Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #5701
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Southwest Colorado terrain looks like no joke! Anyone hunted this part of the state? Any advice/input?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
20 plus years. It’s CO, in general it’s steep and can get real thin on oxygen just about any where from the eastern front to Utah.

AZ, NM, Utah, Nevada, Okla, WY and MT tend to be less physical... grant it Tag availability is a touch different
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #5702
wytex
Eight Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
What do you think about recent SC ruling w/the crow
Wyoming has a history of not working with NA on almost any issue they have or bring up, casinos come to mind. Our Govn. didn't want them then and wouldn't work out a deal on taxes or payments to the state they proposed. Took us to court and they won, no extra money from their casinos to our state.

This will affect elk hunting in the Bighorns no doubt. Evidently the court did leave us room for conservation considerations and sent it back to lower courts for some clarification.
It will be interesting to see how our state responds, many times they just dig their heels in a fight a losing battle.
I fear moose hunting in the Bighorns will also suffer.
Look for company this fall elk hunting I bet if you have a tag for the Bighorn Mts.

It's a hard argument since the lands are federally owner, NF, so I see their points. Glad we don't live up there for sure.

Many believe G&F will have to cut tags for elk hunting up there , perhaps it will affect NR more than residents. Talk is they will issue tags to Crow tribe members who want them and take them from the quota for all elk tags. They will not have to "apply" but be issued to them I hear. G&F will try to maintain control of the number of tags issued based on the " conservation" aspect of the ruling.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #5703
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Well I’ve taken a huge interest in this whole process! I believe I’ve narrowed it down to a small cluster of conjoining units for my next sept OTC diy trip. Relatively all the same mountain terrain been google earthing area looking for water, access roads, etc. I’m 16 months out and can’t wait lol. Can’t imagine the excitement you guys that will be chasing them soon have! Thankfully I’ll have a good bit of time to acquire things I’ll need. Any must have issentials or tips that good under the radar would be greatly appreciated. I’ve started reading the diy elk hunting book and been scouring the elk forums to pick up as much as i can.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #5704
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Some what if an ironic visit with my grandpa today.. we’ve always talked hunting, but never really specific he was a mountain hunter in his day. I being a whitetail hunter always just listened to some of his amazing stories. Today i was picking his brain he whips out an old map from his hunting camp they always went to. I kid you not it was the same NF i picked to hunt next year i was in shock he was a big mule deer hunter so was in a slightly different area, but very familiar with the range it was a great visit fun to see him reminiscing on the little details like bed rolls etc. crazy how small the world is









Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #5705
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

That's awesome!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #5706
Wits_End
Eight Point
 
Wits_End's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rockwall
Default

Very cool and crazy that the entire west and your talking same lands.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #5707
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

That mule deer is a BEAST!!!! What a great story and passion to share. I have hunted 78, 81, 751 and I will hopefully hunt mule deer in 74 this year. Cool country, all of it.

QUOTE=drop dead fred;14167768]Some what if an ironic visit with my grandpa today.. we’ve always talked hunting, but never really specific he was a mountain hunter in his day. I being a whitetail hunter always just listened to some of his amazing stories. Today i was picking his brain he whips out an old map from his hunting camp they always went to. I kid you not it was the same NF i picked to hunt next year i was in shock he was a big mule deer hunter so was in a slightly different area, but very familiar with the range it was a great visit fun to see him reminiscing on the little details like bed rolls etc. crazy how small the world is









Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #5708
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
Very cool and crazy that the entire west and your talking same lands.


Yes it was pretty neat he had a card with the elevation and small map. It was cool and just added to my excitement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #5709
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default The Elk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
That mule deer is a BEAST!!!! What a great story and passion to share. I have hunted 78, 81, 751 and I will hopefully hunt mule deer in 74 this year. Cool country, all of it.



