Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #51
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Well talked to someone in the know this weekend about this hunt and while he said "you didn't hear this from me" he explained there were some pretty influential persons drawn for this hunt that were not happy how things went down. That stuff was gonna change on how this unit is run in the future whatever that means.

Last edited by bossbowman; 10-29-2018 at 12:26 AM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #52
CoachRCole
Nubbin' Buck

As a coach, I thought my profession was the only one with "armchair" quarterbacks.......... guess I was wrong.
CoachRCole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #53
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Well talked to someone in the know this weekend about this hunt and while he said "you didn't hear this from me" he explained there were some pretty influential persons drawn for this hunt that were not happy how things went down. That stuff was gonna change on how this unit is run in the future whatever that means.
I don't understand how they will handle things differently. Nothing can be done about a river flooding. I believe that I am correct when I say that any cancelled state draw hunt is handled the same way, reimbursement of fee and preference points. The next year a new drawing takes place. What is there to change?
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #54
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

I'm suspecting they're wanting the drawn hunters postponed until next years hunt instead of cancelled since it take so long to draw now usually. I'm sure there were a few guys drawn with only 1 or 2 points but there were several that have been waiting 10 years to draw, although it could be some of the adults on the cancelled youth hunt causing the fuss.

Last edited by bossbowman; 10-31-2018 at 01:17 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

My sons were drawn for youth hunts there several years ago, were drawn 3 or 4 times, they each got their first deer there. Lots of nice bucks in there, especially on the North side along the pipeline.
Yeah, most of it is bottom land, its going to flood, you can see the water line on all the trees down in there. We were always treated well while there and the managers were very informative but didn't put up with any foolishness.
Always a lot of standby hunters during the check-in though.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #56
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I think if you deferred the hunters from a cancelled hunt to the next years hunt you would have a lot of no shows . Things can change a lot for people over a years time. On the other hand, I would make myself available for the hunt as I have been applying several years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #57
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

It is what it is. The river has been flooding for a long time. There may only be about 200ac that don't flood on this WMA when the Trinity comes out.

Nobody can control mother nature. I would be shocked if anything changes. Everyone is always *issed off when it gets cancelled. Good luck next year on the draw!!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #58
Killer
Ten Point

The one thing they could do is reschedule instead of cancel the hunt but then some of the hunters would not be happy with that either because of time off or prior commitments.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #59
m10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

Just got the email and call. The gun hunt has been cancelled. Oh well. Maybe some other time
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #60
Killer
Ten Point

Dang that is rough. With all the rain today no way they could have it and you would not want to be there in the black gumbo and water.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #61
m10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

Youíre right. Just stinks that it takes so long to get drawn and itís wasted. Dang Mother Nature!
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top