Guy across the street recording my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy across the street recording my house

Whats the proper situation here. This guy across the street has a camcorder that he placed on the corner of his house that he faces at different houses randomly everyday. Last week it was faced at my neighbors, this week he has it facing mine.

I believe he is schizophrenic, as we've seen him have episodes over the past few years in the middle of the street. His family moved out and left him there.

We'll I saw him outside the other day and kindly asked him to stop recording or facing that camera towards our house, as I have little girls and a wife that are home by themselves somedays while Im at work. He threw a fit saying that its not illegal (which Im aware of) and that he isnt a convicted felon. He then asked me to step into his property if I want to see what he is recording. He then went into his house and brought out a gun. He left it at his gate as he approached me in the middle of the street and threatened to "mess me up" and that he is going to catch me one day. He may have ahad a pistol on his waist which is why I decided to walk into my property and wait for him to trespass before I called the cops. I never have talked to this guy in the 10 years of living here. This was the first occurrence since I feel nearly violated. Had he had the camera maybe facing his driveway or something, then it wouldn't be an issue. But Ive seen him move his camera during the day to face other houses, so he is doing something purposely.

I'm assuming nothing can be done until he breaks the law; not sure if him brandishing his weapon and threatening to hurt me is illegal, but looking for anything legal I can bring to this guy to at least get him to at least remove that camera.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like he lost his marbles! He probably doesn’t even have the camera on and he’s looking for a fight!

Comment

I think contacting the non- emergency Dispatch number would be your best bet and ask to speak with an officer. He could clear any questions you have & at-least start a record / paper trail in case things get more western.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Once the gun comes out, time to head inside and come up with a different strategy.
        If he’s half nuts he ain’t too far from using it.

There’s a self defense video of a bad neighbor run in ending in a double shooting not too long ago.
        I’ll go dig it up....

Active Self Defense video- Graphic warning -
        Last edited by DaveC; 07-07-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Get a camera and face it towards his house. Then document everything. Call the cops every time he disturbs your peace.

Comment

Legally not sure of anything. I’d definitely get a paper trail going with local officials. But the main thing that pop out at me was you told the guy that your wife & kid is at home by themselves while your at work sometimes. I would definitely keep a close eye on the guy. Not judging anyone but apparently something is wrong with him & you never know when he’ll snap. 1st things 1st protect your family!!

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
              I think contacting the non- emergency Dispatch number would be your best bet and ask to speak with an officer. He could clear any questions you have & at-least start a record / paper trail in case things get more western.

This is where I would start. Then I'd walk around the yard in my underwear every time I saw the camera pointed my way (my legs and chest shine like the vampires on twilight). Then I'd find some annoying crap to do on camera after that.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing you can do about the camera. What is the concern? He could just sit and watch from his porch, or his house and obtain similar information even without the camera. I would be more concerned with his mental health. Report anything out of the ordinary and I think following Nannyslayers advice above would be a great first step.

Comment

Next time he has an episode call the police. If they have any reason to think he's mentally impaired he will end up with an EMS ride to see a Doctor. The Doc may be able to get the guy some help or get him out of your hair for a while.

Comment

I don’t think I’d be outside my house with out a gun on me from this point forward.
                    Maybe he is mentally ill ( hmmm red flag ) regardless. Now that you have stirred him up you better be prepared

Comment

This is one of those situations where you could/should call and report him as "mentally unfit" to own a gun!!! How long ago did his family move out? In the meantime, I would point a camera right back at him.... No telling what he's going to do! That's a scary situation, especially with kids involved...

Comment

Just a security camera covering your property from a different angle. I don't let crap like that worry me. I don't care what my neighbors do as long as it's on their property.

Comment

I wouldn’t have any contact with him it sounds like that is just what he is wanting to happen. Some people just look for trouble. You don’t want to end up on
                          FEAR THY NEIGHBOR!

Comment

I’d leave him alone and mind my own business. He never bothered you in 10 years until you complained to him.

Comment

Do your part to get the man some help. Our son developed some sort of non genetic psychosis after his brain surgery. It’s heartbreaking and thankfully he’s not violent. He’s the sweetest kindest man I’ve ever met. But , I digress. Keep an eye on him, call and see if you can get social services or someone to come out and do a welfare check on him. Lastly for everyone, try to out yourself in this mans position. He’s alone, afraid, possibly angry, hearing voices cursing at him all his waking moments etc etc. it’s a living nightmare folks. And yes, be careful and protect your family. And start praying for the man! That shoulda been first on my list.
                              Wow! Just read AC’s post. Didn’t know you complained to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X