QUOTE=drop dead fred;14167768]Some what if an ironic visit with my grandpa today.. we’ve always talked hunting, but never really specific he was a mountain hunter in his day. I being a whitetail hunter always just listened to some of his amazing stories. Today i was picking his brain he whips out an old map from his hunting camp they always went to. I kid you not it was the same NF i picked to hunt next year i was in shock he was a big mule deer hunter so was in a slightly different area, but very familiar with the range it was a great visit fun to see him reminiscing on the little details like bed rolls etc. crazy how small the world is



















Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]



Yes sir 219” he’s an absolute stud has it all! I can honestly say idk what I’d do if he stepped out

Also how did you like 78?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #5710
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Also can anyone help me figure out how what’s the best way to locate what are accessible forest service roads? Is there a certain “search”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #5711
wytex
Eight Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

The Motor Vehicle Use Map, MVUM , will have the open roads and any closures or restrictions for each national forest. Take a look at the travel plan as well.
The MVUM is free from FS offices but you can look at them online.
Google the name of the Forest Service district and MVUM and it should pop up.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #5712
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
The Motor Vehicle Use Map, MVUM , will have the open roads and any closures or restrictions for each national forest. Take a look at the travel plan as well.
The MVUM is free from FS offices but you can look at them online.
Google the name of the Forest Service district and MVUM and it should pop up.


Awesome thank you! Now could you possibly explain these dates to me is it stating they’re open from May-March some what confusing... sorry I’m completely ignorant to the public land life appreciate the insight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #5713
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Also can anyone help me figure out how what’s the best way to locate what are accessible forest service roads? Is there a certain “search”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome story ddf!

I hunted unit 78 last year and found it extremely challenging... It was my first western style hunt and I was unprepared for a lot of it. I did a solo hunt as a lot of folks are interested in going on the adventure until it's actually time to go.

As you know, there are some very knowledgable peeps on here that you can get more information as to the area. Two TBHers gave me/shared info on units 78 and 81. I will try to find the info and pass it on.

My trip was an an awesome adventure although I ate elk tag soup. I learned a lot but still need way more schooling. Those elk are highly educated and were never threatened by me

Everything I was told by hunters whom I encountered out there was that the year was a brutally dry one. They also mentioned elk numbers were down in the area due to the drought like conditions. From my experiance, which I never encountered an elk it seemed logical. A lot of water holes were dry or drying and all had some sign of recent elk activity. I Hunted water several times but I assume the elk had been pushed of the public land. I was hunting near a valley containing a lot of private land.

I did not venture far enough into the wilderness area as I had initially planned. That was my biggest mistake (I think). Every place I hunted had recent elk activity to some extent but all had a whole lot of sign that hunters had been around. The cams I set up on trails all captured mule deer activity but no elk activity.

Here Is a link to some of the public land roads that provide access to the South San Juan Wilderness area the national forest area surrounding the wideness area. Most of this is east of the Pagosa Springs area. It apppears some of the areas are close due to rain and snow melt. Hoping this will be a wetter year out there

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...telprdb5262330

Last edited by Pedernal; 05-27-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #5714
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

It is a good unit, but if you are going early you better be up high!!! Most all the lower country is so dang thick with oak brush it is no fun. You need to be down low the first couple of days of the season to hunt resident elk, or go up to tree line. Go way high for the bigger bulls. Big country, super beautiful


QUOTE=drop dead fred;14167947][/QUOTE]



Yes sir 219” he’s an absolute stud has it all! I can honestly say idk what I’d do if he stepped out

Also how did you like 78?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #5715
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Awesome story ddf!

I hunted unit 78 last year and found it extremely challenging... It was my first western style hunt and I was unprepared for a lot of it. I did a solo hunt as a lot of folks are interested in going on the adventure until it's actually time to go.

As you know, there are some very knowledgable peeps on here that you can get more information as to the area. Two TBHers gave me/shared info on units 78 and 81. I will try to find the info and pass it on.

