No announcement yet.

Guy across the street recording my house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long ago did the rest of the family leave?

Comment

In this day and age cameras are probably pointed in everybody’s yard. Have you checked all your neighbors houses? You might have a bunch more aimed at you.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
        What's done is done as far as the encounter you had with him goes. Don't beat yourself up on that front.

Now, what you can do from this point on as others have suggested is get a camera of your own to document what he is up to.

Let your wife and daughters know when they see this guy outside to go inside.

Call law enforcement and make a record of what you are dealing with.

Next time you see him, wave nicely. If he says anything to you be polite and let him know you were having a bad day and realized you may have come at him sideways but meant no disrespect. (Do this from your property not his)

Mental health is no joke. If this guy is on the edge the last thing you want to do is be an excuse and put your family in his cross hairs.

I have a weird neighbor who lives about a mile down the road and he walks by my house on occasion. He made the mistake one day of talking to my kids who were playing outside. Long story short I am building a fence. At first I was gonna go knock on his door but my dad talked me down off that ledge. 25 years in law enforcement and his advice is don’t step on his property and give him an excuse.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
        This but not sure i'd wave at him or tell him another thing from this point out.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyguitarguy View Post
          Whats the proper situation here. This guy across the street has a camcorder that he placed on the corner of his house that he faces at different houses randomly everyday. Last week it was faced at my neighbors, this week he has it facing mine.

I believe he is schizophrenic, as we've seen him have episodes over the past few years in the middle of the street. His family moved out and left him there.

We'll I saw him outside the other day and kindly asked him to stop recording or facing that camera towards our house, as I have little girls and a wife that are home by themselves somedays while Im at work. He threw a fit saying that its not illegal (which Im aware of) and that he isnt a convicted felon. He then asked me to step into his property if I want to see what he is recording. He then went into his house and brought out a gun. He left it at his gate as he approached me in the middle of the street and threatened to "mess me up" and that he is going to catch me one day. He may have ahad a pistol on his waist which is why I decided to walk into my property and wait for him to trespass before I called the cops. I never have talked to this guy in the 10 years of living here. This was the first occurrence since I feel nearly violated. Had he had the camera maybe facing his driveway or something, then it wouldn't be an issue. But Ive seen him move his camera during the day to face other houses, so he is doing something purposely.

I'm assuming nothing can be done until he breaks the law; not sure if him brandishing his weapon and threatening to hurt me is illegal, but looking for anything legal I can bring to this guy to at least get him to at least remove that camera.

Any thoughts?
          I would talk to the police, so they know about him. I would not waist any time trying to find something minor on the guy to turn him in to the police. I say minor, meaning anything that would have the police at his house, or arrest him where he goes to jail for a couple of days. Anything along those lines is going to really get him fired up and escalate things to a much more dangerous level.

He definitely sounds like he has some serious mental issues, that need to be dealt with. Most likely there is nothing that can be done, until he does something extreme, like kill someone or try to kill someone. He can claim he is only protecting himself and his property, and he has the right to do so.

Recording his actions, without him knowing, then documenting anything that you find to be potentially wrong doing on his part, to show the police. But make it clear to them, you just want them to be aware of him and ask for any advice on what would be required to get your neighbor checked into a mental hospital. Then work on that, if possible. That's probably not possible, but every time the police show up at his house, after you call them, is going to greatly escalate the situation. There is a decent chance he will do something extreme, if the police show up at his place repeatedly.

you nor the police can be at your house 24/7 to protect your family, crazy people pick the most unlikely times to do crazy stuff. Keep that in mind, before you go making yourself and your family his primary target.

Comment

My cameras catch my neighbors houses and houses across the street. The fact he is using a camcorder that unless he has a lot of spare time recharging, deleting tapes/disk/memory...i bet its not even recording.

My neighbor was crazy and i just made sure i was cautious when my kids where outside and always polite to him, even when he made no sense. He actually was really accepting of us and bothered the other neighbors. He eventually burnt the house down and left a couple months ago. No drama was ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              Several lessons here.

1. Never, ever tell someone (especially a person with mental issues) that your wife, daughter, kids, etc... are home alone or when they are alone. You have never talked to this neighbor in 10 years, you know his family left him and yet you trust him with knowledge of your absence?

