giblets and rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

giblets and rice

I don't know how widespread this dish is, but it has become really popular in the last few years around Lavaca County, especially Shiner and Hallettsville. It is really popular at the Church picnics or festivals and other fundraisers.

I recently bought some plates to go at the Fordtran Volunteer fundraiser. Although everything was good, I could have hurt myself on the giblets and rice.

Anyway, I am cooking some now, so I hope it turns out nearly as good. The recipe is actually from Destination Shiner , which was sponsored by the Shiner Chamber of Commerce. But I have tweeked it a little here and there . I am actually tripling it and cooking it in a #12 Dutch oven, so I hope it doesn't overflow. Anyway, here is what I did:

3 cups of white long grain rice
    6 cups chicken broth
    chicken hearts and gizzards (about 1 lb. gizzards and 1/2 lb. hearts) more won't hurt
    1 large onion
    Approx. 1 bunch of green onions
    2 bell peppers
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 1/2 cups of melted butter
    salt and pepper to taste

I partially cooked the gizzards and hearts (although the original recipe said to just add them raw. I diced up the gizzards and hearts, green onions, onion, bell peppers and crushed the garlic.

Started the broth in the Dutch oven, when it was boiling, I added all the ingredients except salt and pepper. Reduced heat and simmered as low as I could for 20 minutes. I had the flame go out a couple of times, since I was trying to cook as low as I could . But the rice seemed done in that time.

I then added salt and pepper. Next time, I think I will add the salt and pepper from the beginning, since the stirring causes the rice to be mushy , and not fluffy. But all in all, it is pretty dang good.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wickll; 11-12-2022, 06:09 PM. Reason: add

I join the shiner big buck contest just to get their giblets and rice. It is decibels my favorite side dish.

Comment

Gizzards, check
      Hearts, check
      Rice, check

Sounds mmmmm……mmmmmmm……..good!

Comment

What you have is old school Cajun Jambalaya from down on da bayou before we got so fancy with it. It’s very good made plain and simple like you have done. Great job Wickll.

If I might suggest taking some chicken thighs and brown them off a little with your giblets in a little bit of oil. This will add a whole new level of flavor. As it is browning keep adding a little water to your pot so it doesn’t over carmalize. Once you have browned it off you can build your pot just the way you did leaving everything in. Don’t be afraid to add a little cayenne and white pepper for additional flavor.

Note: Growing up this was the way we cooked wild ducks and geese.
        Last edited by Gumbo Man; 11-12-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          What you have is old school Cajun Jambalaya from down on da bayou before we got so fancy with it. It’s very good made plain and simple like you have done. Great job Wickll.

If I might suggest taking some chicken thighs and brown them off a little with your giblets in a little bit of oil. This will add a whole new level of flavor. As it is browning keep adding a little water to your pot so it doesn’t over carmalize. Once you have browned it off you can build your pot just the way you did leaving everything in. Don’t be afraid to add a little cayenne and white pepper for additional flavor.

Note: Growing up this was the way we cooked wild ducks and geese.
          I figured that this dish had Cajun roots. It has really gotten popular in the last 10 years in our Czech/German communities.

Comment

i will try this one for sure. thanks

Comment

That looks delicious!

I used chicken gizzards, hearts, and liver along with ground pork and beef to make my rice dressing. My mom is from Ville Platte, Louisiana so my recipe is the real deal!

Comment

I'm going to have to give this a go as I like to make gumbo with livers, hearts, and gizzards.

Comment

Originally posted by AM Cloutier View Post
                  That looks delicious!

I used chicken gizzards, hearts, and liver along with ground pork and beef to make my rice dressing. My mom is from Ville Platte, Louisiana so my recipe is the real deal!
                  Home of the Kit Kat Club, The Last Chance, The Bank Note, The Jungle, The Pig Stand, and Floyds Record Shop. I still have a few scars on my head from chasing those crazy girls in Ville Platte and Vidrine

Drink Many a beer at Sheriff Floyd Soileau's place while the prisoners he would let out of jail roasted hogs and cooked for the get togethers.
                  Last edited by Bayouboy; 11-16-2022, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AM Cloutier View Post
                    That looks delicious!

I guess I never heard of rice dressing before, but probably about the same thing, right? Keep in mind growing up , we ate potatoes, seldom rice. The only way my mom fixed rice was just plain cooked rice, and then sugar and cinnamon on it for a dessert. (maybe a little cream or milk) But I might have to look up rice dressing.

The giblets and rice I recently had on some fundraiser plates I recently had was awesome. But maybe it just tasted better because I didn't cook it.

Comment

Looks really good

Comment

yes.. very much so. Need Livers

Comment

Rice dressing and dirty rice is the same thing. You have probably heard of dirty rice. My mom always called it rice dressing.

Comment

trying this! thanks

Comment

Definitely going to make this

Comment

Working...
                              X