Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 College Football - Fall Camps Open!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    It's funny that everyone loves to whine about how much it sucks that college football has become "All about the money", and then brag about who has the most money. Not singling out anyone in particular.
    I am on the opposite side of the coin. It is all about the money and I have no problem with it. The world and our lives revolve around money. I have no idea what the future of college football looks like and nobody here does either. If it means that my team is going to play other good teams each week, then I am all for that. Will it be a prefect system, no but I am not afraid of change.

I do not like the NIL deal as it currently sits with no governing body to oversee it. I do think kids should be able to profit from their NIL. I believe that schools should have to play by the same rules and right now its the wild wild west.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
      I’m not really concerned with where that revenue or profit goes to. The statement was made that Texas makes more money than anyone else and that’s false. Texas A&M makes twice as much profit with only slightly less revenue generated than Texas(about 0.5% less).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Again, the numbers do not tell the whole story. In most cases, they tell the story of what they want you to read. There are many different ways to skin a cat. I am not arguing the point that A&M may make more profit than Texas, I truly do not know that answer and nobody does but those two accounting departments. I am just saying do not believe numbers you read.

Examples below - A&M Revenue for 2017 was $211, 960, *** and their spending was $146, 555, *** yet the article states they broke even.

Texas A&M athletics department joins Texas in $200 million operating revenue club
      Steve Berkowitz
      USA TODAY

The Texas A&M athletics department’s ongoing facilities upgrades again have resulted in the school rivaling the University of Texas for college sports revenue supremacy.

Texas A&M had nearly $212 million in operating revenue during its 2017 fiscal year, according to its latest financial report to the NCAA.
      Texas A&M had nearly $212 million in operating revenue during its 2017 fiscal year, according to its latest financial report to the NCAA. Almost $93 million of that amount was categorized as contributions received and spent by the department during that year, the document shows.

Texas A&M’s report comes on the heels of Texas financial documents that showed the Austin campus with nearly $215 million in athletics operating revenue for 2017.

It is the first time two public universities have reported more than $200 million in athletics revenue in the same year.

But this is third consecutive year in which Texas A&M has reported annual athletics revenue of more than $190 million. Prior to these years, the school never had reached $120 million in such revenue (not adjusting for inflation).

Fundraising campaigns related to a massive redevelopment of its football stadium that began in 2014, along with several other projects, have super-charged Texas A&M’s contribution totals.

Altogether over the past three years, Texas A&M has reported a combined total of $260 million in annual contributions to athletics.

The university provided its new report to USA TODAY Sports on Monday, in response to an open-records request.

Texas A&M recently has shown its financial muscle in other ways. It fired football coach Kevin Sumlin, owing him a $10.4 million buyout. It then replaced him with Jimbo Fisher, who has been given a deal the school has placed at $75 million over 10 years.

While the report shows Texas A&M with about $147 million in operating expenses for 2017 — an apparent annual surplus of more than $65 million — it also shows the school with just under $67 million in athletics-related capital expenditures during the year.

When schools borrow money to build or refurbish athletics facilities, the NCAA currently requires them to count annual debt service payments — the amount of principal and interest they repay in a given year — as an operational expense. Cash spending on facilities is supposed to be counted, and reported, separately from annual operating expenses.

As a result, contributions to Texas A&M’s athletics program that were made in 2017 and spent on facilities projects that year are being reported as operating revenue while most of the corresponding spending on those projects is not being reported as an annual operating expense.

The Texas A&M athletics department’s chief financial officer, Jeff Toole, told USA TODAY Sports that when the facilities-related contributions are removed from consideration for 2017, “we are basically break-even, maybe a little less than break-even, for the year.”

Toole said the capital projects covered in 2017 were a continuation of the $485 million football stadium project, the construction of stadiums for softball and track and field, and the installation of some new video boards. Toole declined to provide amounts spent in 2017 on each project.

If Texas A&M’s capital spending for 2017 is added to its operational spending for the year, the total is just over $213.5 million.

Oklahoma State reported $241 million in revenue (not adjusting for inflation) for 2006, when the NCAA was having the schools use a different methodology for their annual financial reporting than the one they use now. Oklahoma State reported $211 million in donations for that year. About $165 million came from Boone Pickens, largely for facility upgrades made over time.

When Texas released its 2017 financial report a little more than a week ago, it showed nearly $215 million in annual operating revenue and $207 million in operating expenses. Texas also had nearly $4 million in capital spending, plus a separate $10.3 million transfer to the university that also is not considered an annual operating expense under the NCAA’s reporting system.

Texas A&M’s new athletics spending report showed no additional transfers to the university.

With the softball facility set to open in April and the track and field facility in September, Toole said he anticipates that Texas A&M’s revenue for its 2018 and 2019 fiscal years will resemble the 2017 total.

“After that, it might start to normalize a little bit,” Toole said, “but you never know.”
      Last edited by Heath; 08-04-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I'm a simple man. I just wanna be at the deer lease with college football on from 8am to 10pm.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          I'm a simple man. I just wanna be at the deer lease with college football on from 8am to 10pm.

Amen! At the ranch, I record all the UT games. If we win, I keep the recording, if we lose, it gets 86'd. My brother and I joke that UT even in the down years, is undefeated at the ranch. Gives us something to watch in the offseason.

Comment

2021 College Football - Fall Camps Open!

Sark added a (Mater Dei, Cali) kid to the class at LB. He’s not a highly rated kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Chad C; 08-04-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
              Haha the arrogance & napoleon complex is alive and well. Trying to talk sports with Longhorn fans is impossible.
              Yes but you are making things up, the facts show opposite of what you are saying. How is the arrogance?

Comment

Yall should make a UT thread. Just saying,

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

I think that’s one thing we can all agree on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                    Yes but you are making things up, the facts show opposite of what you are saying. How is the arrogance?
                    What exactly did i "make up"?

Comment

What exactly did i "make up"?
                      "Texas A&M carries just as much weight these days. This notion that the University of Texas holds way more merit bc it's UT simply isnt the case."

Provide some context or facts to support or its just made up crap like usual. Texas is still getting top classes.

"so there's a bigger problem somewhere in there."
                      What is it then? Or is that just made up from Aggy?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                        "Texas A&M carries just as much weight these days. This notion that the University of Texas holds way more merit bc it's UT simply isnt the case."

Provide some context or facts to support or its just made up crap like usual. Texas is still getting top classes.

"so there's a bigger problem somewhere in there."
                        What is it then? Or is that just made up from Aggy?
                        Here ya go bud! Just for you and the other UT fans blowing nonstop smoke.

Comment

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...8#post15735628
                          Typical Aggy

Comment

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...8#post15735628
                            You're new here . . Go find the proverbial wall and bang your head against it . . You'll have way more success . . We've all been there, ALL of us, sips and Ags . . Please sign the register on your way out . . Gig em . .

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                              You're new here . . Go find the proverbial wall and bang your head against it . . You'll have way more success . . We've all been there, ALL of us, sips and Ags . . Please sign the register on your way out . . Gig em . .
                              Far from "new here" bud. I just keep it real.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                                Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X