2. If you suspect someone is crazy, never come onto their property and give them cause.

3. "You catch more bees with sugar" Be nice to begin with rather than accusatory.
              I have to agree with this statement.

Comment

Start a youtube channel. Go out and mess we with him every day on film. You could be rich. It has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                  Legally not sure of anything. I’d definitely get a paper trail going with local officials. But the main thing that pop out at me was you told the guy that your wife & kid is at home by themselves while your at work sometimes. I would definitely keep a close eye on the guy. Not judging anyone but apparently something is wrong with him & you never know when he’ll snap. 1st things 1st protect your family!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  never disclose such info..even tho he probably has discovered that already.

And, the fact he brought up that he wasn't "a convicted felon" brings to mind that he may have had a close encounter with the law but got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Start a youtube channel. Go out and mess we with him every day on film. You could be rich. It has happened.
                    Lol. This^

Or, mind your own buisness. Sounds like you started a unnecessary situation and now have drama in your life

Comment

this is why i live where i cant see my neighbors...
                      time to move

Comment

Do you live in a HOA neighborhood? My next door neighbor sounds like he may be related to your neighbor. I have been facing the same issues (minus the gun) for several years and I finally got the HOA involved. They sent him a letter demanding he not point his cameras on anyone else's property.

On a side note, if you want to get him wound up I have found a few things that really get the job done. If you have a friend with a drone, have them park a couple of blocks away and send it up when he's outside. You really want to hoover the drone about 5-10 feet above this neighbors head. A good 5mins seems to do the trick. Next, do a bit of people watching and see what bothers this person most. In my case, this particular neighbor does not like noise. Since my garage faces his house I have installed a very nice stereo in my garage. Once he starts his issues with me, my family, or the neighborhood kids I politely turn on Motley Crue or Pantera to a level I can comfortably hear inside my house. This most always causes him to return into his house. Lastly, you want to keep some chairs, cold Dr. Pepper, waters, or gatorade in you garage. When the police come by invite them to visit and help themselves to a cold drink, before you know half the block will be over. The children really enjoy when the officers play basketball with them and let them tour the police cars. Don't forget to ask them to turn on the lights and sirens!

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                          Call the police.
                          He brought out a gun and threatened you.
                          Mental health issues and guns are not a good combination.
                          Good luck.
                          When he introduced a gun into the situation he crossed a line. Not illegal to have/display on your own property, but that was a threat.

Comment

I’d start messing with the back of his house. Leave small enigmatic electronic devices, cryptic messages, move things. Make him shift the focus of his ops in the other direction.

While that would be fun, I’d leave him alone. Tell my family to steer clear.

Comment

Originally posted by perryr View Post
                              Do you live in a HOA neighborhood? My next door neighbor sounds like he may be related to your neighbor. I have been facing the same issues (minus the gun) for several years and I finally got the HOA involved. They sent him a letter demanding he not point his cameras on anyone else's property.

On a side note, if you want to get him wound up I have found a few things that really get the job done. If you have a friend with a drone, have them park a couple of blocks away and send it up when he's outside. You really want to hoover the drone about 5-10 feet above this neighbors head. A good 5mins seems to do the trick. Next, do a bit of people watching and see what bothers this person most. In my case, this particular neighbor does not like noise. Since my garage faces his house I have installed a very nice stereo in my garage. Once he starts his issues with me, my family, or the neighborhood kids I politely turn on Motley Crue or Pantera to a level I can comfortably hear inside my house. This most always causes him to return into his house. Lastly, you want to keep some chairs, cold Dr. Pepper, waters, or gatorade in you garage. When the police come by invite them to visit and help themselves to a cold drink, before you know half the block will be over. The children really enjoy when the officers play basketball with them and let them tour the police cars. Don't forget to ask them to turn on the lights and sirens!
                              My man, I like your style (minus the HOA… I’ll never subject myself to those power hungry rat bassturds)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                                Once the gun comes out, time to head inside and come up with a different strategy.
                                If he’s half nuts he ain’t too far from using it.

There’s a self defense video of a bad neighbor run in ending in a double shooting not too long ago.
                                I’ll go dig it up....

Active Self Defense video- Graphic warning -
                                https://youtu.be/Id9pd8zfQcs
                                Holly S**t that video was crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X