"spike" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"spike" question

Ok, I got this longhorn/ cowhorned 3 pt "spike" comin to my feeder. I say he's a spike cuz he is slick on one side and on the other has maybe a 1/2"-3/4" pt or bump on the end of his tine. Not really a defined point or split. But it is noticable. Is he a spike? I should have shot him the first time I saw him, but didnt want to waste a buck tag.

I know in AR counties, he would be legal, but in Kimble County would he be considered a spike?

As long as it has one unbranched antler it is considered a spike - what you describe sounds like a spike to me. Even this is a spike by TPWD standards. Link: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...ual/hunt/deer/
    Click image for larger version

Name:	legal2.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	23913492
    Last edited by jerp; 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, he would be considered a spike, if the point is less than an inch long on the "Branched" side of his antlers.

Comment

Jerp.... read page 61 of the rule book..

A "Spike Buck Deer" is a BUCK with no antler having more then one point..

Comment

I think you ment -a spike is a deer with one unbranched antler?

Comment

Originally posted by realmccoy View Post
            I think you ment -a spike is a deer with one unbranched antler?
            Nope!!!!! You can only shoot a buck with one unbranched antler during regular season...

Read page 61 and it give you the definition of a "SPIKE BUCK DEER"

Comment

A point is defined as less than an inch. What is unbranched defined as? This is discretionary if it is less than an inch and I believe is up to the judgement of the individual game warden. I discussed this with my local wardens last year with a similar situation. One told me it wouldnt be legal and the other told me it would be. When they told me that I just decided not to shoot this particular deer. That is why I wish they would be more specific in the manual with unbranched antler.

Comment

Xspot - I can't find it in the online version but I will take your word for it - and thanks for clearing that up. (This is my first time to hunt the extended season) There is a 3.5 year buck old I've seen a few times with a spike on one side and a fork on the other - I was hoping to stick it this weekend - sounds like that would be an expensive mistake.

Comment

I was told by my local GW that it could have 100 points on one side and slick on the other and it is concidered a spike buck. If you are not sure call your local GW and verify. I never take anyone elses advice when it comes to game laws I go straight to the GW. I have heard forlks swear about a certain law and when I ask the local GW the ifo was way different. If I am ever confused (which is quite often when it comes to game laws) I always call my local GW. He has always been very helpful.

Comment

I found what Xspot was referring to very top of this page - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...ual/hunt/deer/
                    What is considered a "legal" buck during the regular season and what is considered a "spike buck" are different

Comment

ttt

Comment

Is any buck with one unbranched antler considered a spike (regardless of the other side) or is a spike a 2 pointer?

Comment

Under the antler restriction laws, if at least one side has an unbranched antler then it is a spike. Any other defintion doesn't matter as the antler restrictions have their own definition.

A legal deer is one having "at least" one unbranched antler or an inside spread of at least 13".

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            Under the antler restriction laws, if at least one side has an unbranched antler then it is a spike. Any other defintion doesn't matter as the antler restrictions have their own definition.

A legal deer is one having "at least" one unbranched antler or an inside spread of at least 13".
                            x2 for general season.
                            Last edited by Osceola; 01-04-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

I'm more concerned about counties that do not fall under the antler restrictions. You are correct, under AR guidelines, he's legal. Kimble county is not an AR county. Just wonderin if buck as described will fall under GW descresion(sp). I would rather have a cut and dry answer b4 I let my boy pull the trigger next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X