My trip was an an awesome adventure although I ate elk tag soup. I learned a lot but still need way more schooling. Those elk are highly educated and were never threatened by me

Everything I was told by hunters whom I encountered out there was that the year was a brutally dry one. They also mentioned elk numbers were down in the area due to the drought like conditions. From my experiance, which I never encountered an elk it seemed logical. A lot of water holes were dry or drying and all had some sign of recent elk activity. I Hunted water several times but I assume the elk had been pushed of the public land. I was hunting near a valley containing a lot of private land.

I did not venture far enough into the wilderness area as I had initially planned. That was my biggest mistake (I think). Every place I hunted had recent elk activity to some extent but all had a whole lot of sign that hunters had been around. The cams I set up on trails all captured mule deer activity but no elk activity.

Here Is a link to some of the public land roads that provide access to the South San Juan Wilderness area the national forest area surrounding the wideness area. Most of this is east of the Pagosa Springs area. It apppears some of the areas are close due to rain and snow melt. Hoping this will be a wetter year out there

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...telprdb5262330


That’s what i heard as well the terrain is roughhhhh and you better be prepared! We’re looking at a 4 mile hike in to are “desired” area from a major hwy. If we can use the access road it’ll get us to within 1.5 miles thank you so much for your insight! That map doesn’t show the particular road I’m lookin for, but I’ve been scouring their sight trying to learn as much as i can. Greatly appreciated bud!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #5716
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default The Elk Thread

TWP... we’re looking at 10,000’+

Last edited by drop dead fred; 05-27-2019 at 12:09 PM.
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #5717
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
That’s what i heard as well the terrain is roughhhhh and you better be prepared! We’re looking at a 4 mile hike in to are “desired” area from a major hwy. If we can use the access road it’ll get us to within 1.5 miles thank you so much for your insight! That map doesn’t show the particular road I’m lookin for, but I’ve been scouring their sight trying to learn as much as i can. Greatly appreciated bud!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool... I have the OnX maps app. let me know if I can search the area for the road you are seeking to locate. No need for specific gps #s of your desired location just pm me a general location and I could possibly provide some snap shots to the area via the OnX maps.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #5718
wytex
Eight Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Awesome thank you! Now could you possibly explain these dates to me is it stating they’re open from May-March some what confusing... sorry I’m completely ignorant to the public land life appreciate the insight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That means it is closed in April.
It opens in May when conditions permit, snowmelt etc. then stays open until March of the next year. Closes in April and reopens in May again.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #5719
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
That means it is closed in April.

It opens in May when conditions permit, snowmelt etc. then stays open until March of the next year. Closes in April and reopens in May again.


That’s how i was reading it but wanted to make sure. Thank you for the clarification


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #5720
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

I think I need a whiskey drinking/vacation hunt before my next elk hunt in 2020. Maybe I can organize a tbh bear hunt of some kind next spring.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #5721
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Get your WY deer/antelope apps in if you need them big bucks.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #5722
wytex
Eight Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

We just got another nice storm with good snow for the mountains and lots of rain down lower. Gonna be a good year in some areas for horns and antlers!
Hoping it was the last snow of the spring as leaves are coming out now and my garden needs some warm weather and sunshine.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #5723
Felix40
Ten Point
 
Felix40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cloudcroft, NM
Hunt In: Public land
Default

Name:  A4B9CA9E-64A3-4D42-894D-7F83C9A45D9E.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  77.6 KB
The bulls are growing in NM. Ive been seeing a bunch that are 4 points now. These guys were running around my neighborhood like kids on a playground yesterday.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #5724
7sdad
Ten Point
 
7sdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Looking
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
I think I need a whiskey drinking/vacation hunt before my next elk hunt in 2020. Maybe I can organize a tbh bear hunt of some kind next spring.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I might be in for this.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #5725
44mAG
Ten Point
 
44mAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buda, TX
Default

Only 4 months to go and I'll be chasing bulls east of Jackson Wy!
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #5726
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Any One ever Hunted 6a In New Mexico?
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #5727
TildenHunter
Pope & Young
 
TildenHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Any One ever Hunted 6a In New Mexico?
I have buddies that do
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #5728
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bozeman, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post
Attachment 958725

The bulls are growing in NM. Ive been seeing a bunch that are 4 points now. These guys were running around my neighborhood like kids on a playground yesterday.

