No announcement yet.

Tell me about your home energy back up system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20kw whole home with a big propane tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
      12,500 watt dual fuel Westinghouse generator. Interlock kit on the 200 amp panel, 50 amp inlet box, 50 amp generator cord. We are installing an extra riser and regulator off our 500 gallon propane tank for the dual fuel generator. I have a smaller 4000/3500 watt generator for a back up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve been eyeballing that Westinghouse. I think this is exactly what we are going to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
        My FIL bought one of these and two 40 or 60 bs propane bottles.
        80 to 120gln of propane will last approx. 32 to 48 hours of continuous run time.. based on 2.5gln per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
          I’m ready for your suggestions on reputable sales folks to call.
          The generator/solar industry seems like there’s some room for shade trees.

Call Lowe’s and they will send a sales rep out. We were quoted $11,000.00 for a 22k whole house generator. I currently have a 11,000 starting, 10,000 running watt generator with a transfer switch. I think we payed around $1100.00 for installation. Btw, I think Lowe’s purchases their Generacs fro the GenerTor Supercenter in Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then I’ll get it all setup
            Curious why you went with Cummins and not a Generac or another brand? I’m looking at putting one in new ranch house but just started researching.

Comment

Generac 32KW natural gas whole home generator. Ive had it nearly 2 years and my wife thinks it's one of the best decisions Ive ever made. Probably second to marrying her, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                Or do like what I’ve seen suggested. Keep an 8k btu window unit a/c for power outages. If the power goes out, slap the window unit into a living room window. Close all other doors in the house and only cool that one area. A 5k generator can run that a/c, some lights, a fan or two, and a fridge.

But if you go this route then you need to store at least a tank or two of gas for it.
                I just bought a Champion Dual Fuel portable gen (7850 start / 6250 run) from HD; delivered yesterday, to serve as a backup. Will be ordering a portable AC unit soon (11k, dual hose). Main purpose is to run the AC unit and main fridge during blackouts. Will more than cover those 2 plus a few smaller things as well. Will look into a whole house unit once we move in a year or two, but this will do for now.

Comment

Tell me about your home energy back up system

We retired in rural Montana. House heated by forced hot air with a buried 1,000 gallon propane tank supplemented by a wood stove.

I went Cummins 9500w (max) portable generator with a 40 pound RV propane tank. I bought clamps and built a holder on the non-exhaust side of the generator, and replaced the 2 rubber bumper feet with swiveling/ lockable casters.

I did not hook it into the house’s propane so it was a self-contained system to roll outside the garage. I did not want 6.6 gallons of gasoline in the garage and then having to drain/ burn it off and refill periodically.

I figured I’d need it in -20 Montana winters. A car hit a power pole today on the highway and 460 homes lost power.

When we wired the house we knew we’d need a sub panel for all the breakers. We put it in the garage and have all ‘mission critical’ branch circuits in it- well, septic tank pump, freezer, kitchen, selected lights. The spec sheet says I should get 22 hours at 25% generator load.

It works. The Cummins generator is loud. Total cost

Generator $1,050 (dual fuel)
                  Casters $25
                  Tank clamps and hardware $60
                  Filled 40# propane tank $120
                  Connecting cable $100
                  Incremental cost in new home wiring unknown as it was in his bid.

Total $1,355 plus several hours to put the tank on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    We retired in rural Montana. House heated by forced hot air with a buried 1,000 gallon propane tank supplemented by a wood stove.

I went Cummins 9500w (max) portable generator with a 40 pound RV propane tank. I bought clamps and built a holder on the non-exhaust side of the generator, and replaced the 2 rubber bumper feet with swiveling/ lockable casters.

I did not hook it into the house’s propane so it was a self-contained system to roll outside the garage. I did not want 6.6 gallons of gasoline in the garage and then having to drain/ burn it off and refill periodically.

I figured I’d need it in -20 Montana winters. A car hit a power pole today on the highway and 460 homes lost power.

When we wired the house we knew we’d need a sub panel for all the breakers. We put it in the garage and have all ‘mission critical’ branch circuits in it- well, septic tank pump, freezer, kitchen, selected lights. The spec sheet says I should get 22 hours at 25% generator load.

It works. The Cummins generator is loud. Total cost

Generator $1,050 (dual fuel)
                    Casters $25
                    Tank clamps and hardware $60
                    Filled 40# propane tank $120
                    Connecting cable $100
                    Incremental cost in new home wiring unknown as it was in his bid.

Total $1,355 plus several hours to put the tank on.

Great setup but real curious why you didn’t add the option to plumb it to the 1000 gal tank?

Comment

Good question.

First I need to roll it out of the garage so not to have a CO issue. I’m really not sure how a flexible line would connect to a propane wall valve.

Second, our plumber said it could be added in the future if needed.

Third, a 40# tank should give us 22 hours. Today we ran it for around 7 hours and used 13# of propane. Very close to what the spec sheet says. I think most outages will be like today.

Comment

I'm good!

Picked this up yesterday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210628_230815.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	24654505
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210624_212200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	24654506

Comment

Will you post a picture of give the part number of the inlet piece that is mounted on the house?

Comment

Here you go.

Comment

Have a friend looking for a stand alone. He is getting quotes that are double what they were 3 years ago and one company is saying late September install. The rest will not give him a date.........

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                                Have a friend looking for a stand alone. He is getting quotes that are double what they were 3 years ago and one company is saying late September install. The rest will not give him a date.........

Those charging double are just trying to maximize profit due to the demand. Just like painters, plumbers, etc. They don’t need the work so they’ll only do it for stupid money. Prices have increased some, but nowhere near double. The company giving a date, I would not trust. Every time we order a unit for a customer, Generac or Kohler push the date back. The demand in Texas was huge. We had 80 calls/voicemails before we ever even opened back up the Monday after the winter storm and they kept rolling in ever since. Heck, Generac keeps calling us trying to take customers hours and hours away from us because their local rep is so covered up they aren’t returning calls. I would not be surprised if it’s a full year before some of our customers see their units installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X