal to 121/80. I don't know how they validate this.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #73
Part Timer
Six Point

Hunt In: Cleveland, TX

Quote:
There was an online survey/questionnaire that anyone over 18 years of age had to complete and a couple of the questions was about tobacco use. You are digitally signing the survey/questionnaire at the end. No nurse was sent to our home to validate the survey/questionnaire. However, we haven't applied for the Health Incentive discount yet. One of the requirements for the Health Incentive discount is a BP reading of less than or equal to 121/80. I don't know how they validate this.
My wife is on BP medication. Does that automatically disqualify her?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #74
DRettele
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Timer View Post
My wife is on BP medication. Does that automatically disqualify her?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I do not believe so. In my case I take cholesterol meds and one of their questions online required me to provide additional information such as who my doctor is, when was my last visit and doctor administered test, and what my last metrics were for my cholesterol.
I imagine it would be similar for high blood pressure.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #75
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #76
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County
Default Health Insurance

Quote:

With a $50K deductible and $200K maxout of pocket. It took you almost 6 months to find that on the internet?

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #77
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
With a $50K deductible and $200K maxout of pocket. It took you almost 6 months to find that on the internet?

LoL
No it is open enrollment so that's the only reason why I go into this benefits section.
One day per year I'm in here.

My deductible is like $4500 and then they pay 80% up to my yearly max of $8k or $9k
Only time we've ever got that high is when we had a kid.

The only time I've had dinky health insurance was when I worked for this boutique firm that had like six employees but I was young and single at the time so I didn't really care about health insurance rates that much
Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #78
Beeman
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Coleman

We have Christian healthcare Ministries and are very happy with them. They have been easy to work with. My wife has been fighting cancer since Thanksgiving of last year and they have truly been a blessing to both of us. The down side you pay for most things out of pocket and they pay you back . It’s truly a great Ministry
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #79
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

In
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #80
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Ours is going up a little...again! F*** obama and his lies!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #81
CEO
Ten Point

Wife's employer pays for her insurance in full. Our two kids have a Blue cross plan for $350/each per month and I missed the enrollment deadline last year. About to start shopping for a plan that covers myself and the kids....not looking forward to it.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #82
spliffnwesson
Eight Point

My insurance is paid for in full but my wife and kid are costing me 467 per paycheck. I get paid every other week. Yeah, it sucks.
spliffnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #83
bhaggie86
Six Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

New enrollment just opened for us. Company changed and the new rates are looking favorable. Blue Cross Blue Shield

Low Deductible plan for family=$530/month ($900 deductible/$3000 Individual Max/$6,000 Family Max out of pocket)

Middle plan for family=$306/month ($2850 deductible/$5500 Individual Max/$11,000 Family Max out of pocket)

High deductible plan for family=$122/month ($4500 deductible/$6500 Individual Max/$13,000 Family Max out of pocket)
bhaggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #84
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Every teacher in the State needs to apply there then
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #85
Rotney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmuzzy View Post
Itís funny to me the scum of the earth politicians in Washington arenít paying $18,000 to $30,000 a year on insurance. F ing leaches in Washington are so out of touch with working Americans itís not even funny! They have absolutely no idea what it takes to make a living for your family.
If Trump would take their exemption away and make them have the same we do I bet it would get fixed in a hurry.

$1027 a month for just me
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #86
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaggie86 View Post
New enrollment just opened for us. Company changed and the new rates are looking favorable. Blue Cross Blue Shield

Low Deductible plan for family=$530/month ($900 deductible/$3000 Individual Max/$6,000 Family Max out of pocket)

Middle plan for family=$306/month ($2850 deductible/$5500 Individual Max/$11,000 Family Max out of pocket)

High deductible plan for family=$122/month ($4500 deductible/$6500 Individual Max/$13,000 Family Max out of pocket)
Thatís good right there. Iíd pay that all day long and twice on Sunday.