Sons adjustable A400 stock install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sons adjustable A400 stock install

Started shooting skeet with my son last year having a blast while shooting 11-87 20g youth on a regular basis. We continued this past summer and fall with much improvement as well. Being almost 13 and growing creates a few hurdles with consistent fit on the existing 11-87. This brought me to a point looking for alternatives that would be flexible over the next few years.

There's minimal off the shelf support for youth shooting sports unless spending large money either buying something new every year or installing a TSK system over $2k. Looking at a existing 20ga A400 in the safe, figured why not entertain installing an adjustable Graco with KickEez pad that could grow with him over time. The recoil is minimal while the weight is great and will cycle anything you feed it. So I made a trip to the National Shooting Complex during the World event figuring someone there could point me in the right direction.
    After speaking to several gunsmiths and shooting experts, everyone basically told me it would be too difficult or cost $1000 plus to install. One guy wanted a $400 custom fitting fee added plus the install labor. I just couldn't see what the big deal was. The National Complex was worth the effort and very cool to see regardless.

So I returned back home and did a little pre measuring figuring out if there was enough meat and cutting depth with the bolt in the stock. Everything looked good so ordered the Graco and a 1/2" pad ($120).
    Attached Files

First step was figuring the actual Length of Pull I needed for the amount of stock to be removed. His existing 11-87 is around 12 7/8" lop which is a little short. Figuring a standard extended 14 1/2" LOP, I would be able to get a minimal 13 1/8" which would be perfect. I would need to remove exactly 1 1/2" of existing stock.

Stressful step with replacement stocks costing around $800. As simple as it appears, the cut is very important in regards to the angle of pad. With shims in place, the cut worked out well.

Next step was centering the adjustable plate to the stock allowing the two screws enough wood to be secured. Then scribed the stock outline on the plate for cutting, grinding, and sanding. The plate was considerably larger than the modified stock.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Notaguide; 11-06-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Began by cutting the excess aluminum off the edges with the metal blade to begin sanding. 80grit on the belt sander eventually worked its way thru but was a slow process. Heat build up probably added 4x the time required to actually fit the plate.

As it got close, the KickEez was added for final belt sanding. Once all three pieces were correct, I hand sanded the final fit. All in, it took around 3.5hrs.

Overall very pleased with the outcome and flexibility it brings. My son was even able to break it in a little yesterday at the lease.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Notaguide; 11-06-2022, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Good job, if you feather the top edge on the pad just a little it will mount to shoulder smoother without grabbing and dragging on clothing.

Comment

Nice work. These are my favorite projects. Taking something that is already a nice/good and making it just a bit better.

Like the quality fit and pondering one for myself once season is over.

Comment

Great project. Turned out awesome. Quality work.

Comment

I know a bunch of people (mostly girls) shooting TSKs. Most are constantly having to refit every few shoots.

I think you made the right choice. And yea, nsca grounds are nice

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good looking and beautiful wood!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Working...
                  X