Behind our house this morning, Bozeman MT. We’ve seen hundreds of cows, zero bulls moving down into the farms.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #5729
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Awesome story ddf!

I hunted unit 78 last year and found it extremely challenging... It was my first western style hunt and I was unprepared for a lot of it. I did a solo hunt as a lot of folks are interested in going on the adventure until it's actually time to go.

As you know, there are some very knowledgable peeps on here that you can get more information as to the area. Two TBHers gave me/shared info on units 78 and 81. I will try to find the info and pass it on.

My trip was an an awesome adventure although I ate elk tag soup. I learned a lot but still need way more schooling. Those elk are highly educated and were never threatened by me

Everything I was told by hunters whom I encountered out there was that the year was a brutally dry one. They also mentioned elk numbers were down in the area due to the drought like conditions. From my experiance, which I never encountered an elk it seemed logical. A lot of water holes were dry or drying and all had some sign of recent elk activity. I Hunted water several times but I assume the elk had been pushed of the public land. I was hunting near a valley containing a lot of private land.

I did not venture far enough into the wilderness area as I had initially planned. That was my biggest mistake (I think). Every place I hunted had recent elk activity to some extent but all had a whole lot of sign that hunters had been around. The cams I set up on trails all captured mule deer activity but no elk activity.

Here Is a link to some of the public land roads that provide access to the South San Juan Wilderness area the national forest area surrounding the wideness area. Most of this is east of the Pagosa Springs area. It apppears some of the areas are close due to rain and snow melt. Hoping this will be a wetter year out there

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanju...telprdb5262330
Ironically all the elk I called in last year where down low 7-8k foot(not far off main road you took in). I went deep in Wilderness and had minimal sign so I came out I had to go to my old low deer spots to find elk. Last year was rough.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #5730
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

FYI anyone looking for a Pack EXO just discounted last years model that had some color blemishes.

Pretty darn good deal
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #5731
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
FYI anyone looking for a Pack EXO just discounted last years model that had some color blemishes.

Pretty darn good deal
Link?
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #5732
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Not too shabby, when are you going to officially become Bill in Bozeman??? Glad you got out of CA.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Behind our house this morning, Bozeman MT. We’ve seen hundreds of cows, zero bulls moving down into the farms.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #5733
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bozeman, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default The Elk Thread

I changed it to Bill- we’re probably not building in Bozeman when we find land.

We’ve not seen the whole herd in several weeks- here are ‘the girls’ across the street.

Bulls are up high in the Gallatin NF. Although I hear they can be pushed down during rifle season.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #5734
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Link?
Ranger color is an -$75, also if you have a University of Elk membership think Cory has a 10% discount code also.

https://exomtngear.com/products/k2-3500-backpack
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #5735
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Ranger color is an -$75, also if you have a University of Elk membership think Cory has a 10% discount code also.



https://exomtngear.com/products/k2-3500-backpack


Thanks brother!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #5736
Easttxbowman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Exo makes an extremely comfortable pack... I will say the stone glaciers have much better bags though.
Easttxbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #5737
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default




This was the bag i was looking at...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #5738
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post



This was the bag i was looking at...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Just know that doesn’t look like it comes with the frame.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #5739
Easttxbowman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Rokslide classifieds will be your friend
Easttxbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 03:02 PM   #5740
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Mex. Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: La Grange Tx.
Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico
Default

Its Hard to Beat The Horn hunter Pack Price. Optics Planet Has been Selling Them at a Good price.
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #5741
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Rokslide classifieds will be your friend


Glad you posted this I’ve been meaning to sign up there


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 PM   #5742
huntingfanatic
Ten Point
 
huntingfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington.Tx
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
Just know that doesn’t look like it comes with the frame.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yep this^^. That’s probably bag and lid only. Frame is gonna bump it up price wise a lot.

