KB Ranch Biscuits and Gravy Casserole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heath View Post
    Bringing this to the top for the rifle opener.

The question is to finish the gravy first or let it cook in the oven?
    Yes
    Make the gravy the add and then ito the oven

Comment

I got to try that

Comment

KB Ranch Biscuits and Gravy Casserole

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
        Yes
        Make the gravy the add and then ito the oven

Agreed…. Make it first and mix it in with the ingredients ..

This has been a hit everywhere we have made it since finding the recipe here. Dang good stuff

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Wash it down with coffee and a good beer then hit the stand.

Good stuff !

Comment

This is always a hit. I’m going to put chopped pickled jalapeños in it next time and see how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken fried View Post
                This is always a hit. I’m going to put chopped pickled jalapeños in it next time and see how it turns out.
                Glad you Like This Dish....Great idea....Spice It up

Comment

looks great

Comment

This is one of those recipes that are easy to tweak to your taste, such as suggested jalapeños. You could probably sauté some onions or layer blanched thin sliced potatoes as examples but I have never done either.

I have made the casserole many times over the years. I started out with the exact recipe in the OP.

I made a couple of minor changes to suit my taste but I typically make it at work and it is always a hit.

Instead of mixing the raw eggs with milk and pouring it over the sausage and biscuits, I scramble a dozen eggs instead before adding it. I like the texture and taste better than the raw eggs which the couple of times that I did that method, fluffed up like quiche. Some people may love that texture and taste but I liked the way it came out with the scrambled eggs.

I usually omit the cheese as I didn’t feel like it added much but either way was okay. Other than scrambling the eggs the only real change was making two packets of the Pioneer gravy mix. The extra gravy adds more flavor in my opinion and made for a better dish.

I have also made it with crumbled bacon in place of the sausage and it was great. I made it one time by mixing the bacon and the sausage. It was OK, but the flavors seemed to compete with each other. Now I stick with just one or the other.

An experiment that I thought would be the bomb turned out to be one that I will never repeat. It sucked. I diced up some Zummo Party Time links that I love in various dishes, simmered or simmered in bbq sauce. I figured it had to be great in this recipe. Nope. The flavor profile absolutely did not match the other ingredients. The link with a biscuit would have been great as a breakfast sandwich. Mixed in with the other ingredients in a casserole……. not so much.

I imagine that browned ground beef (or deer) with salt, pepper and maybe garlic would be a great dish in place of the sausage. People always ask for a different use of ground venison. This could be the ticket. Maybe a pound of ground meat with one of the many other the counter taco seasoning packets would add a great Mexican or southwest flavor to the breakfast casserole.

Now I am making myself hungry. I might try the taco breakfast casserole thus week…..

I still have a couple of packs of Ragin’ Blaze taco seasoning. Hmmmm….

Comment

Just finished making and eating this. Always good.

Comment

Looks Good

Comment

Gonna try it with some if that HEB Reaper cheese, if they have it!

Comment

I tried my own suggestion and used a pound of ground beef made into taco filling instead of pork pan sausage. I used the new Ragin’ Blaze taco seasoning just like it said on the package (which is typical for taco seasoning). Brown the meat, pour off the fat and add water and the seasoning, then simmer for a few minutes.

I used that pound of taco meat instead of the sausage and it came out great. The only thing I changed from the way I usually make it was that swapped out the pan sausage for the taco filling.

Comment

My take on this classic.
                              Used venison breakfast sausage, added some Southern style hash browns, and used the H-E-B country gravy mix.
                              Smoked in a Dutch oven in my smoker for about an hour. Turned out fantastic!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Working...
                                X