Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

My current AC is about 18 years old and I'm going to be replacing it soon before it croaks. What are the better brands to look at? Any to stay away from?

Replaced mine a few years ago. My AC guy, who I trust based on years of excellent service, told me there are only a couple of manufacturers nowadays. Many relabeled - but all pretty much the same underneath. I went with Goodman based on his recommendation and have zero complaints so far.

Comment

I agree with Goodman.

Comment

Goodman is the best bang for your buck I hear. Lots of people I know use them, ruud or American standard

Comment

You just asked what is better, Ford Chevy or dodge. Goodman is builder's grade IMO opinion. But it's like most other machines, they will never run forever.
          Trane is the best on the market IMO, or American Stardard if you want to save money. American Standard is pretty much the same piece of equipment with different names. Lennox, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier all make a great system. It depends on what you want to spend when it comes to how well the system will be and most importantly how well the system is installed. I recommend researching for a very reputable company before deciding what brand you want to go with.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
            You just asked what is better, Ford Chevy or dodge. Goodman is builder's grade IMO opinion. But it's like most other machines, they will never run forever.
            Trane is the best on the market IMO, or American Stardard if you want to save money. American Standard is pretty much the same piece of equipment with different names. Lennox, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier all make a great system. It depends on what you want to spend when it comes to how well the system will be and most importantly how well the system is installed. I recommend researching for a very reputable company before deciding what brand you want to go with.
            Great advice here! Been a Trane dealer for 15yrs now and its better quality but they will all get the job done if installed properly.

Comment

Trane and only Trane.

Comment

Goodman

Comment

As an engineer, I would stick with Trane, Lennox, Carrier, Rheem or York. They typically have an installer network that is higher quality, and the machines have a few details that set them apart, especially when you get into the higher efficiency arena.

Comment

I just replaced my entire system (minus duct work). I probably over-paid but I went back with Carrier. The last one I had last 20 years and was still running strong until it developed a leak in the evap coil. I'm hoping I get 20 years out of this one, even though I was told the newer system won't last that long

Comment

Make sure you fill out and send in the warranty paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                        As an engineer, I would stick with Trane, Lennox, Carrier, Rheem or York. They typically have an installer network that is higher quality, and the machines have a few details that set them apart, especially when you get into the higher efficiency arena.

Comment

The 3 bigger install companies in my area install Carrier, Trane, and Comfortmaker. I have never heard of the last. I will get pricing from all 3, but just curious on how they would compare to each other.

Comment

Goodman

Comment

Following.
                              I am running a 1988 Lennox system AC/heat and the service man cannot believe how this has lasted. I, personally did change the blower motor. But in my 22 years in this house the unit has not even taken a blast of Freon in the 6 or so times it has been serviced. Blows ice cold. New motor makes it quieter with greater CFM's. I am sure newer equipment is much more efficient.
                              Good info in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X