Ashby on this weeks Meateater podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashby on this weeks Meateater podcast

Don’t want to start an arrow/ broadhead setup debate. Just wanted to share that I just finished this weeks episode of the Meateater podcast. They came to Texas and interviewed Dr Ed Ashby. Lots of real neat information and a great episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what head and arrow did they recommend. I'm not listening to the podcast...

Comment

It was definitely interesting and seems like he's done some extensive research

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
        This is the place to start to learn how to increase your lethal bowhunting results, using the correct arrows, broadheads and inserts. We can't control what the animal does after the arrow is released. But we can dramatically increase the lethality of our shots.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post

Probably one that is meant to be shot out of a #40 recurve at African animals because other set ups penetrate too good for the testing [emoji23]

Comment

Awesome episode of the meateater podcast.

People are funny.... Watch me go fast. Sounds like my kids
            Last edited by WillowCity2506; 08-04-2021, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Actually was a very informative episode. Whether you like him and his research or not, there are numerous things in there that can be applied to all arrow and broadhead setups light and heavy alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew51 View Post
                It was definitely interesting and seems like he's done some extensive research
                He helped me a lot building the arrow I used to kill an elephant.
                He saw I had put together the hunt and called me out of the blue.
                I knew him to be an honest fellow when I asked which broadhead he would recommend and he did not pick his but recommend the Tuff Heads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	451.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	24657848

Comment

It was a good episode, good information.

Comment

I started listening to it yesterday, getting about half way through. I am enjoying it...not only for the intended purpose (data based arrow penetration), but also b/c Dr. Ashby seems like an interesting guy, and has some good stories. While I do not intend to switch my arrow set up, I have no doubt that what Dr. Ashby and his colleagues are finding in their testing is legit and accurate. If you are interested in maximizing penetration, you'd be hard pressed to find better research upon which to base your arrow design.

Nice work, Ashby Foundation.

Comment

This is outdated thinking. Recommending a COC single bevel for everything from a turkey to mule deer. Yes for the big critters, but for turkey size up to mule deer and even elk, I think with modern bow's and the right BIG cut mechanical broadheads paired with the correct arrows, you'll have a better chance at recovering an animal w/ a poor shot. Now if you're specifically talking about penetration, of course he's right. Would you rather hit a deer in the liver/guts with a 2" razor sharp mechanical that make a huge hole, or a 1" single bevel COC, that makes a small surgical wound the animal is more likely to recover from. Hitting a shoulder, or taking shots "other than broadside" is a different story.

I think if you're a recurve or longbow guy, his stuff is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                        This is outdated thinking. Recommending a COC single bevel for everything from a turkey to mule deer. Yes for the big critters, but for turkey size up to mule deer and even elk, I think with modern bow's and the right BIG cut mechanical broadheads paired with the correct arrows, you'll have a better chance at recovering an animal w/ a poor shot. Now if you're specifically talking about penetration, of course he's right. Would you rather hit a deer in the liver/guts with a 2" razor sharp mechanical that make a huge hole, or a 1" single bevel COC, that makes a small surgical wound the animal is more likely to recover from. Hitting a shoulder, or taking shots "other than broadside" is a different story.

I think if you're a recurve or longbow guy, his stuff is great.

I agree. I don’t see a need to use his exact setup for whitetail deer. I think there are still lots of good things we can take away from his research and apply to our own setups though

Comment

Working...
                        X