How to make a snare pole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a snare pole?

I shot a huge badger before dark. I must not have hit him too good because he was hissing and snarling when I looked down the hole. I shot in after him but debris was in the way so I don't know how good I hit him with the second shot either but he made it far enough down the hole I couldn't grab his tail or back leg to drag him out. My arm is barely too short.

Could I take a piece of conduit about 6 foot long and some #12 wire long enough to make into a loop so I can grab ahold of it or how would you do it?

Glad I couldn’t sleep and saw this. Step 1) Grab camera. Step 2) your plan should work. I’d prefer a longer pole , but, I digress. Step 3) Don’t forget step 1. Best of luck. I’ll be following. Reading some of your stuff, I can’t wait!

Comment

It shouldn't be too big of a deal I don't think. I actually didn't know he was there until I cleared some of that stuff out that had blown down that hole. I could touch the end of his tail and he didn't move and I couldn't hear any noises so I think he's done for. That's not a certainty I really don't know. But I think so.

Comment

The problem is I have no idea where he's hit. My first shot I think hit him in the chest or the neck. The second one I was shooting through a two inch gap and it was just dark enough I could barely see fur. So I probably shot it in the butt. Purely a guess.

Comment

Tie some barbed wire on the end of the pole. Run in the hole by the badger and go to twisting the pole causing wire to catch in the skin then pull it out. Longer the pole bigger headstart you have to outrun the badger.

Comment

Snake grabber or snare pole should work

Comment

How would I do it?

That's your question?

I have both a backhoe and a bobcat, so I would probably use one of those to move dirt on top of the hole and go on about my way.

Comment

Pour some gas in the hole and throw a match in on it.

Comment

I'd get a shovel and dig out the burrow some to retrieve it, you'll know real fast if it's dead or not.
                  No way I would stick my hand and arm down there, lots of fleas and vermin live in those burrows with badgers.

Comment

It’s a rumor that they bite. They actually like being petted. Just reach in and give him a scratch and he will come right out. I’d take video just to show everyone though.

Comment

A fish gaff would work perfect

Comment

Dig him out

Comment

Originally posted by Sidro View Post
                          Tie some barbed wire on the end of the pole. Run in the hole by the badger and go to twisting the pole causing wire to catch in the skin then pull it out. Longer the pole bigger headstart you have to outrun the badger.
                          I thought about the barn wire trick but I can't think of where any barn wire is that I could use. I saw a roll of it somewhere I just can't remember where that was or if it's even still there. I may try that if the snare pole doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Snake grabber or snare pole should work
                            My first thought was to use my snake grabbers but they're made out of EMT and my high dollar ones are made from aluminum. It's a pretty chunky badger and I'd hate to bend my grabbers. My buddy has some scrap wire and EMT so I figured I may as well try to rig up a snare pole right fast. If it bends it, it won't matter too much. It'll just go right back in his scrap pile.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Dig him out
                              If all else fails this is the route I'll go. I'd imagine that ground is harder than heck and might take a while so hopefully the easier way works.

Comment

Working...
                              X