I’m waiting on the new Exo coming out soon
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #5743
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Thanks for the info guys


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #5744
cram369
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

If your trip is next year, you might want to try the SG, EXO, and Kifaru frames with 80 lbs before you buy. Need to check but I think they will all be at hunters extravaganza in August, or in Houston. Their guys will also be able to fit you. You'll spend $700-$800 before it's over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
cram369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #5745
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram369 View Post
If your trip is next year, you might want to try the SG, EXO, and Kifaru frames with 80 lbs before you buy. Need to check but I think they will all be at hunters extravaganza in August, or in Houston. Their guys will also be able to fit you. You'll spend $700-$800 before it's over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Awesome I’ll def have to give them a look... give me a reason to go to the extravaganza finally after some years away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #5746
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you back country boys
!! Started implementing a “mountain prep” workout... goal was 25 floors under 5 mins with 30 lbs post workout. Did it just a hair over 5.5 mins, but couple things I learned. 1) I’m gonna need to pack 100 gallons of water apparently lol 2) the thought of shooting with my HR at 170 is going to be interesting 3) I’ve got a good 15 lbs to lose

Goals 100 floors (no time frame) in the next month





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #5747
huntingfanatic
Ten Point
 
huntingfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington.Tx
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you back country boys
!! Started implementing a “mountain prep” workout... goal was 25 floors under 5 mins with 30 lbs post workout. Did it just a hair over 5.5 mins, but couple things I learned. 1) I’m gonna need to pack 100 gallons of water apparently lol 2) the thought of shooting with my HR at 170 is going to be interesting 3) I’ve got a good 15 lbs to lose

Goals 100 floors (no time frame) in the next month





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


This is by far my favorite elk training workout. I have tried several over the years and keep coming back to this machine. Get where you can do it without using the hand rails for the whole workout. I use a training pack with a bag of sand in it and a little extra weight to get to 50lbs. Our hunt last year ended with us covering 59 miles in 9 days.
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #5748
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you back country boys
!! Started implementing a “mountain prep” workout... goal was 25 floors under 5 mins with 30 lbs post workout. Did it just a hair over 5.5 mins, but couple things I learned. 1) I’m gonna need to pack 100 gallons of water apparently lol 2) the thought of shooting with my HR at 170 is going to be interesting 3) I’ve got a good 15 lbs to lose

Goals 100 floors (no time frame) in the next month





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I hate to take something from Cam Hanes. He has it right. It’s all mental. I’ve never once been in as good of shape as I have needed to be for a hunt. But you just hike until you get where your going. And when you kill an animal you put parts of it in your pack and hike in and out until it’s all in the cooler. I am in probably the worst shape of my life but I hiked 9 hours into a camp in NZ with 65# on my back. I think being in shape is one of those things that has a diminishing rate of return. If your a fat *** couch slob then ya work out. But if you can hike for 8 hours strait then doing stuff like work on your shot and hunting abilities will benefit you more than doing more step ups.


https://youtu.be/DQ2m5b-r1LM


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2019, 04:42 AM   #5749
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you back country boys
!! Started implementing a “mountain prep” workout... goal was 25 floors under 5 mins with 30 lbs post workout. Did it just a hair over 5.5 mins, but couple things I learned. 1) I’m gonna need to pack 100 gallons of water apparently lol 2) the thought of shooting with my HR at 170 is going to be interesting 3) I’ve got a good 15 lbs to lose

Goals 100 floors (no time frame) in the next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good work out there!! If you get a chance, walk some rocky trails even if it's not climbing elevation it will get your feet, ankles and knees used to the extra weight on uneven terrain.

Last edited by Pedernal; 06-02-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #5750
drop dead fred
Pope & Young
 
drop dead fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Willis
Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO
Default

Thanks guys! I work for ups so i avg 9-12 miles on the hoof a day.. my biggest concern really is my knee on the uneven ground or loose gravel. I’ll def be pulling the knee brace out! Gonna go to REI outside of Houston in a few weeks and try on and hopefully get a pair of boots.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com